MeFi Mall aka ShopMe
Here's a list of MeFites who have stuff they make and sell online. If you're shopping anyway, check out the stuff your fellow MeFites have available.
Photography, Prints and Calendars
- Glinn: has silly and colorful imaginary beasts at The Slumbering Herd. Original art, prints and postcards. 15% MeFi discount - use coupon code mefi15.
- jjjjjjjijjjjjjj: has large historical map prints for sale. Note: all maps also have high-resolution file download (free for free), so if you'd rather, you can DIY some gifts however you'd like 'em.
- woodblock100: has a special 'Gift Print' page up at this time every year, with a new one in his series of small-scale handmade woodblock prints.
- runningwithscissors: has an Etsy shop with nature and landscape photography that features saturated colors and strong contrasts. MeFites get 20% off with code MEFI2012.
- dnash: I just started selling holiday-themed cards featuring my photography via Zazzle. www.zazzle.com/dpnash In 2005 I started making cards by placing photo prints into special blank cards that act like "mats," so I could hand-sign and number each year's "limited edition." After lots of nice reactions I thought I'd try offering some for sale, including pictures taken in Amsterdam, Paris, and Chicago.
- coevals: Little Wolf Press is an Etsy shop, with digital prints, greeting cards, and original paintings. There are a couple of cute star wars lego prints and cards there and more. Thank you for checking it out.
- the_blizz: Posters! Of animals! Playing sports! Silkscreened children's posters of animals. Check out the Kickstarter that made it happen, complete with silly animated video!
- artdrectr: Custom, canvas prints are now available of most my paintings. These are quiet, distilled landscapes, pure and powerful. No store set up, so provide the size you're thinking of and we'll get back to you with price & ETA. ($250-850)
- seanmpuckett: Abstract and landscape photography, by me, in my 500px store. You can buy ready-to-hang canvas prints of about 6 square feet for ~$200USD, or get a download for personal use e.g. as on-screen wallpaper for about $3. I'm adding new images to the store gradually over the next couple weeks as I flesh it out.
- milquetoast: Milquetoast and Arianna von Trauma run Paper Jam Press, featuring a line of handmade letterpress posters. As seen on Diddy's Instagram! Use code mefihiphop for $5 off your order.
- Oli D.: makes prints and posters of her original drawings, paintings and photos in the studio. The Zazzle store for making prints was created at the end of Dec., and all will be ready at the beginning of Jan. If you wish, you can get a gift certificate right now!
- chococat: in addition to recording and selling CDs and Digital Downloads of his music under the name bgm, is producing his famous Sad Executive Boy T-Shirts again this year. Purchase of a T-shirt includes download of the 2011 album They Don't Run Your Life, in the high-quality digital audio file of your choice! MeFites can enter the coupon code 'chococatsentme' for a 10% discount.
- mintcake!: Nova Social’s most recent LP ‘For Any Inconvenience’ is available on limited edition multicolored vinyl at our web store. Mention MeFi in your checkout notes (or send MeMail) and we’ll add a FREE copy of our self-titled 12" vinyl EP. Huzzah!
- merocet: Metafilter types can get a 10% discount on the excellent Modchik album Canton by entering the code 'metainevereven'. Probably best for those who want a bit of darkness over the holiday period.
- Meatbomb: writes "All of your doubts and fears about the afterlife and your place in it answered authoritatively, with conviction, by a charismatic leader / father figure you can trust." main, purchase Mefites get a special discount suggested tithe rate of 7.5% of pre-tax earnings.
Etsy, Crafts and Jewelry
- dayintoday: Crafty goodies by dayintoday. I've got a few original fabric designs at Spoonflower featuring kitties and mod geometrics. Choose any yardage or material that suits your holiday project, or order some Kona cotton fat quarters for your favorite quilter.
- mikepop: has stickers for all your bikey needs. Many stickers per sheet - great for sharing.
- blacktshirtandjeans: has an Etsy shop, with hand silk screened canvas tote bags, prints and felt holiday ornaments. Free shipping with coupon code: 2012XMASMEFI
- terrapin: At Terrapin Gardens we sell yarn, roving, knitting kits, and sheepskins. Our rare-breed Navjo-Churro sheep are known for strong wool suitable for rugs, blankets, outerwear, and felting. We also sell luxury yarns made from llama fiber. All of our fibers are 100% grown and processed in Vermont.
- usonian: makes and sells self-tie bow ties including a wildly popular Doctor Who model. 10% discount for MeFites - use coupon code BEANPLATE. Order by Friday, December 7 for delivery before Christmas.
- MsMolly: Love Your Library Library-themed shirts, notecards, etc. For a well-rounded education, try curling up with good books... and bad librarians. Girlish Things Sundry miscellaeny, ephemera, and oddiments. Vintage housewares and clothing, plus handmade nerdery, including Dalek and TARDIS needlefelt pins.
- bedhead: My Etsy shop is Below the Deep. We make jewelry and accessories inspired by the things we love - beautiful semiprecious stones, distressed metals, and great fabrics that we find in our travels. MeFites get 10% off with discount code MEFIHOLIDAY.
- keli: Sheep Dreamery was established in 2012 by an insomniac with a love for yarn. Each colorway created has been inspired from dreams that rarely occur. It is the goal of Sheep Dreamery to provide the highest quality yarns combined with phantasmic colorways that inspire creativity for every crafter, from lovely shawls to mischievous monsters that go bump in the night! 10% MeFi discount: THEBLUE2012
- rivenwanderer: makes both Myst-themed and original jewelry in her basement studio, incorporating things like gears, beetle wings, and heavily textured copper.. Use the coupon code "mefi10" when checking out for a 10% discount.
- anastasiav: Nothing says the holidays like candles! An assortment of hand-decorated, fully-burnable pillar candles, mainly sourced from vintage postcard images. I can also turn your photograph, or other treasured image into a special keepsake. (You must provide the image.) I will make you a Metafilter-themed candle on request (photos sent for approval prior to purchase).
- monkey!knife!fight!: I'm serving up custom pet portrait realness as well as other illustrations to make your house (or cube) a prettier place.
- chrisamiller: Mefites will love the awesome clocks that we make out of board games. The Settlers of Catan clock is my personal favorite. The rest of the shop is stuff for the little people in your life: spiffy onesies with ties, baby leg warmers, and themed gift sets that are great for baby showers. Mefite discount - 10% off with code MEFI2012
- alynnk: has an Etsy shop with handmade cards and other pretty paper things. 15% off with coupon code MEFISHOP.
- boilermonster: The Neverwas Haul For the Steampunk in your life. I have been making these goggles for about 6 yrs using old clock and accordion parts. Highly detailed, and well constructed. lenses are changeable. Mention metafilter and I will send you an additional color of lenses. The lens colors that I have are listed on my etsy page. Tell me which of the available lens colors you would like when you order your goggles.
- Gordafarin: Gordafarin designs knitting patterns - inspired by art, architecture, literature, linguistics, and more. Get them to knit yourself, or gift them to your favorite knitter. Get a 15% discount with the code HAMBURGER.
- hilatron: My store is Crafty Robot - featuring accessories and housewares that reflect my love of vintage materials, mixed genres, and MONSTERS (in the form of Christmas stockings with claws)!
- Lou Stuells: makes and sells whimsical children's book-style art and prints. Very colorful and jolly! Free shipping worldwide for mefites - just message me a username.
- carrienation: My Etsy store Recyclops features pendants made with recycled eyeglass lenses. Use the code PLATEOFBEANS for a 10% discount.
- Alison: I sell robot-themed dishware and botanically inspired hair accessories in my Etsy shop. I also sell fabric/wallpaper that I've designed through spoonflower, including several puzzle patterns.
- EmilyClimbs: I sell my fused glass jewelry-- especially necklaces/pendants-- and other glass art at my Etsy store, Skipping Glass. Use coupon code METAFILTER for 15% off.
- LittleMissItneg: Hello fellow MeFites! My Etsy shop is LittleMissItneg and I sell ethnic handmade bags, using only the best indigenous materials found in the Philippines. And for this month of December until early January, I will be offering free worldwide shipping. Yey! Happy holidays!
- PlutoniumX: makes a lot of things. Lately it has been chainmaille jewelry, dicebags, and wallet chains. It's Armor for your Everyday Life! Use Code: MEFI12 for Free Shipping! Free bonus gift with any MEFI order. There is still time for custom work too. More pictures/items for reference are here: fatesknight.com
- kariebookish: I design knitting patterns. All my patterns are written for the advanced beginner/intermediate knitter, though more experienced knitters will appreciate how easy it is to customise my patterns. I am inspired by architecture, my Scandinavian heritage, and literature.
- sawdustbear: makes monster sculptures and art, including the first bound volume of the sculpted comic Marlowe the Monster, as posted about in MeFi projects. Awesome for odd, neurotic friends that like monsters! Currently running a 20% sale until December 8th!
- gilsonal: Homemade ornaments for cat lovers! Made from cinnamon, they smell amazing year-round. Bonus: 20% of your purchase will be donated to Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance, a non-profit organization that helps fund veterinary services for companion animals with life-threatening illness or injury.
- NoraReed: One-of-a-kind beaded necklaces. Mefites can use the coupon code "beanplate" for 15% off your order.
- Lay Off The Books: Fun and unique chalkboard items such as chalkboard blocks, magnets, signs and photo props in traditional black and green as well as red, blue, pink, etc. Custom orders accepted! Use coupon code metafilter for 10% off of your order.
Books, Magazines and Zines
- jessamyn: I've written a book called Without a Net: Librarians Bridging the Digital Divide which talks about technology instruction in libraries and why the problem of teaching technology to people seems so intractable. More interesting than you might think!
- changeling: has written two young adult novels: Like Mandarin, about wildwinds & wild girls in the Wyoming badlands; and Wanderlove, featuring Central America backpacking, romance & jungle beasties (bonus: illustrations!)
- bitter-girl.com: runs Cooperative Press, an indie publishing company specializing in creative topics, from knitting to crafty business. We're expanding into art- and food-related titles in 2012. What's special about CP is that we are ultra-digital friendly and we pay our authors royalties that are 4-5x the average paid by traditional publishers.
- sleevener: Two books of poetry: Rain (Wave Books, 2006, kinda lyrical, suitable for fans of Neutral Milk Hotel and flowering trees), and Uncanny Valley (Cleveland State, 2012, kinda more strident but still kinda lyrical, suitable for fans of Julian Jaynes and the aftermath of semantic satiation).
- jiawen: I've published a tabletop, pen-and-paper RPG called Blade & Crown. It balances indie narrativism and 1980s realism, and it's a lot of fun! The game is already available in PDF form, and a print edition will be available soon.
- TheGoodBlood: I run the micro press B&D Press, which specializes in zines and artists' books. We are mostly interested in queer subjects, but we also have an incredible illustrated memoir about a bike accident, Skinny Leg. Our flagship series is The Life and Times of Butch Dykes. Here's our Etsy store.
- jonathanbell: Things Magazine is mostly online now, but we began with print. We have plenty of back issues for sale, buy one get one free.
- Scram: Scram is a magazine dedicated to rooting out the cashews in the bridge mix of unpopular culture. Since 1992 we have chronicled the neglected, the odd, the nifty and the nuts. Scram's 22 issues are packed with fascinating characters like Emitt Rhodes, Linda Perhacs, Brute Force, Tiny Tim and The Banana Splits. Cover art by Peter Bagge, Dan Clowes, Ribs, Dave Cooper, etc. Special offer for US MeFites through January 1, 2013: email me the secret phrase "a plate of beans gathers no moss" for a Priority Mail envelope stuffed with back issues for $20 (cheap!). Overseas, $30.
- motty: motty's novel The Fool, a tale of an alcoholic on a spiritual journey (or a spiritual guy on an alcoholic journey) is now available as an eBook - for less than a pound sterling - on Lulu, iBooks, and the Nook.
- Narrative Priorities: has written a novella which follows a crew of six through a harrowing week on the first manned mission to Mars. It's titled "Off Nominal," and is available as part of The Ships We Sail, an anthology of stories about love in transit.
- ManInSuit: Sheila Heti had the idea to collaborate with me on a book of everything I know. That book, The Chairs Are Where The People Go, came out this summer. It is about improvisation, municipal politics, information on how to teach a charades class, running conferences, feeling like a fraud, love, quitting smoking, and other things. [Amazon USA // Canada // UK]
- joannemerriam: I own (mainly poetry) ebook publisher Upper Rubber Boot Books.
- yankeefog: I wrote a parody of fear-mongering, crazy-making pregnancy and parenting books. It's called How Not To Kill Your Baby. (UK Amazon link) You will want to buy it for every mom and/or dad on your list, unless they are baby-hating creeps who want to parent all wrong. Previously, I co-wrote how-to guides for new superheroes, new wizards, and new pirates.
- salem: I co-own Half Letter Press, a small publisher and retail internet shop filled with art and activist fare. We have small-run artist books, posters, prints, and assorted ephemera that are hard to find elsewhere. Check us out at http://www.halfletterpress.com
- webmutant: writes horror and urban fantasy about hidden truths, secret dealings, and our changing pasts. He's standing right behind you. He has three anthologies: "Slices", "Counting From Ten" and "Permanent Damage".
- anothermug: has two novels for sale on Amazon KDP: The Killing Type, and Will's Dead Wife
T-Shirts, Mugs, Cafe Press-type Items
- Wordshore: Libraries are cool, and learning stuff is cool, so Use Libraries and Learn Stuff. Items and ephemera includes greetings cards, iPad and iPhone cases, a poster (the most popular product, bought by libraries in several countries), postcards, mugs, aprons and more.
- robocop is bleeding: “Through all this horror my cat stalked unperturbed. Once I saw him monstrously perched atop a mountain of bones, and wondered at the secrets that might lie behind his yellow eyes.” - H.P. Lovecraft, The Rats in the Walls. We all know that Lovecraft Loves Cats. Did you also know that The King In Yellow loves the kind bud? Demonstrate your eldritch knowledge on a t-shirt!
- Devils Rancher: Wearable Serigraphy is a series of high-end halftone screen prints, based on my black and white photography.
- Jezztek: offers the Amorphia family of geek friendly t-shirt shops including: Sir Critter - Fancy animals in top hats, Hirsute History - Historical figures illustrated by their hairand Monsters of Grok - Band shirts for scientists and philosophers.
- PHINC: At Philosophy INC and Reach Around America I have T Shirts and stickers for sale!
- mathowie: Official MetaFilter t-shirts in three designs, printed on soft form-fitting shirts made in the USA from the coolest web comic shop online.
- Uther Bentrazor: MiNDJacket Designs! Lots of strange black shirts designed and silkscreened in-house by yours truly! Prepare for fun.
- Behemoth: runs StressDressed Apparel, an online shop dedicated to sarcastic t-shirts. The introductory "Beware!" collection, seen recently on Mefi Projects, features designs with a cautionary theme.
- firei: Defcon YUM! is a one-a-day gourmet internet bakery. Every day we offer one delicious item. After that 24 hour period it is gone and we're on to the next tasty treat. We bake it only when you order it and ship it out ASAP so that everything remains fresh and scrumptious.
- jscott: Jason Scott has made two for-sale documentaries: BBS: The Documentary, about dial-up bulletin board systems, and GET LAMP, a film about the text adventure games and interactive fiction world.
- kira: is the developer of Holiday Bells, a fun little holiday app for iOS (there's also a droid tablet version). 16 tap-along Christmas songs for the handbells. Fun for all ages!
- banished: Comfort Stick - Lip, Face, and Body skin moisturizer and protectant. It is the just-right combination of cocoa butter and other emollients that simply soothe and heal skin anywhere. The Formula is free of added fragrances so that it will not further irritate an irritated skin. The only odor is the slight smell of the cocoa butter which is raw and organic. It is available in three different sized twist-up applicators that are convenient and easy to use.
- colinshark: (Indie PC Game) Gimbal is the multiplayer shooter with buildable vehicles. Customize your weaponry, engines, and accessories, and then take to the skies against other pilots in real time. $9.99 for Mefites (Normally $14.99) www.gimbalgame.com/mefi Gimbal is developed, maintained, marketed, and sold by myself, Colin Clark.
- jimray: Stock & Larder is cooking gear from the folks who bring you Salt & Fat. No gimmicks or single-use tools here, this is all stuff we use every day in our kitchens.
- lost_cause: Zilch is a fun dice game my friends like to play while we're sitting around drinking beer. To keep the dice from flying off the table, I've made these boxes out of scrap walnut and reclaimed heart pine that would otherwise end up in a landfill or fire pit. All are hand built by me in my shop in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Dice, rules sheet and free USPS Priority Mail shipping are included.
image courtesy of Saquan Stimpson