So good I almost checked for it on IMDB
April 12, 2006 6:21 PM   Subscribe

Titanic Two the Surface Trailer for the wonderful sequel to Bruckheimer's magnum opus Titanic. {via Videosift}
posted by MiltonRandKalman (32 comments total)

Bruckheimer?
posted by jonson at 6:27 PM on April 12, 2006

that was....strange.
posted by puke & cry at 6:30 PM on April 12, 2006 [1 favorite]

Bruckheimer? I can't tell if you're joking or not.
posted by Ryvar at 6:31 PM on April 12, 2006

OK, I was gonna ask who would waste the resources to do all that CG, but then I realized I just don't recognize many of the clips.

Cute.
posted by rkent at 6:36 PM on April 12, 2006

This is what my world has come to:
I wasn't sure if I was seeing a real trailer for a really bad movie, or a great parody effort by someone who should be spending their time on almost anything else.

yikes.
posted by cccorlew at 6:41 PM on April 12, 2006

It's most impressive feature is it's believability. Stunning.
posted by fungible at 6:49 PM on April 12, 2006

That sucked.
posted by furtive at 6:50 PM on April 12, 2006

Yeah, it was sort of amusing at the start, but then they just started showing random clips of Leonardo DiCaprio. *shrug*
posted by vernondalhart at 7:00 PM on April 12, 2006

I'll give it points for using a few clips from In The Mouth of Madness.
posted by brundlefly at 7:08 PM on April 12, 2006

We could play the game 'which movies are these clips from?' Leo D prison cell escape is from Man in the Iron Mask.
posted by tula at 7:08 PM on April 12, 2006

I recognized Jamie Lee Curtis's voice and a scene snippet from "Forever Young"
posted by CynicalKnight at 7:16 PM on April 12, 2006

That sucked.

See, it really was realistic!
posted by rkent at 7:22 PM on April 12, 2006

Impressive in seeming real. Impressive in debasing the real film, whose media mushroom cloud made me ill.
posted by ParisParamus at 7:26 PM on April 12, 2006

It was actually pretty good, except for the "and everything you know... was gone" should have been "is gone."

And it seemed like the poster that said FOZEN MAN meant to say FROZEN MAN.

Anyway, very decent use of CGI to put Leo's face in the scenes. It's believable just because of how awful an idea it is.
posted by odinsdream at 7:30 PM on April 12, 2006

Lessee... The Abyss, In The Mouth of Madness, some voiceover from James Woods in Contact (I think), Demolition Man, Hulk, Catch Me If You Can...

That's all I got.
posted by brundlefly at 7:30 PM on April 12, 2006

The Basketball Diaries, Romeo & Juliet, What's Eating Gilbert Grape ... it's a big list.
posted by frogan at 8:20 PM on April 12, 2006

Austin Powers!

("Warm liquid goo phase commencing")
posted by dirtynumbangelboy at 8:21 PM on April 12, 2006

Oh, surely you recognized the bit from Con Air ("You'd better start contemplating!")
posted by SPrintF at 8:24 PM on April 12, 2006

That's where that's from! Thought it was Broken Arrow at first, but that engineer guy from Star Trek wasn't in that...
posted by brundlefly at 8:33 PM on April 12, 2006

The part of Leo firing the gun is from Romeo and Juliet.
posted by sourbrew at 8:38 PM on April 12, 2006

doh.. beaten by frogan
posted by sourbrew at 8:38 PM on April 12, 2006

The crawling through the pipe they lifted from Shawshank Redemption. Amusing concept, way too long.
posted by Ndwright at 8:57 PM on April 12, 2006

My favorite is the line from Contact. BTW, the Blue was a bit slow on this one...(fights urge to self link...c'mon ViSi is like a MeFi self-link anyway, right?)

And I love the mashup. Certianly one of the most expansive ones created. i don't even know all the Leo movies that are used. Like when he's watching the musical. Which one is that?
posted by wah at 10:52 PM on April 12, 2006

Like when he's watching the musical. Which one is that?

Haven't rewatched it, but isn't that a composite? Leo's face over someone else? The "lifeboat" is added as well.
posted by brundlefly at 11:29 PM on April 12, 2006

Promising (and weirdly plausible at first) but the problem is that parody trailers are becomming just like the things they parody - i.e. a lot of effort and resources for something that was only a so-so idea in the first place.
posted by rhymer at 12:31 AM on April 13, 2006

Promising (and weirdly plausible at first) but the problem is that parody trailers are becomming just like the things they parody - i.e. a lot of effort and resources for something that was only a so-so idea in the first place.

Seconded.
posted by youarenothere at 5:06 AM on April 13, 2006

Actually it's nothing like a real trailer, and I speak as someone who used to make real trailers. It's too long, it holds shots for far too long, and it wastes v/o and captions. It's like those TV sketch shows who do parody commercials but take 90 seconds to do what the original did in 20.
posted by Hogshead at 5:32 AM on April 13, 2006

The "you gotta be kidding me" scene in the tunnel is from The Fugitive.

I like the title: Titanic: Two the Surface. Also the title card that said, "And you must live life all over again...in an unfamiliar town...and in the future."
posted by kirkaracha at 7:44 AM on April 13, 2006

I agree with Hogshead, nothing like an actual trailer. Could've been more convincing with jump cuts and much less concentration on any one scene.

Other than that it was like watching a car wreck. You don't want to see it, but you can't look away. I wouldn't bat an eyelash if something like this existed on the desk of someone in Hollywood.
posted by C.Batt at 8:35 AM on April 13, 2006

Timely. Not at all timely.
posted by OpinioNate at 11:25 AM on April 13, 2006

Jennifer Connelly and Sam Elliot from Hulk
posted by jlub at 11:27 AM on April 13, 2006

Mmm, Jennifer Co—that is, er, yeah. A lot of effort for a pretty meh result.
posted by cortex at 5:22 PM on April 13, 2006

« Older Fake TV News: Widespread and Undisclosed   |   Romosexuals Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments