Happy Birthday, Julia
August 14, 2012 12:48 PM Subscribe
posted by zarq (52 comments total)
86 users marked this as a favorite
Tomorrow would have been Julia Child
's 100th birthday. To celebrate, PBS Digital Studios offers: Julia Child Remixed
. They also have created a celebration page
, complete with an infographic
In the weeks leading up to her birthday, PBS has been releasing full episodes of her shows to stream online, at The Julia Child Video Collection
* In Julia’s Kitchen
: "Julia takes an in-depth look at contemporary American cooking: she cooks with the pros, detailing their techniques and dishes for the home cook."
* Baking With Julia
: "Julia hosts America’s leading chefs to bake dishes ranging from bread to petit fours to cakes and cookies. Plus, don’t miss Julia wield a blow torch."
* Cooking With Master Chefs
: "Watch Julia share the kitchen with America’s top chefs, including Jacques Pepin, Lidia Bastianich, Emeril Lagasse, Alice Waters and more."
* Cooking in Concert Series
: "Julia partners with Jacques Pepin and Graham Kerr to thrill crowds in these live specials that illustrate the skill, humor and personality of the masters."
* The French Chef
: The show that started it all: "Share Julia’s love of fine French food and learn to cook some of her most loved dishes with this special collection of 3 episodes from her original 1960s series."
* Julia & Jacques: Cooking at Home
(Hulu link) "Julia Child and Jacques Pepin join together with fire, fun and culinary genius in what became another classic hit. This was Julia’s last series on PBS."
In 1999, Child was interviewed for TV Legends, and spoke about her life and early influences. Site
. Parts: 1
The French Chef: Boeuf Bourguignon
, aka Beef Burgandy
* PBS Food
from the Washington Post.
* Julia Child's Recipe Series from the Smithsonian
* Random House: Recipes from Mastering the Art of French Cooking
Simply Recipes: Julia Child
* NYT: The Julia Child Recipes Home Cooks Still Make
* YumSugar: 7 Standout Julia Child Recipes
* Ladies Home Journal: Meryl Streep's and Amy Adams' Favorite Julia Child Recipes
Essays and Tributes
* PBS: Celebrity Chef Tributes
: Home of The French Chef, they're posting video clips and recipes on their blog
* Jacques Pepin: Memories of a Friend, Sidekick and Foil
* Russel Morash, Jr., Director of The French Chef
* Tori Avey / The History Kitchen: Brave, Curious, Bright and Fearless: A Tribute to Julia Child
* Melissa Clarke / NYT: On a Floating Island with Julia Child
Additional Articles and Reference Pages
* 2009 Vanity Fair: Laura Jacobs on Julia Child
* The New York Times: Julia Child
Previously on MeFi
* How to Make Primordial Soup
* Julia Child, Superspy
* Julia Child dies at 91