The Goonies are Good Enough for Cyndi and friends
July 24, 2018 9:21 PM Subscribe
Cyndi Lauper’s 1985 music video Goonies 'r' Good Enough (part 1; part 2) is perhaps one of the single most bat-shit-crazy crossover moments in the history of pop culture – and I mean Japanese Nic Cage commercials crazy. [...] Lauper essentially takes on the role of The Goonies searching for buried treasurer (standard), The Fratelli’s however are replaced by an oddball selection of WWF wrestlers [...] Throw into this the actual Goonies themselves making an appearance in shameless Goonies promo t-shirts and Steven Spielbergo doing a piece to camera like a local sports anchor. It’s sheer 80s gold. Here’s a quick list of the  highlights that make this one of the greatest 12 minutes in entertainment and marketing history...
- Before The Goonies, Cyndi wrote a sneaky song about female masturbation, "She Bop," which she first explained to Dr. Ruth in 1984, and that got her on the Filthy 15 list of 1985
"I had to tell my mother what it was about and she was in the video - and all my aunts! That was all my aunts! They had no idea. Captain Lou - no idea. And he's so Catholic that when you walk into his house he has a big crucifix on the outside of the door, and a big crucifix on the inside of the door. He was an incredible guy, really sweet, and it didn't seem to bother him, and then he did Goonies with us and he was so wonderful."
- Making of the music video (4:31), a different, shorter cut of that same behind the scenes (2:46), and another short, rough making of video (0:54)
- The Goonies Famicom gameplay, featuring 8-bit rendition of the song, which makes a return in Goonies II on NES
- Goonies 'r' Good Enough Live - Japan 1986 BUDOKAN; Paris 1987; San Sebastián, España. 25 July 2011; Torino, Italy, July 7, 2016
- Arthur Baker's Goon Squad - "Eight Arms to Hold You" (music video), which was sort of used in The Goonies and included on the soundtrack, charting at number one on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play chart in 1985
- The Iron Sheik's twitter account
This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments