"...whatever job you take, you're going to spend a lot of time there. You should try to make it fun."
February 28, 2012 8:57 PM Subscribe
posted by zarq (19 comments total)
42 users marked this as a favorite
, the Madison (WI) Police Department hired their first civilian Public Information Officer: former reporter Joel DeSpain. Over the last five years, Mr. DeSpain has reportedly combined "humor, a flair for the dramatic and sense of the absurd
", and turned the mundane Madison Police Blotter
into an "art form and a thing of joy." So Why Has Madison Wisconsin Has Become the Weird News Capitol of the Midwest
? Meet the United States’ most whimsical police reporter. (Last one's a gawker link. If you dislike their site / interface, have no fear: all reports in that article (plus four extras) can be found after the jump.)
Onion A/V Club Interview: Madison Police's Joel DeSpain on the art of writing police reports
* Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop
* The Rapture
* "Efforts to reach people who might be able to come over and give immediate help were unsuccessful. So, the officer and sergeant decided it would be best to make the woman a hot meal
* Thieves Pocket Dial 911
* Guy walks into a Dennys, claims to be the general manager and then makes his own cheeseburger and fries....
* Fowl Play?
* Lovely HEBA Shoplifter
* “I saw a real donnybrook
* "However, he did hand the officer his "Letter of Commitment to Jesus" which he thought was important for her to see.
* "During the flinging of the feces some ended up on Bell's clothes, and before the battle was over both women had squared off with the shovels
* Vikings, Pillaged
* Patron of the Arts
* Annie the ball python meets the Madison book club
Also, if you're in Madison, don't do this