1 suspect in foiled airliner plot released, London police say
Updated 8/16/2006 7:53 PM ET
LONDON (AP) — A district judge ruled Wednesday that British investigators have until next week to investigate the suspects arrested in an alleged plot to blow up as many as 10 trans-Atlantic jetliners, saying they could be kept in custody without charge.
Scotland Yard later said a person arrested on Tuesday as part of its investigation into the foiled plot was released without charge. Another detainee was released without charge Friday.
The judicial order was the first major test of a new terrorism law that lets suspects be held for as long as 28 days without charge so investigators can solidify their cases.
The hearing, which addressed the cases of 23 suspects arrested in Britain's initial sweep last week, was held behind closed doors and attended only by the suspects' lawyers, investigators and government officials...
Terrorism & Security
posted August 17, 2006 at 11:50 a.m.
Terrorist plots everywhere ... and nowhere
After London arrests, false alarms ring loudly in US.
By Tom Regan | csmonitor.com
In the week since British police conducted a major counterterrorism operation against an alleged plot to blow up airline flights between Britain and the US, a series of false alarms has shown how tense people have become about the threat of a terrorist attack in America. While all of the events were originally described, or considered, possible terrorist activities, none of them has been shown to have any connection with terrorism...
It bothers me that we're turning into a bunch of nervous pussies.
I belive the last 'sucessful' attempt to bring down an airliner with liquid explosives resulted in killing one person and not doing any damage to the airplane itself.
Private jets seen as short-term fix
Friday, August 18, 2006; Posted: 11:44 a.m.
CHICAGO, Illinois (Reuters) -- Tighter airport security in the wake of a foiled bomb plot in Britain last week sent big-spending business travelers rushing to private jets in hopes of avoiding long delays and luggage restrictions...
NBTA's Tiller said airport operations are already returning to normal and that business travelers that avoided commercial airlines are returning.
He noted, however, that travelers who used private jets to circumvent airport security may develop a liking for the convenience and make greater use of them in the future.
"In times when standard commercial aviation becomes more challenging, corporations look to potential alternatives," Tiller said. "Those alternatives provide added value during the challenging time, but they may provide added value even as things return to normal."
NBTA surveys show a growing use of private jets and charters since the 2001 terror attacks on the United States. A 2002 survey of corporate travel managers showed that 26 percent of U.S. companies used private jets. By 2004, 33 percent of the companies said they used them. Informal research from the NBTA show the trend continues.
Tiller added that business travel has increased across the board and airlines have not seen a decline in business travel customers.
Ryanair today threatened to sue the government for compensation unless airport security measures are returned to normal within seven days.
Michael O'Leary, the outspoken chief executive of Ryanair, described the new restrictions as "farcical Keystone Cops security measures that don't add anything except to block up airports",
« Older "I choose to hang on to the anorexia" (requires Fl... | U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs... Newer »
This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments
Buy a Shirt