We arrive at a much different mullet landscape in 2024
June 9, 2024 1:25 AM   Subscribe

Oh, I thought this would be about unions, and was confused. So what's the mullet percentage in the AFL/CIO?
posted by rum-soaked space hobo at 1:35 AM on June 9 [1 favorite]

Increasingly popular in rugby in Ireland too. I feel like dads in the 80s must have felt when suddenly there were young fellas wandering about with 1950s haircuts.
posted by GallonOfAlan at 2:37 AM on June 9 [3 favorites]

This is just something I see among my students in the UK. It seems pretty popular at the moment.
posted by biffa at 2:49 AM on June 9 [1 favorite]

Came for the cute hair, stayed for the amazing data collection and analysis job in the article. What a thorough and fun treatment of the subject! Highly recommend at least scanning the linked article.
posted by evilmomlady at 3:46 AM on June 9 [8 favorites]

I can confirm that the mullet (with or without moustache) is very much the fashion here in the UK among young men (and the not dissimilar 'wolf cut' among young women), much to the bemusement of their elders.
posted by pipeski at 3:52 AM on June 9 [4 favorites]

After the years of plenty with a glut of daily pandemic statistics, federal election polling and tax cut impacts to analyse, so the data landscape becomes barren, with little data for data journalists to eat. The journalists must migrate, hibernate, or face months of near-starvation, delving for scraps of data amidst the hair of footballers.
posted by are-coral-made at 3:56 AM on June 9 [10 favorites]

This is one of the most thorough newspaper investigations I've ever seen!
posted by trig at 5:20 AM on June 9 [2 favorites]

Loved the graphics and format of the article. Fun read, thanks!
posted by hilaryjade at 5:27 AM on June 9 [2 favorites]

Today I learned the term guppy mullet, and that makes me happy.

My brother-in-law's teen nephews both have mullets, and I have noticed they've been popular amongst young MLB players for a couple seasons(Major League Baseball, US professional baseball league). Brewers had a free mullet haircut promotion last summer.

This was a fun read, with entertaining data presentation, thanks for sharing!
posted by the primroses were over at 7:05 AM on June 9 [2 favorites]

As a kid growing up playing hockey it was always just "hockey hair" (and by god did I rock it). Glad to see it's taking over other sports now. The beast must be fed.
posted by downtohisturtles at 7:51 AM on June 9 [4 favorites]

I've long considered the early 80s hairdos sported by members of The News (as in "Huey Lewis and the...") as proto-mullets. As a kid I noticed all the guys on my older brother's high school soccer team sporting Huey Lewis and the News haircuts. Later on in the mid-90s I made the connection between that hair cut and "Hockey Hair" - and that was shortly after the Beastie Boys apparently coined the appellation "Mullet". My instincts have since been vindicated since the Beasties apparently also have referred to the Mullet as "Hockey Player Haircut" and "Soccer Rocker".
posted by Ranucci at 8:54 AM on June 9 [1 favorite]

Sweet flow down-under bros.
posted by srboisvert at 8:58 AM on June 9 [1 favorite]

We did a long distance watch with one of our best friends last night of Stone Cold with Brian "Boz" Bosworth, and he sported quite the mullet. (Also, Lance Henriksen was in everything in late 80s/early 90s, wasn't he?)
posted by Kitteh at 9:15 AM on June 9 [1 favorite]

After the years of plenty with a glut of daily pandemic statistics, federal election polling and tax cut impacts to analyse, so the data landscape becomes barren, with little data for data journalists to eat. The journalists must migrate, hibernate, or face months of near-starvation, delving for scraps of data amidst the hair of footballers.

I didn't think there existed a Venn diagram that correlated David Attenborough's nature shows with Australian football...but here we are.

Also, "scraps of data amidst the hair of footballers" conjures up an interesting mental image.
posted by Greg_Ace at 9:21 AM on June 9 [1 favorite]

A fun scroll! Well-designed. I’m seeing more and more of these slickly-produced swipe-driven streams of text plus datavis and photos - does anybody know if they’re getting easier to make? I’ve often daydreamed about what it would take to make one.
posted by rrrrrrrrrt at 10:37 AM on June 9 [1 favorite]

It's Australia. Did the mullet ever go away in the first place?
posted by Jessica Savitch's Coke Spoon at 2:52 PM on June 9 [2 favorites]

Sarah Sherman on SNL has a mullet "wolfcut" which is when I first realized It Was a Thing Now. In general it seems less stiff and poufy than the 80s (permed!) version I sported in my senior pic. But hey, sure, you kids go crazy with your hair, it is the privilege of youth, etc.
posted by emjaybee at 7:26 PM on June 9 [1 favorite]

Thanks to this article, I now know that the hairstyle the Miami Style cartoon dude in my compulsory workplace training on Preventing Harassment and Discrimination is sporting a guppy mullet.
posted by Zumbador at 1:24 AM on June 10 [2 favorites]

« Older Unlike Google, XScreensaver will never run around...   |   Physical Dice vs. Digital Dice Newer »

You are not currently logged in. Log in or create a new account to post comments.