Meth. We're On It!
November 18, 2019 8:52 PM   Subscribe

South Dakota has launched a new campaign and program to address meth addiction. The campaign's theme of Midwestern sincerity, strength, perseverance, and focus is captured in its slogan and URL: Meth. We're On It.
posted by mattdidthat (47 comments total) 16 users marked this as a favorite

Twitter fails to disappoint.
posted by mattdidthat at 8:56 PM on November 18, 2019

Honestly, I love this. It’s going to go viral and be on every local evening news and city newspaper in the state. Voila, a tenfold increase in residents that know where to access some meth addiction resources. The S.D. Department of Social Services should (and probably will) win some awards for this.
posted by a box and a stick and a string and a bear at 9:08 PM on November 18, 2019 [17 favorites]

Refreshingly candid; maybe even effective. Good!
posted by Rash at 9:17 PM on November 18, 2019 [3 favorites]

I too was suckered into making fun of it before watching the commercial and realizing: that was the entire point, to be attention-grabbing
posted by DoctorFedora at 9:21 PM on November 18, 2019 [2 favorites]

Proud to say I got the idea on the first image. It's a good design.
posted by taterpie at 9:25 PM on November 18, 2019 [1 favorite]

Really this is pretty good.

"Drug are bad mm'kay?" is a horrible ad campaign. Really the best thing that can happen from a drug advertising awareness campaign is to get people to face what's really going on and to talk about it. Billboards don't convince people not to use drugs, nor to stop using drugs. I saw this in my news feed earlier and thought it was brilliant. Yeah, keep making the joke people. Then think about why it's funny.
posted by Slarty Bartfast at 9:25 PM on November 18, 2019 [8 favorites]

I've just finished reading the entire Jon Bois archive at SB Nation, and this feels like a culmination of that ethos.
posted by sagc at 9:33 PM on November 18, 2019 [4 favorites]

Is it supposed to be like "there is a double meaning (we are addressing the issue AND like folks we are all on meth)" or like "people think we messed up haha"?
posted by bleep at 9:54 PM on November 18, 2019 [1 favorite]

Another fine meth....
posted by oneswellfoop at 10:07 PM on November 18, 2019 [11 favorites]

Is it supposed to be like "there is a double meaning (we are addressing the issue AND like folks we are all on meth)" or like "people think we messed up haha"?

Yes.
posted by Literaryhero at 10:15 PM on November 18, 2019 [9 favorites]

And assuming this ad campaign is successful, they've already built in the perfect slogan for the resulting celebratory campaign: "Meth. We did it!"
posted by Greg_Ace at 10:25 PM on November 18, 2019 [34 favorites]

Where have I seen this logic before?
posted by Big Al 8000 at 10:27 PM on November 18, 2019 [3 favorites]

Notable rejected slogan:

Don't meth with South Dakota
posted by loquacious at 10:37 PM on November 18, 2019 [20 favorites]

Meth. We're On It.

Whoever came up up with this campaign certainly was. There's a difference between laughing at and laughing with.
posted by His thoughts were red thoughts at 11:46 PM on November 18, 2019

Previously in South Dakota ad campaigns:

Why Die on Mars When You Can Live in South Dakota?

Don't Jerk and Drive
posted by vibratory manner of working at 12:13 AM on November 19, 2019 [3 favorites]

South Dakota: Not even once.
posted by loquacious at 12:56 AM on November 19, 2019 [11 favorites]

Really the best thing that can happen from a drug advertising awareness campaign is to get people to face what's really going on and to talk about it.

But that's why the double meaning, if intended, just doesn't work. Either there's a crisis people need to be doing something about or they're on it and we don't need to worry.

There are lots of things you can say that will get a lot of attention, the trick is saying something not entirely incoherent while you're doing it.
posted by howfar at 2:24 AM on November 19, 2019 [2 favorites]

Meth: the trick is saying something not entirely incoherent while you're doing it.
posted by some loser at 3:59 AM on November 19, 2019 [21 favorites]

Summing up a conversation I overheard yesterday:

Person 1: "This ad campaign is horrible."
Person 2: "Yeah, it's so bad you're the fifth person to mention it to me this afternoon."
posted by NotMyselfRightNow at 4:01 AM on November 19, 2019 [55 favorites]

Count me among the people whose first reaction was to mock and second was to admire.

> But that's why the double meaning, if intended, just doesn't work.

I'm sure it's going to not go over well with many people in South Dakota (I'm over a thousand miles away and I don't use street drugs so my opinion doesn't really matter to them), but if one of the goals of combatting drug addiction is to encourage users to get help without fear of being prosecuted for the thing they want to stop doing, this gets a hell of a lot closer to the goal than anodyne slogans like "Just Say No" and "D.A.R.E."
posted by ardgedee at 4:33 AM on November 19, 2019 [5 favorites]

I mean, I guess being entirely meaningless is better than actively counterproductive, but...
posted by howfar at 5:03 AM on November 19, 2019 [1 favorite]

From the Twitter feed...
Can’t wait for South Dakota to launch the suicide prevention campaign titled “hang in there.”
Pure gold.
posted by Thorzdad at 5:13 AM on November 19, 2019 [16 favorites]

I glanced at this last post night before bed.

Reader, I did not get it.

I figured this was a pretty weak and/or oddly particular post for someone to make for this site but ok, whatever.

I'd like to apologize. This is good.
posted by RolandOfEld at 6:12 AM on November 19, 2019 [1 favorite]

Three quick things:

1. There is a strong baked in racial and classist prejudice regarding what type of person has substance use disorder. While I get that in the 15 second YT ads for the campaign, the old white farmer and the young white child and the 20s white woman are likely intended to be interpreted as saying I'm On Meth as a meth-use-affects-everyone message, it is still immensely helpful to center what appear to be white middle class people instead of always using poor and / or black people as the canonical examples of people with substance use disorder.

2. I like that they are offering many ways to seek treatment and are using many of the resources curated and provided by SAMHSA. I don't love that they are linking to Al-Anon.

3. I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate that they have advertised their hotline to people to "...report if you suspect someone you encounter is using." This is a fucking awful idea and I hate it. They even encourage working with law enforcement to report suspicion of use. Fuck. Off. That will result in so much bullshit and, depending on the cop that shows up, people getting shot.
posted by lazaruslong at 6:34 AM on November 19, 2019 [25 favorites]

Sorry one more:

4. In addition to treatment centers, they should be investing in harm reduction strategies.
posted by lazaruslong at 6:36 AM on November 19, 2019 [9 favorites]

Meth. We're On It.

Campaign just needs more allcaps and exclamation points: METH!!! WE'RE ON IT!!!
posted by They sucked his brains out! at 6:39 AM on November 19, 2019 [1 favorite]

black people as the canonical examples of people with substance use disorder.

Not disagreeing with you one bit but SD is about 1% black so that example would be even more weird than in other locales.

posted by RolandOfEld at 7:04 AM on November 19, 2019 [6 favorites]

totally - one more reason why i was holding my breath clicking on those vids.
posted by lazaruslong at 7:07 AM on November 19, 2019 [1 favorite]

Next up, South Dakota tackles their growing STD problem with the new slogan: “Now we’re just fucking around.”
posted by dephlogisticated at 7:12 AM on November 19, 2019 [9 favorites]

I don't love that they are linking to Al-Anon.

That's a 12-step support group for families or loved ones of alcoholics (why they should do the full 12-step routine, ask them, not me). Did you mean Narcotics Anonymous? There's also a Crystal Meth Anonymous, but meetings are probably scarce compared to NA.
posted by thelonius at 7:27 AM on November 19, 2019 [1 favorite]

The medium is the methage.
posted by fiercecupcake at 8:24 AM on November 19, 2019 [10 favorites]

...it is still immensely helpful to center what appear to be white middle class people instead of always using poor and / or black people as the canonical examples of people with substance use disorder.

At least out here in Michitucky, the general public image/stereotype of both meth and opiate/opioid addicts is that of a working/lower-class white person. Which probably explains why meth and opioids garner so much attention.

Note, though, that there's still a hard socio-economic signifier at work there.
posted by Thorzdad at 8:33 AM on November 19, 2019 [3 favorites]

All this negativity is really methanthropic.
posted by kirkaracha at 8:51 AM on November 19, 2019 [3 favorites]

Meth We Can!
posted by MexicanYenta at 9:19 AM on November 19, 2019 [4 favorites]

There used to be a punk magazine called "Crank" in Northern CO, which had a similarly irreverant slogan - "Crank: You know, for kids!"

Sadly my mom threw away my t-shirt.
posted by aspersioncast at 9:48 AM on November 19, 2019 [1 favorite]

Sounds like a methed opportunity.
posted by Greg_Ace at 10:13 AM on November 19, 2019 [1 favorite]

I wonder if it makes sense to put this in the same basket as Utah's housing-first initiative (RIP). Both in that one-party rule forces even the most reactionary parties to take responsibility for the concrete problems in their communities and thus sometimes creates space for taking relatively bold action that would be politically untenable in a two-party state, and in that backing up these bold initiatives with meaningful long-term programs is still difficult, given these reactionary parties' underlying ideological commitments.
posted by Not A Thing at 10:55 AM on November 19, 2019 [1 favorite]

STDs: We got 'em
posted by gottabefunky at 11:15 AM on November 19, 2019 [1 favorite]

ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE: We need a slogan for a meth campaign. Something catchy, anti-meth.

CREATIVE DIRECTOR: Er, sorry, is the message pro-meth, or anti-meth?

ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE: Whatever. Make it ambiguous so it can be both.

CREATIVE DIRECTOR: Okay, I'm on it.

ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE: Perfect. Slap that on a t-shirt and a stock photo and I'll set the meeting.
posted by mattdidthat at 12:40 PM on November 19, 2019 [5 favorites]

That's a 12-step support group for families or loved ones of alcoholics (why they should do the full 12-step routine, ask them, not me). Did you mean Narcotics Anonymous? There's also a Crystal Meth Anonymous, but meetings are probably scarce compared to NA.

No, I meant Al-Anon. They are linking to them here. I have my own pretty serious beef with Al-Anon which would be a derail here, I imagine. At least they aren't linking to the scientology narconon one.
posted by lazaruslong at 1:11 PM on November 19, 2019 [3 favorites]

My first instinct was to mock also. Geez, this effing internet, no patience or space for reflection. The Twit or the dead.
posted by Chitownfats at 3:23 PM on November 19, 2019

So many people have brought this up to me today. Now everyone know that South Dakota is on meth. I think if the idea was to get people excited/embarrassed/moved then it worked.
posted by chaz at 3:26 PM on November 19, 2019

i think you are right about that? but like, should that be the point?

if it were me, i'd think the point would be to help more south dakotans who are on meth. i'm not sure raising internet awareness is productive there.

also, not for nothing, but many of the comments in this thread are super fucking gross to me. substance use disorder isn't a joke, and the fact that this campaign is making a jokey play on words is apparently carte blanche for people to take the chance to make puns and cracks in the subject space of meth. that's like...whatever. have fun with it i guess. but just know that when you make jokes like

Meth: the trick is saying something not entirely incoherent while you’re doing it.
The medium is the methage.
Sounds like a methed opportunity.
Don't meth with South Dakota

etc etc etc it just looks gross to me. not funny or clever enough to rise above cheap laughs into comedy, just playing in a space that is deadly serious to get a pun in.

part of my job every day is to work in the substance use disorder space. granted here in philly it is opioids not meth, but still. idk. i guess if it Trends On Twitter and is Ripe For Memes then it is an unalloyed good because it Promotes Engagement, or whatever the fuck.
posted by lazaruslong at 4:41 PM on November 19, 2019 [8 favorites]

So - in like 6th grade, we had an anti-drug slogan contest.
I'm not sure if how I phrased it was already indicating how i felt about drugs subconsciously, if I was trying to be subversive, or just later read more into it than I meant, but...

I think my award winning slogan gives a little wink and nod for those who can hold their beer:

"Who's in charge, here? Drugs? Or you."
posted by symbioid at 4:43 PM on November 19, 2019 [2 favorites]

No, I meant Al-Anon. They are linking to them here.

Sorry! My bad. People mix them up so often that I just assumed you were doing so, because I didn't understand why they'd be linking there, and I was too lazy to check.
posted by thelonius at 6:22 PM on November 19, 2019 [1 favorite]

My life-long best friend hung her self at 42, her beautiful, sweet, and kind 19 year old son did the same 2 years before. Fuck meth and the herd of horses it rode in on. I'll take a confusing tagline and an honest attempt to help any day over more hand-wringing.
posted by nenequesadilla at 10:05 PM on November 19, 2019 [7 favorites]

My boss at work just walked in and told me that the opioid use toolkit I designed for one of our grants was seen by the surgeon general and is being vetted at HRSA for widespread distribution. Not super relevant but I'm gobsmacked and kinda proud.
posted by lazaruslong at 7:26 AM on November 20, 2019 [9 favorites]

« Older Come back tomorrow for a new word.   |   You're The Voice Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments