Join 3,520 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Thread Thread
April 12, 2006 9:19 AM   Subscribe

"This item has become very popular following the ban on use of scissors on aeroplanes." Relax, Officer, it's just a thread-cutter.
posted by serafinapekkala (30 comments total)

Demure, yet deadly...the needlepoint assassin.
posted by serafinapekkala at 9:21 AM on April 12, 2006

Will it work on this thread?
posted by weapons-grade pandemonium at 9:29 AM on April 12, 2006

I don't leave home without my yarn cutter, a slightly beefier sister product.

Yarn cutting pendant, bamboo needles instead of metal ones, plastic darning needles...the undercover knitting agent's job has become much more difficult since 9/11.
posted by padraigin at 9:31 AM on April 12, 2006

Um, what's your point? Scissors are potentially deadly; a threadcutter is harmless. Makes sense to me.
posted by amro at 9:31 AM on April 12, 2006

...the undercover knitting agent's job has become much more difficult since 9/11.

*Nods to other conspirators: Our plans are working.*
posted by three blind mice at 9:35 AM on April 12, 2006

WGP: probably not. that would require a virtual thread cutter, and they're hard to find. (mine, I think, is somewhere in the basement. I may never find it.)

I've used one of these thread cutters for about 10 years, or since my then-toddler dug through my sewing basket, found my scissors, and poked holes in the sofa cushions. I use thread snips (which look like small sheep shears) for heavier threads.
posted by jlkr at 9:42 AM on April 12, 2006

padraigin, that thing could be used shuriken-style!
posted by NationalKato at 9:46 AM on April 12, 2006

padraigin, that thing could be used shuriken-style!

Just call me a kninja :)
posted by padraigin at 9:51 AM on April 12, 2006

The shuriken idea was exactly what I was thinking too... I actually think it's just kind of cool-looking to wear, sewing skills or not. (What I don't get is, you can't have scissors to cut thread, but you can still take needles on with you? Weird.)

Can someone who knows what they're talking about explain why it has six cut points? Is it just decorative or are the blades varied, and if so do you really need different blades to cut different... umm... pieces of string? It's not exactly the same as needing a knife for paring and a knife for bone, is it?
posted by XQUZYPHYR at 9:56 AM on April 12, 2006

Maybe because the blades get dull and their is no way to sharpen them, so you just move on to the next section?
posted by mullacc at 9:59 AM on April 12, 2006

s/their/there
posted by mullacc at 9:59 AM on April 12, 2006

Purely decorative. All the blades are the same. The one in my picture has wide spaces to access the blade; that's what makes it a yarn cutter versus the thread cutter in the link, which has smaller "petals".

But man, it would be cool if the different cutting areas were for different uses. Like a Leatherman for little old ladies.

I cannot seem to figure out how to use mine for opening bottles. That's one task that would take the yarn/thread cutting pendant to a whole new level of badass.
posted by padraigin at 10:01 AM on April 12, 2006

posted by GuyZero at 10:14 AM on April 12, 2006

It breaks the guidelines.
posted by agregoli at 10:53 AM on April 12, 2006

Its true, I didn't believe it until now, 9/11 changed everything.
posted by sfts2 at 10:56 AM on April 12, 2006

Will this company go belly up now that the restrictions have been lessened?
posted by Pollomacho at 10:59 AM on April 12, 2006

Scissors are potentially deadly

Now there's a good one!
posted by wakko at 11:13 AM on April 12, 2006

9/11 changed the face of mending clothes, forever.
posted by fire&wings at 11:22 AM on April 12, 2006

I've had a Clover cutter for years - that, plus blunt needles, have allowed me to cross-stitch on airplanes. The individual sections do get dull. But it is pretty!
posted by candyland at 11:24 AM on April 12, 2006

Pick up the pieces of your weapon, the glave. Avoid all boulders.
posted by kirkaracha at 11:32 AM on April 12, 2006

Even prior to 9/11, it was impossible to carry my daisy cutter onto planes.
posted by mr_crash_davis at 11:51 AM on April 12, 2006

So I should carry this instead of my polycarbonate or ceramic blades?
posted by Smedleyman at 2:14 PM on April 12, 2006

As of a year ago (last time I looked) the thread cutters were technically not allowed by the TSA. But I think they slip through pretty frequently. I didn't want to risk losing one, so I used a different trick to cut yarn on my last flight: bring dental floss, and use the little floss cutter. It works!
posted by litlnemo at 2:36 PM on April 12, 2006

The TSA isn't specific at all with regard to thread cutters; throwing stars are specifically relegated to checked luggage only.
posted by padraigin at 2:49 PM on April 12, 2006

Thread cutter? Pfft.

These would work much better, I think.
posted by yellowlightman at 3:04 PM on April 12, 2006

Aha, but can you run with these?
posted by Smedleyman at 3:41 PM on April 12, 2006

Has anyone informed the Ladies Sewing Circle and Terrorist Society?

These might come in very handy someday for them :)
posted by symbioid at 4:39 PM on April 12, 2006

Looks like the TSA doesn't care about the thread cutters anymore. Last year they had a document that listed them (under some other name like "blades inside an exterior decorative shell" or something else -- actually something that describes the thread cutters much better than that, I just don't remember exactly) as forbidden, but they have loosened up on a bunch of things since then and they don't seem to list the thread cutters in the link padraigin posted.
posted by litlnemo at 1:49 PM on April 13, 2006

It's nice that the TSA is relaxing some of those crazy post-9/11 restrictions. I mean, how hard is it to stop someone who's coming at you with a thread cutter? Just flick them in the forehead or something.
posted by purplemonkie at 2:51 PM on April 13, 2006

Gadzooks! I left my thread cutter on my autogyro!
posted by crunchland at 3:15 PM on April 13, 2006

« Older Remember when US forces "found the weapons of mass...  |  Kicking it to Title 26... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments