Silence is golden
April 4, 2006 5:21 AM   Subscribe

FlashMute is an essential Windows utility to mute Flash and other sounds from the browser.
posted by Sharcho (15 comments total)

I've already thought of a useful feature that I don't think is in this: A list of allowed/blocked websites. If I go to, say, Homestar Runner, I'd like this software to know that I want the sound because I'm there to watch the cartoons, but if I go to the IMDb, it should know to block the sound because there's nothing noisy there but ads.
posted by Faint of Butt at 5:29 AM on April 4, 2006

You'd probably want to enable the "Mute whole browser" setting.
posted by Sharcho at 5:36 AM on April 4, 2006

FoB: Or, alternatively, you could use Firefox with the FlashBlock (and/or AdBlock), and never get unwanted flash crap again!
posted by slater at 5:38 AM on April 4, 2006

I prefer to use Flashblock but this is a cool option for non-Firefox users.
posted by melt away at 5:58 AM on April 4, 2006

I need either this or FOB's method specifically to stop that goddamn dancing Duke from the Doonesbury homepage. Four years and no one's taken the hint that it's the most goddamn annoying thing ever.
posted by XQUZYPHYR at 6:08 AM on April 4, 2006

Wow, auto SFW tag. Thanks Sharco.

[surfs noisy websites with impunity]
posted by NinjaPirate at 6:31 AM on April 4, 2006

I like the idea of SwitchPUT too, bookmarking that one for later. Thanks!
posted by aeschenkarnos at 7:17 AM on April 4, 2006

aeschenkarnos - if you don't want to wait for a release, you might like Synergy.
posted by sysinfo at 8:34 AM on April 4, 2006

Just the thing I was looking for the other day when an embedded Flash video about made me pee my pants with its volume.
posted by mr_crash_davis at 9:02 AM on April 4, 2006

The title of this thread put that AMC-theatres jingle in my head. And there is no mute software for that. So thanks.
posted by kika at 10:05 AM on April 4, 2006

Thanks for this. I hate ad-blockers with a passion - even on dial-up, a banner or two is no imposition to me, and I know that the bandwidth I eat up isn't cheap.

That said, if I had to hear "SAY SOMETHING!" one more time, I was going to beat my speakers to death with my soundcard.
posted by Simon! at 10:52 AM on April 4, 2006

Is there a block-all-sounds-EXCEPT-this-page plugin? I like to listen to long BBC-radio programs on the web, but while listening, I open other tabs and browse. I hate it when sounds from other tabs start playing.
posted by grumblebee at 12:04 PM on April 4, 2006

FlashBlock is one of the first extensions I install in a new Firefox installation because of things like Flash sounds and pop-ups.

Never tried AdBlock but if more sites manage to skirt around FF's pop-up blocking I'll probably add it to the list.
posted by Chirael at 12:16 PM on April 4, 2006

A volume slider for Flash (not just mute) -- sweet. I was just looking for something like this.
posted by dhartung at 1:31 PM on April 4, 2006

Personally, I'd recommend NoScript, over Flashblock - it does the same job and a whole lot more.
posted by Blue Stone at 12:51 PM on April 9, 2006

« Older Richard D James makes me freak out a little bit   |   My Dad's got Asteroids. Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments