Very Slow Movie Player
December 30, 2018 5:55 PM   Subscribe

"Even though VSMP is very clearly a digital object that is either on or off, the sustained presence of the image gives the device a rounder presence in our world. It does not obviously turn on and off; instead, VSMP is always present. It renders the digital continuous. To me, it’s in these half-assembled states when VSMP is most clearly what Robin Sloan calls a flip flop. In this case, a film captured with the physical light of one place, turned into digitally manipulated images, which are then turned back into physical images, reflective and constant under a new sun."
posted by Gotanda (15 comments total) 28 users marked this as a favorite

I would like to have one of those.
posted by hippybear at 6:21 PM on December 30, 2018 [1 favorite]

This is neat as hell. Although now what I want is this, except it looks like a high resolution color photographic print(IE, not backlit), and it hangs on my wall in a picture frame.
posted by selfnoise at 6:37 PM on December 30, 2018 [1 favorite]

And now all you need is a Very Slow Movie Watcher...
posted by jim in austin at 6:41 PM on December 30, 2018 [2 favorites]

This is great except for some reason it's always in the middle of a sex scene when my parents drop by.
posted by ODiV at 7:01 PM on December 30, 2018 [11 favorites]

It sounds like this must have been accidental, but at 24 frames per hour, a year is time to watch about 2 and a half hours of video. You could pick a new movie to watch every New Years.
posted by duien at 7:04 PM on December 30, 2018 [4 favorites]

They are starting to make large-format color E-ink signs so having something like this on your wall is a real possibility.
posted by Mr.Encyclopedia at 7:06 PM on December 30, 2018 [1 favorite]

This is my kind of art. New project!
posted by q*ben at 7:11 PM on December 30, 2018 [1 favorite]

Just noticed this is Bryan Boyer. His work with Helsinki Design Lab is fantastic. He is the good side of architectural theory.
posted by q*ben at 7:18 PM on December 30, 2018

Fascinating, thanks!
posted by Johnny Wallflower at 7:30 PM on December 30, 2018

I didn't recognize Boyer before this, but I think I've seen some of his other posts. q*ben's links are definitely worth following beyond his other writing on Medium. Thanks, q*ben!
posted by Gotanda at 7:31 PM on December 30, 2018 [1 favorite]

This is excellent, and gives me some inspiration, and possibly a starting place, for a few idead I've had over the years.

Cool post.
posted by ethical_caligula at 11:44 PM on December 30, 2018 [1 favorite]

Oh neat. There's a bit in a Don Delillo book about an artist who's stretched out the movie Psycho to play over the course of 24 hours. It's creepy as hell.
posted by es_de_bah at 12:27 AM on December 31, 2018

selfnoise: This is built from e-paper, so it's not backlit. Another property that Boyer mentions that I wasn't aware of is that the image persists even after the power is turned off.

I find it odd that e-paper displays aren't all over the place in near-future SF, along with LCD-shutter glass. Just incredible little devices that look like ordinary windows or posters in the background, until they suddenly change and surprise us.
posted by skoosh at 6:04 AM on December 31, 2018 [1 favorite]

There's a bit in a Don Delillo book about an artist who's stretched out the movie Psycho to play over the course of 24 hours.

This was based on an actual work, by the artist Douglas Gordon.
posted by GeorgeBickham at 9:46 AM on December 31, 2018 [2 favorites]

If you don't want to build your own hardware, the "experimental" web browser in an e-paper Kindle runs JavaScript. I had a plan to show me sundown time (so I'd know when to hop on my bike to head home from work) using noun project icons based on the numerous weather station projects, for example.

Even if you don't want to dedicate a Kindle, you can prototype the player before diving in to the hardware.

If you don't want to have a server running 24/7, storing the frames uncompressed, even at only 1-bit deep, isn't likely to fit in a Kindle's 2-3GB. Trying to decode MP4 in JavaScript won't be fun, but JPEG support should be built in, so you just need to add dithering support which the VSMP author does provide a pointer to. ffmpeg & similar tools will convert a movie to a sequence of jpegs.
posted by ASCII Costanza head at 4:33 PM on January 1, 2019

« Older Recent reviews of reviews   |   The FBI of the NPS Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments