Air Safety Video, K-pop style
November 6, 2019 7:27 AM   Subscribe

Korean Air's latest air safety video features K-pop supergroup SuperM, with narration by K-pop legend BoA.

Korean Air gained notoriety in 2014 for the "nut rage" incident involving the then-airline CEO's daughter.

SuperM is composed of members of SM Entertainment boy bands SHINee, EXO, and NCT. Their debut album achieved No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart, but not without controversy.
posted by needled (8 comments total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
 
"Please refrain from jopping while the seatbelt light is on."
posted by mittens at 7:31 AM on November 6 [2 favorites]


It would never cross my mind to call for a flight attendant when I drop my phone between the seat and armrest (as I do at least once per flight).
posted by The corpse in the library at 10:32 AM on November 6


I am not the least bit surprised to encounter a rapping bubble-gum pink teddy bear.
posted by CynicalKnight at 3:47 PM on November 6


Is this the singularity? It feels like the singularity.
posted by the bricabrac man at 6:08 PM on November 6


I'm sorry, what does the nut rage incident have to do with the video?
posted by anem0ne at 7:55 PM on November 6 [1 favorite]


SuperM is a ridiculous cash grab by Lee Sooman that i abhor etc etc, but the buzzfeed article was written by antis/ARMY that were attempting to slander the group's hard work. the article had to be amended many times after its publishing and the misinformation spread far and wide enough, through other means too not just the aforementioned bf article, that billboard had to address it three days later: "with 168,000 units earned in the week ending Oct. 10 in the U.S., of which an astonishing 98% or 164,000 were in album sales," meaning 2% of sales was via bundles which was the subject of the bf article's complaint.

anyway yeah, not that i fly ever anymore though this is surreal. love BoA, always and forever!
posted by one teak forest at 11:09 PM on November 6


"with 168,000 units earned in the week ending Oct. 10 in the U.S., of which an astonishing 98% or 164,000 were in album sales," meaning 2% of sales was via bundles which was the subject of the bf article's complaint

No, the way I understood it is that the 164,000 in album sales was mostly made up of bundles, and the remaining 4,000 "units" were from streaming, radio, etc., where one "unit" is based on 1500 streams. That's is a very, very low percentage of streaming numbers - by comparison the number-two charted album had 155 million streams that week, compared to only around 5 million for SuperM.

So the source of the controversy is that most charting albums are based on lots and lots of people actually listening to the songs (on streaming services), as opposed to simply buying multiple copies of albums that are bundled with merchandise.
posted by Umami Dearest at 7:40 AM on November 7


Re: K-Pop Boy Bands: season 2 of the Korean comedy/drama TV series 'Hello My Twenties!'/'Age of Youth' (on Netflix) has an interesting (and sad) sub-plot about retiring out aged K-Pop Boy Band performers.

80% of the plot of this series is a breezy look at university student life, dealing with roommates, classes, & boyfriends. (The other 20% (more so in the second series) is a look at the darker side of Korean culture dealing with crime, stalkers, harrassment, & trauma). It's quirky and well written. I highly recommend it if you like this kinda style.
posted by ovvl at 4:47 PM on November 7 [1 favorite]


« Older Consider the potato   |   Purchasing the virtuous triangle Newer »


You are not currently logged in. Log in or create a new account to post comments.