A crash course in nuclear wessels.
March 12, 2011 9:06 PM Subscribe
Amidst the massive aftermath of the earthquake and tsunami being discussed in this thread, the crisis at the Fukushima nuclear power plants continues to unfold. For objective information, discussion, and analysis of the ongoing efforts to stabilize the fuel cores in the boiling water reactors of the type in Fukushima, nuclear engineers such as @arclight are providing laypeople with a much needed crash course on the inner workings of nuclear reactors.
- How a nuclear power plant works.
- Wikipedia description/explanation of a nuclear meltdown.
- How a boiling water reactor (BWR) works.
- Ongoing plant status report from TEPCO, the plant operator.
- IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) updates.
- INES (International Nuclear Event Scale) Factsheet.
- A description of the Fukushima situation from MeFi's eriko.
- Detailed .pdf describing a boiling water reactor from the Asian Nuclear Safety Network and summary points from MeFi's zippy.
- Collection of Fukushima links from Mefi's nickyskye.