Grass Greener, People Meaner?
March 30, 2004 11:17 AM   Subscribe

I lament the coursening of our society that the 2nd article alludes to -- on a personal level, the mother of our grandchild, in her mid-twenties, is about to get married (not to the baby's father, my stepson) - she seems to have no sense whatsover of the common courtesy of responding to her wedding showers with immediate thank you notes, and lived with us for 9 months, rent and board free, without once offering to wash the dishes without being asked. My step-son is an almost complete alcoholic loss, who seems to have no problem parasitically sponging off of anyone & blaming others for his problems/failures. Believe me it's not from lack of trying to raise them "right." Perhaps this lack of personal honor & integrity is endemic.
posted by Pressed Rat at 11:42 AM on March 30, 2004

I'll buy a general decline in civility, since we seem to have some (informal) evidence for it. I have trouble blaming it on MP3 players and cell phones, though.
posted by nickmark at 11:57 AM on March 30, 2004

Whatever. People have been saying this since language existed, and they'd've said it before if they could.
posted by kavasa at 12:49 PM on March 30, 2004

kavasa--- A cogent exposition - get a job.
posted by Pressed Rat at 1:08 PM on March 30, 2004

Back in the days when people "respected their elders" their elders were respectable.
posted by pyramid termite at 1:32 PM on March 30, 2004

Hrm. The idea that the internet has led to "lack of communication" strikes me as especially specious. Personally, I blame Bush.
posted by mr_roboto at 5:05 PM on March 30, 2004

This is true even on Metafilter.
posted by Slagman at 11:03 PM on March 30, 2004

« Older Average American vs European Height   |   So What are you doing on April 25th? Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments