A Northland island has a very unusual (but good) problem...too many kiwi
May 12, 2024 3:55 PM   Subscribe

A Northland island (in Aotearoa/New Zealand) has a very unusual (but good) problem...too many kiwi. Residents on Moturoa, in Ipipiri, have been forced to relocate the reclusive birds after their population swelled into the hundreds. (This was the result of a local program to control feral predators like cats and foxes - in most parts of New Zealand, kiwi are under threat.)
posted by chariot pulled by cassowaries (13 comments total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

The kiwis are beginning their inexorable march to take back the Earth!
posted by GenjiandProust at 4:11 PM on May 12 [1 favorite]

More seriously, this article has photos illustrating several “kiwi holding techniques” as well as photos of kiwi transit boxes!
posted by GenjiandProust at 4:37 PM on May 12 [4 favorites]

I live in Wellington, and it's so lovely to have the native birds back. growing up in the 70s I'm not sure I ever saw a tui but now they are all over the place (these delightfully raucous buggers) and there are loads of kaka (sassy forest parrots) and fantail/piwakawaka (cute little tweeters that will come an flutter round you if you whistle at them) these days, as a byproduct of a decades long conservation effort.
posted by Sebmojo at 4:43 PM on May 12 [9 favorites]

Point of information: there are no foxes in Aotearoa. There were attempts to introduce but luckily, they have never been established here. Unfortunately the stoats, rats, cats, pigs, possums and dogs are more than making up for that.
posted by i_am_joe's_spleen at 5:22 PM on May 12 [5 favorites]

The most New Zealand Thing is that the approved kiwi-holding technique looks to be exactly the same technique as catching a football, preparatory to running through the defence and scoring a try
posted by Fiasco da Gama at 6:05 PM on May 12 [2 favorites]

What! Kiwi are huge! I, a filthy American, assumed they were baseball sized or softball at most.
posted by Hypatia at 7:12 PM on May 12 [3 favorites]

It's so delightful to know that kiwi are 'nice and warm' when you hold them. Man, they look cute.
posted by DSime at 8:24 PM on May 12 [1 favorite]

Didn't realize they were so big before you shave them down for sale.
posted by groda at 12:25 AM on May 13 [2 favorites]

Point of information: there are no foxes in Aotearoa. There were attempts to introduce but luckily, they have never been established here. Unfortunately the stoats, rats, cats, pigs, possums and dogs are more than making up for that.

Thanks, i_am_joe's_spleen! ^_^

You made me wonder if Australia had stoats (I'd never heard of Australia having stoats, but I wanted to know for certain)

and I googled and found "Stoats are not present in Australia. They are reported to have been introduced at an unknown
early date, but failed to become established (Long 2003)."

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/73807/IPA-Stoat-Risk-Assessment.pdf

posted by chariot pulled by cassowaries at 1:03 AM on May 13 [2 favorites]

"Northland" must be an aspirational name.
posted by I-Write-Essays at 6:41 AM on May 13

"Northland" must be an aspirational name.

It's considerably more North than the South Island of New Zealand. ^_^
posted by chariot pulled by cassowaries at 7:13 AM on May 13 [2 favorites]

Sebmojo, I had no idea that tui and piwakawaka were conservation success stories. I 100% took them for granted when I was in the Lower Hutt and Ngaio a couple of years back. I thought it had always been that way. That's marvelous.

Excited to see "Predator Free NZ" slowly but surely moving towards becoming a reality.
posted by rednikki at 8:33 AM on May 13 [1 favorite]

This was a delightful read, thank you chariot! I’m a bit jealous of everyone who got to hold a kiwi, they look so cozy.
posted by bettafish at 12:33 PM on May 13

« Older Finally, your checkers can nuke again!   |   La Maison du Pastel Newer »

You are not currently logged in. Log in or create a new account to post comments.