In 1992 a young man in Cairns, ignoring all the warning signs, went swimming in the Pacific waters at a place called Holloways Beach. He swam and dove, taunting his friends on the beach for their prudent cowardice, and then began to scream with an inhuman sound. It is said that there is no pain to compare with it. The young man staggered from the water, covered in livid whiplike stripes wherever the jellyfish's tentacles had brushed across him, and collapsed in quivering shock. Soon afterward emergency crews arrived, inflated him with morphine, and took him away for treatment. And here's the thing. Even unconscious and sedated, he was still screaming.
Australia is the only country in the world that has snake venom detection kits. A swab from the bite site, blood, or urine allows the doctor to select the type of snake antivenom which may have to be used.
« Older Dance Dance Dance!... | Saul Williams on camera: Black... Newer »
This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments
Buy a Shirt