This led to the sight of a woman saying that she would no longer be accepting these responsibilities because no one was listening to her, and then a crowd of people obediently and monotonously repeated those sentiments back to her.
1. n. Originally, a quick job that produces what is needed, but not well.
- They are planning to hold classes, discussions, and workshops throughout the occupation. They're getting volunteers from the community to run them - for example, tomorrow evening there will be a class on nonviolent communication.
- They've gotten people to volunteer heath care, water, childcare (that sounds like it will be hairy) and legal services. They've got a help line set up in case people get arrested, and six lawyers so far. (They were careful to emphasize that they do not expect nor intend for anyone to get arrested.)
- The people there were, demographically, sort of what you'd expect in Austin - young, bearded white men, older first-gen hippie ladies, a smattering of minorities. There is a Diversity Committee working on reaching out to more people, and a need for some Spanish-language press materials, which are good signs I guess.
- The first external action seems to be organizing a mass account closure at major banks. They're collecting information on local banks and credit unions and will be encouraging people to make the switch.
Several other letters carried the suggestion of moving the protest-camp to the far larger, city-owned Battery Park.
« Older "As the sun rose on that fateful day, thousands of... | The restructuring of Delicious... Newer »
This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments
Buy a Shirt