A small story about a marriage
January 16, 2020 12:47 PM   Subscribe

My mum has six brothers. They all live in Pakistan- as does the rest of her family. I went there recently after ten years and saw them all. For the first time in my life, I believe I’ve seen true and undeniable love.
posted by Sokka shot first (10 comments total) 47 users marked this as a favorite

Love this, and something to aspire to.
posted by bfranklin at 12:54 PM on January 16 [1 favorite]

Thank you, that was lovely.
posted by It's Raining Florence Henderson at 1:04 PM on January 16

"One night, she made me some chai over a small fire and we chatted until the early morning. She told me about her parents and how much her father values her mother. She was glowing with admiration and pride, and I couldn’t help but feel the same. Every morning before taking the children to school, he tells her mother she is as beautiful as a sparrow and every day she blushes and ushers him away- ‘jao!’ She says as she giggles. Their life is not easy though and Safiya explained to me that her mother can become silent and slow for days, unable to muster much joy. People talk about her in the village she says, but her father focuses only on his wife. In those times, he will ask his eldest children to look after the younger ones while he spends time alone with her. The two of them leave on his motorcycle, her arms wrapped tightly around him and her head resting gently on his shoulder. And then they come back and she slowly recovers."

This paragraph is so sweet and full of so many details about what I want and treasure in love. The daily little things, and the rhythm of going through the hard times and finding joy again together.
posted by stoneweaver at 1:21 PM on January 16 [18 favorites]

"I once read that the best thing a man can do for his children is to love their mother. "

Thanks Dad :)
posted by aesop at 1:38 PM on January 16 [9 favorites]

I once read that the best thing a man can do for his children is to love their mother.

Does anyone know the provenance of this lovely quote?
posted by freebird at 2:33 PM on January 16

A quick Google suggests it was a quote from Abraham Lincoln. I can't verify it, though.
posted by It's Raining Florence Henderson at 3:40 PM on January 16 [1 favorite]

That was lovely.
posted by smoke at 4:56 PM on January 16

This nearly made me cry.
posted by lollusc at 5:13 PM on January 16 [2 favorites]

Yeah, I had a huge lump in my throat by the end.
posted by It's Raining Florence Henderson at 6:58 PM on January 16 [1 favorite]

I loved this. Thanks.
posted by medusa at 3:18 AM on January 17

« Older Christopher Tolkien Has Entered the Halls of...   |   a template for how to feel confident whenever I... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments