Join 3,512 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

A Love Letter to 2011
April 9, 2013 2:39 PM   Subscribe

Molly Crabapple's Shell Game "Illustrates Occupy and the Revolutions of 2011"

Democracy, Ow: A Q&A with Discordia authors Laurie Penny and Molly Crabapple
Street Art And The New Bohemian
Art After Occupy
When I got the job as a staff artist at a nightclub, the dream came true. It was the sort of impossibly swank joint where Saudi princelings blew $20,000 a night on champagne. Meanwhile, onstage, the world’s best vaudeville performers would do acrobatic, carefully choreographed acts about cutting off banker’s heads. My boss had the depravity of a Borgia prince, but goddamn, he understood my art. I drew my beloved performers as gods. Customers were coke snorting pigs.

It got me thinking that all it takes to get political is a sharp eye, a mocking disposition, a discomfort with your place.
VIA
posted by the man of twists and turns (11 comments total) 19 users marked this as a favorite

Neato! Was expecting Lower-East-Side-circa-1970s-style woodblock prints (ala Bread & Puppet Theater) but am digging the illustrative intricacy.
An anatomy of Zuccotti park, from the free cigarette table to the obnoxious drum circle to the people's library, with appearances by Tim Pool, Shamar Thomas and Tony Bologna. All signage is authentic, especially 'Shit is Fucked up and bullshit'
posted by spamandkimchi at 3:56 PM on April 9, 2013 [1 favorite]

2011. I remember it as if it were only yesterday.
posted by Halogenhat at 4:58 PM on April 9, 2013

From twitter: @gemini_scorpio: Didn't think this would happen: New York ordered to pay up over NYPD's destruction of Occupy property. #ows http://t.co/qWkZGtuJTx
posted by The Whelk at 8:49 PM on April 9, 2013 [2 favorites]

wow, that illustration is beautiful. put me down as another "my god, I remember it like it was yesterday."
posted by You Can't Tip a Buick at 9:09 PM on April 9, 2013

Yeah sometimes I freak out that's 2013 and "what the hell did I do for the last two years?' and then I remember -oh wait THAT THING.
posted by The Whelk at 9:15 AM on April 10, 2013

Homeland Security Spied On Peaceful Protestors; Worried About Protests Getting News Coverage (huffington, original)
posted by jeffburdges at 10:55 AM on April 10, 2013

New York ordered to pay up over NYPD's destruction of Occupy property.

NYPD Raid on Occupy Wall Street Just Cost the City $350,000

Thanks, NYPD: OWS Library Wins Settlement As City Hemorrhages More Money
posted by homunculus at 12:49 AM on April 11, 2013

We're all going to see the show tonight!
posted by The Whelk at 11:27 AM on April 14, 2013 [1 favorite]

The Spirit of Occupy Wall Street Is Alive in Berlin
posted by homunculus at 3:28 PM on April 17, 2013 [1 favorite]

Cops Who Pepper-Sprayed, Punched Occupy Protesters Escape DA Charges
posted by homunculus at 5:22 PM on April 21, 2013 [1 favorite]

Shell Game: CreativeCommons release
posted by homunculus at 4:19 PM on May 2, 2013

« Older Navy saves $1,399,000 versus short range missle....  |  The BBC documentary The Fishin... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments