Marine FUNgi
August 23, 2019 12:02 PM   Subscribe

Marine Fungi are Totally Badass. An Aquatic Edition Of Fungi Friday: Marine Fungi And The Roles They Play. Want more about these weirdo understudied organisms? Fungi in the Marine Environment: Open Questions and Unsolved Problems. A History of Marine Mycology from the Mushroom Research Foundation.
posted by stoneweaver (5 comments total) 21 users marked this as a favorite

This post brought to you by "Be the weird you want to see in the world."
posted by stoneweaver at 2:39 PM on August 23, 2019 [2 favorites]

I have a biology-adjacent degree and I literally had no idea that there was such a thing as marine fungi. WAT.
posted by primalux at 7:28 PM on August 23, 2019 [1 favorite]

There is so much we don’t know about the oceans, and we are changing them so quickly.
posted by kerf at 8:44 PM on August 23, 2019

Ctrl+F "Anthony Amend".

Happy to see a commenter on the DSN article mention Dr. Amend's work. He's doing some cool stuff looking at associations between fungi and corals on reefs in Hawai‘i. An earlier study his group did looked at fungi sampled off of algae collected from ~300ft depth in Maui and some of the "species" (ITS sequences, actually) they surveyed appeared to be the same as species found on leaves in mountaintop forests.
posted by deadbilly at 2:22 AM on August 24, 2019 [2 favorites]

That is so awesome! Thank you deadbilly. I was really hoping we might have someone around here who would have more insight about marine fungi
posted by stoneweaver at 3:11 PM on August 24, 2019

« Older "time passes very slowly when you're in a hippo's...   |   On cooling the mark out Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments