January 28, 2011 10:26 AM Subscribe
"Five orphans with a spacecraft battle a lipsticked maniac from the Crab Nebula and his unlikely big flying robots. No one gets hurt."In 1972, the anime action-adventure show Kagaku ninja tai Gatchaman (Science Ninja Team Gatchaman,) premiered on Japanese television. Featuring graphic violence, extensive profanity and a transgendered villain, it was one of the most popular animated series of its time. Envisioning similar success in the US, Sandy Frank Entertainment acquired the series in 1978 but deemed it too graphic and shocking for domestic audiences. So they hired two Hanna-Barbera vets to "
CBR: GATCHAMAN! The story of Tatsuo Yoshida and his greatest creation
Gatchaman Opening in Japanese with theme song by Masato Shimon, who is also known for his unique rendition of the theme to Star Wars. Partial translation of the lyrics.
Per IMDB, the show was originally marketed to capitalize on the first Star Wars movie. Voice artists on Battle of the Planets included Alan Young and Kasey Casem.
Japanese Episodes of Gatchaman I and two series sequels: Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter have been uploaded by user 0yulka0 (no playlist). These are in Japanese. Many have English or Korean subtitles. The differences between the two shows should be immediately obvious.
A number of episodes of Toonami’s 1986 “G-Force Guardians of Space” can also be seen on Youtube.
BBC Cult: Background
* Picture Gallery / Desktop Wallpaper:
* Gatchaman OVA
* Battle of the Planets
* Sandy Frank Entertainment
* Battle of the Planets
* Science Ninja Team Gatchaman
* Gatchaman Character Sheet
Fan Sites (and other sources)
* Anime News Network
* IGN lists the show as #44 on their Top 100 Animated Series list.
* Home of the White Shadow is devoted to all-things Gatchaman and Battle of the Planets. The owner also runs Gatchablog, which says that GatchaCon has been held at ComiCon annually for the last 13 years.
* Additional links and info
* Background on the Dutch translation of Battle of the Planets: Strijd der Planeten
* Russian LJ Fan Community
* From 2004, a review of the 25th Anniversary DVD collection.
* American (English) Original / Another version
* Spanish Dub: Fuerza G
* Gatchaman DVD from ADV Films trailer
* Russian Dub
* American (English) Intro (1986)
* Saban’s Eagle Riders (1996)
* Lyrics to the theme song
In 2009, Hong Kong studio Imagi released a pre-production trailer for a feature-length Science Ninja Team Gatchaman movie. More info and further details Another trailer, showing a different entirely CG style, was released in 2007. The studio folded / restructured last year and the movie’s fate is unknown.
One of the changes to the show (in an effort to fill airtime after the original cartoons had been gutted by SFE,) was the addition of cheesy clips starring a robot “narrator” for the team, (whose primary purpose seemed to be explaining to the viewing audience that "no one got hurt" or died,) named 7-Zark-7 who doesn’t get much love from some fans.
Last But Not Least
The site for Taiyo’s Gatchaman-themed slot machine is entirely in Japanese, but rather well done.
This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments