Join 3,513 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)


The Riddler Strikes Again!
August 12, 2010 8:25 AM   Subscribe

Anderson Cooper attempts to reason with the wild-eyed Debbie Riddle, a Texas State Representative who wants to save the US from bomb-throwing "anchor babies".
posted by hermitosis (243 comments total) 14 users marked this as a favorite

 
Mental illness is not funny.
posted by dammitjim at 8:28 AM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


Don't say "anchor babies" too loudly... Malkin might be listening...
posted by OneMonkeysUncle at 8:30 AM on August 12, 2010


Transcript.
posted by mr_crash_davis mark II: Jazz Odyssey at 8:31 AM on August 12, 2010 [8 favorites]


The transcript is surely great but then you miss the wild eyes.
posted by hermitosis at 8:31 AM on August 12, 2010


She has a puzzling way of holding her mouth when she speaks. Where have I seen it before?

Oh yes.

Maybe she got a little too close to the pit of hell.
posted by Astro Zombie at 8:34 AM on August 12, 2010 [6 favorites]


I think she's a dead ringer for Beth Grant, of "Sparkle Motion" fame.
posted by hermitosis at 8:35 AM on August 12, 2010 [5 favorites]


"If someone is here illegally, then they're not here legally."

Hard to argue with that.
posted by echo target at 8:38 AM on August 12, 2010 [16 favorites]


It's common knowledge that over 81 percent of the babies that are born at LBJ Hospital right here in Houston are born of women who are not here legally.

Anybody else able to verify this? The only place where this stat shows up, unsourced, is anti-immigrant sites.
posted by Astro Zombie at 8:39 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


Anybody else able to verify this?

"They're still gathering that information."
posted by yeloson at 8:41 AM on August 12, 2010 [10 favorites]


Astro Zombie: I recognized her work from this.
posted by Dr. Zira at 8:41 AM on August 12, 2010


I watched this live and Ms. Josher 71 was VERY upset and made me turn off this idiot.
posted by josher71 at 8:41 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


Wait? Cooper's questioning the accuracy of a vague claim from an elected official? To her face? Is it 1975 or something? What kind of journalist does that?
posted by Mayor Curley at 8:41 AM on August 12, 2010 [95 favorites]


The Hatred is strong with this one. I often wonder if the "THIS IS MINE, GET THE FUCK BACK" response is nature or nurture. It seems a survival trait, kind of like how badly socialized dogs growl if you get near them while they're eating.

That people like that get into positions of power bothers me greatly.
posted by Mooski at 8:43 AM on August 12, 2010 [13 favorites]


Has any raised the possibility that this woman is a space alien garbed in human skin sent here to scout the planet before her kind begin colonizing?
posted by DU at 8:44 AM on August 12, 2010 [12 favorites]


What is it with Texans at the voting booth, anyway? Is there some mind altering drink they have to take before they vote?

Apologies to all rational Texas voters. We know you're out there. Outvoted but out there.
posted by bearwife at 8:45 AM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


"Lil' Terrists, Mr. Cooper! Lil' Terrists! They're sappin' our precious bodily fludes!"
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 8:45 AM on August 12, 2010 [6 favorites]


Anderson Cooper as a baby. Vanderbilt doesn't sound like an American name to me; maybe he's a sleeper ...
posted by carter at 8:46 AM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


What is it with Texans at the voting booth, anyway? Is there some mind altering drink they have to take before they vote?

i bet you thought "drink lone star and you'll go far" was just a saying
posted by pyramid termite at 8:48 AM on August 12, 2010 [5 favorites]


Rep. Riddle makes me ashamed to be Texan but Anderson Cooper makes me proud to be ambiguously gay. *swoon*
posted by Azazel Fel at 8:48 AM on August 12, 2010 [10 favorites]


Are you sure that isn't that just Amy Sedaris fucking with Anderson Cooper?
posted by stavrogin at 8:48 AM on August 12, 2010 [60 favorites]


Yeah, lady, the terrorists are coming over here for the healthcare. Christ.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 8:49 AM on August 12, 2010 [34 favorites]


COOPER: What former FBI officials -- I mean, what evidence is there of some sort of long-term plot to have American babies born here and then become terrorists -- raised as terrorists overseas and then come back here?

RIDDLE: Well, at this point, I don't have the hard evidence right here in front of me.


Because, I had no idea when I was getting ready for this interview that we might be talking about what evidence I might be able to provide to these outlandish claims we have been making...

COOPER: I mean, if this is a real threat to the security of the United States, why wouldn't current FBI people be worried about it as well? I mean, why wouldn't this actually be...

RIDDLE: You know what? That's a really good question, because right now we have serious current threat that the government seems to be ignoring, and ignoring on our southern border. Quite honestly...


I love how, when called out on the lack of facts, the discussion instantly gets flipped from this being about terrorists, to this being about Mexicans.

And by "love" I mean, "really fucking hate".
posted by quin at 8:49 AM on August 12, 2010 [11 favorites]


ANDERSON ANDERSON I'M GONNA HAFTA INTERRUPT HERE ANDERSON ANDERSON
posted by Sticherbeast at 8:49 AM on August 12, 2010 [9 favorites]


In other contexts, this is known as "low-hanging fruit".
posted by Joe Beese at 8:50 AM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


That "81% are borne of illegals stat" isn't entirely clear.

That includes mothers who are legal residents and those with work or student visas. Because the numbers were derived from women enrolled in a program providing emergency Medicaid services for non-citizens, it's unclear how many of those babies were born to undocumented mothers.
posted by Cat Pie Hurts at 8:50 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


I know a former FBI agent who tells me that there is hard evidence that Debbie Riddle is a witch. I would share this evidence with you all but I am still gathering it and am not ready to reveal it at this time. However, in the interests of the SECURITY OF THE UNITED STATES I demand that Debbie Riddle be burned at the stake. Oh, and also anyone who even looks like her. It's time to stop playing games with the SECURITY OF THE UNITED STATES.
posted by Decani at 8:50 AM on August 12, 2010 [54 favorites]


What is it with Texans at the voting booth, anyway? Is there some mind altering drink they have to take before they vote?

Tequila.
posted by dortmunder at 8:51 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


So let's follow the... uh, line? of thought here:

1. ZOMG! People are having babies here to raise terrorists to come back in a couple of decades.
2. The borders are so loose, and it's "very easy" to build a dirty bomb, so they could run over and drop off a bomb RIGHT NOW.
3. And illegal immigrants having babies and utilizing "entitlement programs" are going to ruin our country.

If these were true, I know one of the above would overshadow the other two to the point where the other two would not even be mentioned... but hey, with strategic thinking like this, I know who to look to for my security!!!!
posted by yeloson at 8:51 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


In other contexts, this is known as "low-hanging fruit".

I think that's a pretty repulsive way to refer to Anderson Cooper and how would you know, anyway?
posted by The Bellman at 8:52 AM on August 12, 2010 [8 favorites]


So if an illegal immigrant has a baby and stays in the US, it's an Anchor Baby; if they go home, it's a Terror Baby?
posted by TheophileEscargot at 8:53 AM on August 12, 2010 [15 favorites]


What passes for a discussion of world events these days is about as grounded in reality as a backyard camp out and a couple of s'more fueled 10 year olds telling ghost stories. Serious, how long before our "leaders" and our "experts" start confusing the latest Vin Diesel picture for reality.

"The problem Anderson is we have more and more werewolves moving into Tulsa, and just not enough school teachers to handle the load"
posted by nola at 8:54 AM on August 12, 2010 [17 favorites]


So people can just walk over with a bomb...but instead will engage in a years long baby terrorist training program.
posted by furiousxgeorge at 8:56 AM on August 12, 2010 [16 favorites]


Sorry, I can't look at that face for more than a few seconds without closing the browser window.
posted by Burhanistan at 8:56 AM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


How is babby anchored?? How terrorist get citzenshaip?
posted by sanko at 8:57 AM on August 12, 2010 [97 favorites]


So... if you can enter the US on a tourist visa to have a baby, couldn't your foreign-born baby just as easily enter the US on a tourist visa to make a bomb in the kitchen of your mom?

Shit like this actually just makes me sad and exasperated. What do you do when the press is giving this much stupid, this much crazy, a pulpit to preach from?
posted by uncleozzy at 8:58 AM on August 12, 2010 [5 favorites]


You know you have to wait 21 years before the whole "anchor baby" plan can play out, right? Seems like an awful lot of planning for a border jumper.

And anyone who's ever been on flight with a child knows what the real definition of "terror baby" is.

Also, her teeth are fake.

Also, Anderson Cooper is a USDA Prime Hottie.

That is all.
posted by phunniemee at 8:58 AM on August 12, 2010 [10 favorites]


Sorry, I can't think of that phrase without getting the "Muppet Babies" animated TV show theme song stuck in my head...

Anchor Babies, we make our dreams come truuuuue!
Anchor Babies, we'll do the same for youuuuuu!

posted by Asparagirl at 8:58 AM on August 12, 2010 [16 favorites]


> What is it with Texans at the voting booth, anyway? Is there some mind altering drink they have to take before they vote?


Er, you know that there are nutjobs in the US House from all over the country. Singling out Texas is lazy and unfair.
posted by Burhanistan at 8:59 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


She blinked about 3 times and it looks like her mouth never actually closes. Anchia is great - I don't know how he can be so good humored when listening to such nonsense, in addition to being effective at making his points.
posted by a womble is an active kind of sloth at 8:59 AM on August 12, 2010


Honest question before I snark: does this woman have some sort of neuro-muscular disease or did she have stroke or accident or something or is it just botox? Because....
posted by spicynuts at 8:59 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


ooh, "Eyes shut" should have been "Eyes closed"
posted by a womble is an active kind of sloth at 9:00 AM on August 12, 2010


looking beyond the obvious questions of 'is she insane,' 'is she an alien,' 'is she capable of rational thought' and 'is she reflective or just an automaton' I have to ask ...

What the hell is wrong with her upper lip?????
posted by offtheroad at 9:00 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]



Sorry, I can't think of that phrase without getting the "Muppet Babies" animated TV show theme song stuck in my head...

Anchor Babies, we make our dreams come truuuuue!
Anchor Babies, we'll do the same for youuuuuu!


Look, the fact is if you will have a hard time demonizing any group called "*BLANK* Babies."
posted by furiousxgeorge at 9:01 AM on August 12, 2010


I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE GOING TO ASK ME QUESTIONS AND EXPECT ME TO ANSWER THEM, MR. REPORTER
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 9:01 AM on August 12, 2010 [41 favorites]


Er, you know that there are nutjobs in the US House from all over the country. Singling out Texas is lazy and unfair.

This is true. In Minnesota we have Michelle Bachmann (But not my district. I get to vote for Keith Ellison, a bona fide MUSLIM! Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Riddle!).
posted by norm at 9:02 AM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


I think she forgot to hold her ventriloquist's dummy up so the camera could see it.
posted by interrobang at 9:02 AM on August 12, 2010


this appears to be a bit lolteaparty to me.
posted by HuronBob at 9:02 AM on August 12, 2010



Look, the fact is if you will have a hard time demonizing any group called "*BLANK* Babies."


even Hitler Babies?
posted by The Whelk at 9:02 AM on August 12, 2010 [7 favorites]


does this woman have some sort of neuro-muscular disease or did she have stroke or accident or something or is it just botox

I did some quick research and found no evidence of that. If it comes up, I retract my Fire Marshall Bill comment, as I do not make fun of people for illness or disfigurement.
posted by Astro Zombie at 9:03 AM on August 12, 2010


I had to turn it off when she said "entitlement programs." What would an "entitlement program" even be? Some sort of self-esteem class that made students feel entitled to things? Yes, I have some idea of what she really meant, even though what she actually said made no sense. Which is sort of interesting.

This approach to communication has something in common with Lady Gaga songs. Lady Gaga always sings "Ghaaah-ghaah" at some point in her songs, so there's no doubt in a listener's mind who the singer is. It's like an audio version of a logo. I think the marketing people call it "sonic branding." You know that little "Dah DAH dah DAH" song for Intel? Everyone does.

So here Riddle just works the word "entitlement" into whatever she's talking about, even when it makes absolutely no sense in context, so a listener immediately knows her position and attitude about a number of issues like immigration, anti-poverty programs, health care, etc. We've entered a new era where the 5-second sound bite is too long, an era in which an effective communicator is expected to quell any serious depth of thought and evoke complicated feelings in the listener with a single code-word.
posted by Western Infidels at 9:04 AM on August 12, 2010 [13 favorites]


Even Hitler Babies.
posted by furiousxgeorge at 9:04 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


It's not cool to comment on someone's looks just because you disagree with them.
posted by desjardins at 9:04 AM on August 12, 2010 [11 favorites]


There is not another country in the world where you....can go and be there illegally.

wut.
posted by phunniemee at 9:05 AM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


I think that's a pretty repulsive way to refer to Anderson Cooper and how would you know, anyway?

Heh. As it happens, I acted in a high school production of "The Life and Times of Sholom Aleichem" with him. But I didn't see him changing backstage or anything. So your guess about his scrotal sac is as good as mine.
posted by Joe Beese at 9:06 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


Anchia is great - I don't know how he can be so good humored when listening to such nonsense, in addition to being effective at making his points.

He might just have excellent self-control, but I would need pretty large doses of Atenolol and Xanax to be that cool with an idiot shrieking at me on national tv.
posted by aught at 9:06 AM on August 12, 2010


Serious, how long before our "leaders" and our "experts" start confusing the latest Vin Diesel picture for reality.

The sad (hilarious?) thing is, the plots of Vin Diesel movies make more sense than these people do.
posted by rtha at 9:06 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


Wow. That woman is insane. Impressively incoherently insane, too.
posted by jaduncan at 9:07 AM on August 12, 2010



There is not another country in the world where you....can go and be there illegally.

wut.


She was going to say nowhere that your baby will be a citizen when it is born while you are there illegally, but they stepped in to call her out on that being wrong.
posted by furiousxgeorge at 9:07 AM on August 12, 2010


Er, you know that there are nutjobs in the US House from all over the country. Singling out Texas is lazy and unfair.

She's actually a Texas State Representative. All our State Representative nutjobs unfortunately come from Texas. And even more unfortunately, all the sane ones are Anchor Baby sleeper agents.
posted by muddgirl at 9:08 AM on August 12, 2010 [4 favorites]


I know nothing of the process of getting citizenship with an "anchor baby," and Stephen Colbert seems like a pretty straight shooter, so I'll trust his words:
You see, when an illegal man and an illegal woman just love each other very much, they share a special hug.... Then nine months later the baby is born a u.s. citizen. And by immigration law, they can get their relative a green card. All they have to do is wait until the child turns 21, have it petition the government, then return to Mexico for a mandatory ten-year waiting period and then, boom, they come back to steal all of our social services starting with social security because by then they're eligible.
At least 31 years for that Anchor Baby plan to work out. And I thought the Terror Baby plan of ~20 years took patience.
posted by filthy light thief at 9:08 AM on August 12, 2010 [11 favorites]


Honest question before I snark: does this woman have some sort of neuro-muscular disease or did she have stroke or accident or something or is it just botox?

Seriously what difference does it make? What do her eyes/lips have to do with the content of what she is saying? Why would the lack of evidence that she has a disease give you permission to snark on her appearance?
posted by desjardins at 9:08 AM on August 12, 2010 [12 favorites]


Er, you know that there are nutjobs in the US House from all over the country. Singling out Texas is lazy and unfair.

She's a TX state representative, not in the US House.
posted by hippybear at 9:08 AM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


stroke or accident or something or is it just botox? Because....

My first thought was botox AND cheek implants.
posted by R. Mutt at 9:08 AM on August 12, 2010


She seems to think the concept of Jus soli is a purely American one. She also appears to have a problem with this elusive concept known as "the truth" and is trying her best to improvise something like "the truth" by getting as angry as possible when confronted with the fact that she is either lying or ridiculously misinformed.

How incredibly frustrating.
posted by lydhre at 9:08 AM on August 12, 2010


It's not cool to comment on someone's looks just because you disagree with them.

I assume her speaking manner and wild-eyedness is not biological in origin; I find no evidence that it is. Making fun of the way people present themselves, which may be unconscious but is volitional, is not the same thing as mocking their appearance.

Again, if it's a medical problem, I retract my comment.
posted by Astro Zombie at 9:09 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


It's not cool to comment on someone's looks just because you disagree with them.

If it was JUST the looks, or JUST her opinions, or JUST her political affiliation or any number of other things, I would totally agree and would never have posted. The fact that it's ALL of these things and more, with layers spiraling downward the further you watch, is what captivated me.

In the immortal words of one RuPaul's Drag Race judge: "It's basically so bad that I wouldn't change a thing."
posted by hermitosis at 9:09 AM on August 12, 2010 [6 favorites]


So your guess about his scrotal sac is as good as mine.

Over here in these parts 'low hanging' refers to the penis in that a big one would hang low. Not the sac. Who cares about a big sac?
posted by spicynuts at 9:09 AM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


> She's a TX state representative, not in the US House.

Ah, same difference though.
posted by Burhanistan at 9:10 AM on August 12, 2010


Is it just me or does this sound vaguely similar to the plot of Salt? And Salt just came out recently...

Lets just make sure she can't see any more movies. Next thing you know, she's going to be going on about the next X-Men movie, and how we need to round up the mutants before they take our health care.
posted by cschneid at 9:10 AM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


even Hitler Babies?

Those cute little toothbrush mustaches are adorable!
posted by TheWhiteSkull at 9:10 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


[facepalm]
posted by Fizz at 9:10 AM on August 12, 2010


Well, legally the Anchor baby thing can't happen, but it does in a sense. No one wants to deport the parents because a kid needs parents and you can't deport a citizen for who their parents are. It won't get the parents legal status, but it will make it less likely they are actually deported.
posted by furiousxgeorge at 9:11 AM on August 12, 2010


She's nuts but "entitlement program" is bog-standard language for Medicare, Social Security, unemployment payments, and similar "programs" of government based "entitlements".
posted by Babblesort at 9:11 AM on August 12, 2010


I watched this earlier and gotta say, that obviously she's a wackjob, I as very disappointed with Cooper. She may be crazy, but she got in all her talking points without being interupted, which is her entire reason for going on the show. To other crazies (like the people who elected her), she doesn't sound crazy--she sounds rational. Cooper did a terrible, terrible job here. I've not seen much of his broadcasts before (I'm not an American) and still think of him as the host of The Mole, but after watching that, I hope he doesn't have that job much longer. The only difference between him and Glen Beck (in this clip) is the lack of verbal agreement.
posted by dobbs at 9:11 AM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


"The problem Anderson is we have more and more werewolves moving into Tulsa, and just not enough school teachers to handle the load"

TEAM JACOB
posted by Greg Nog at 9:11 AM on August 12, 2010 [5 favorites]


It's not cool to comment on someone's looks just because you disagree with them.

Cram it, funny lookin'.
posted by schoolgirl report at 9:12 AM on August 12, 2010 [4 favorites]


Aargh: I watched this earlier and gotta say, though obviously she's a wackjob, I was very disappointed with Cooper.
posted by dobbs at 9:12 AM on August 12, 2010



Seriously what difference does it make? What do her eyes/lips have to do with the content of what she is saying? Why would the lack of evidence that she has a disease give you permission to snark on her appearance?


First, I'll will say whatever I wish about whoever I wish and take the consequences, so kindly piss off. Second, if her values involve spending money on mangling her face with rat poison, shoving saline filled 'cheeks' under her skin and otherwise pulling her face into a death mask, it goes to evidence of her personal mind set and mental make up.
posted by spicynuts at 9:12 AM on August 12, 2010 [11 favorites]


Who cares about a big sac?
posted by spicynuts


The guy I roomed with for the first half of my freshman year would never shut up about his giant ballsack. And his friends would hang around and talk about its gigantitude. And this is actually on the lesser end of his weird/annoying spectrum.

Now that I think about it, dude's probably currently sitting in the TX state House.
posted by COBRA! at 9:14 AM on August 12, 2010


Now that I think about it, dude's probably currently sitting in the TX state House.

but presumably, not very comfortably.
posted by Babblesort at 9:16 AM on August 12, 2010 [24 favorites]


It's 2010, and CNN still hasn't figure out how to show video on its web site in an HD aspect ratio. Stretching standard definition TV to make it fit your wide screen does not equal HD.
posted by emelenjr at 9:17 AM on August 12, 2010 [6 favorites]


this appears to be a bit lolteaparty to me.

See, to me it's useful to see a bona fide member of the MSM asking these people to offer proof of their BS. Or, at least, attempting actual journalism.

Believe me when I say I don't find this the least bit LOL worthy.
posted by dry white toast at 9:17 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


Yes, spicynuts. Every person who's ever had elective cosmetic surgery is clearly mentally deranged. That is a perfectly logical and non-bigoted outlook on modern femininity.

Putting aside, of course, the fact that she could have had one of any number of medical conditions that causes facial paralysis.
posted by muddgirl at 9:18 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


Putting aside, of course, the fact that she could have had one of any number of medical conditions that causes facial paralysis.

Kindly read the thread and refer to my first comment before you go casting aspersions.
posted by spicynuts at 9:20 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


COOPER: What former FBI officials -- I mean, what evidence is there of some sort of long-term plot to have American babies born here and then become terrorists -- raised as terrorists overseas and then come back here?

It's common knowledge that over 81 percent of the babies that are born at LBJ Hospital right here in Houston are clones of Adolph Hitler Osama Bin Laden, raised by unsuspecting fathers who will be killed at age 65 in order to create a new caliphate.

I've said too much.
posted by Combustible Edison Lighthouse at 9:22 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


She's nuts but "entitlement program" is bog-standard right-wing PC talking point language for Medicare, Social Security, unemployment payments, and similar "programs" of government based "entitlements".
posted by dirigibleman at 9:22 AM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


Who cares about a big sac?

Dilettante.
posted by fatbird at 9:23 AM on August 12, 2010


Who gives a damn what she looks like?

It's laughing at what she's like inside that's important.
posted by BitterOldPunk at 9:24 AM on August 12, 2010 [17 favorites]


Colbert on the same issue. One of his better segments in recent memory.

Mentioned earlier in this thread, but with a broken link.
posted by schmod at 9:24 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]



Er, you know that there are nutjobs in the US House [sic] from all over the country. Singling out Texas is lazy and unfair.


Well, Burhanistan, I have questions about how a bunch of Arizona state representatives got elected too, and there are indeed other states with peculiar people in office, but Texas has got more than its share. And eventually you have to ask -- why are these people legitimate candidates for office in this state? This woman has been in her position since 2002 -- why? Looking at the voters in her district, here.
posted by bearwife at 9:26 AM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


I don't get this "21 year" thing.

OK here's the scenario: Let's say a woman without a visa (i.e., legal permission to be in the country) has a baby in America. The baby is automatically an American citizen. The mother is still in the country without a visa.

Is this right?

Is anyone suggesting that the American citizen be deported?

Is the solution to deport the mother and leave the American citizen baby to fend for itself?

Or is someone crazy enough to suggest that the mother who does not have a visa to be in the country be allowed to remain to take care of the kid cause you know if that's the case (and I can't believe this could be true) that sounds a lot to me like an anchor.
posted by three blind mice at 9:26 AM on August 12, 2010


My $ is on massive Botox use.

And regarding possible Botox use: there is some ongoing research into weather it's use for cosmetic effects on the face may actually impair a person's ability to feel empathy (perhaps apropo here?).

Essentially the theory is, we use our face to mimic feelings in others as part of being able to understand their emotions. When Botox freezes those muscles it actually can eventually have an effect on the brain's ability to read emotions in others. I was going to link to the article on www.sciencenews.org but the site is down right now, look for it there later if you want to read more.
posted by edgeways at 9:26 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


Kindly read the thread and refer to my first comment before you go casting aspersions.

No aspersions - I read your first comment. I just figured it would take longer than a few minutes to change your mind from doubt to full-on woman bashing. Maybe I was wrong.
posted by muddgirl at 9:26 AM on August 12, 2010


Who cares about a big sac?
posted by spicynuts


What's the opposite of eponysterical?
posted by The Bellman at 9:27 AM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


Entitlement program is not a right wing talking point. It is the legal language that describes a legislatively mandated right.

ENTITLEMENT PROGRAM

A federal program that guarantees a certain level of benefits to persons or other entities who meet requirements set by law, such as Social Security, farm price supports or unemployment benefits. It thus leaves no discretion with Congress on how much money to appropriate, and some entitlements carry permanent appropriations.
posted by Babblesort at 9:28 AM on August 12, 2010


Why are we even talking about this shit. That's what I don't understand. The Republicans aren't in power. They don't control the agenda.

Yet all it takes is a few nut cases to start talking about repealing the 14th amendment, then suddenly all the conservative blogs talk about it, then suddenly all the Repbulicans want to do it, and then suddenly all the liberal blogs start talking about it, and then it becomes a national argument... ABOUT SOMETHING THAT WILL NEVER FUCKING HAPPEN BECAUSE IT'S SO FUCKING STUPID.

Meanwhile, even reasonable liberal goals on things like global warming, or the economy, or real immigration or real terrorism go unnoticed, even though they're about actual real things that will actually affect us.
posted by fungible at 9:28 AM on August 12, 2010 [46 favorites]


What some people are reacting to is the fact that she tends to pronounce bilabials with her upper teeth instead of her top lip. Instead of bringing her lips together to make sounds like b, p, and m, she presses her bottom lip against her teeth in a way similar to how most people produce the labiodental fricatives (f and v). Even though the sounds are acoustically distinct, this is not always considered a speech impediment. Some people naturally form bilabial stops this way, others articulate this way because of dental work that increases the distance between the lips, or facial surgery that decreases the mobility of the upper lip. As a linguist I would like to reiterate (sort of) desjardins' point: speech mannerisms and dialectical variations are not indicative of intelligence or lack of intelligence. Representative Riddle seems to have given us enough evidence in the content of what she said to make those types of judgments without resorting to casting aspersions on how she said it.
posted by tractorfeed at 9:28 AM on August 12, 2010 [22 favorites]


Wow. How do these people get elected?
posted by seanyboy at 9:29 AM on August 12, 2010


Men get Botox and plastic surgery too, muddgirl. Lots of them.
posted by hermitosis at 9:32 AM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


Anderson Cooper attempts to reason

Well, there's your first mistake right there...
posted by Cool Papa Bell at 9:33 AM on August 12, 2010


Watching that felt like sitting in the cockroach tank on Fear Factor. I'm afraid I tagged out during Riddle's second crazy speech. Big props to anyone who lasted longer than that. I need a shower so bad.
posted by rusty at 9:34 AM on August 12, 2010


so.. wait... the talking point is that we should be more like Europe? Because (unless I have it completely wrong) many/most European countries grant citizenship based on parental citizenship not Jus soli.
posted by edgeways at 9:35 AM on August 12, 2010


> Wow. How do these people get elected?

Low voter turnout, suburban republican district, and pre-election proceedings that don't really amount to any real debate or disclosure. She's clearly an opportunist looking for more full time political work (Texas House members get about $600 per month) and is parroting some talking points but then unable to flesh them out when called on it. By and large, she hasn't done squat there (which is a good thing).
posted by Burhanistan at 9:36 AM on August 12, 2010 [4 favorites]


This is an issue with not only folks coming across our southern border, with what is called anchor babies, and coming over for the entitlement programs and for that sort of thing

You know, I was born here, and so was my wife and my two sons.

WHAT ENTITLEMENT PROGRAMS ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Because I would like to, you know, get some.

This from a man that once seriously considered taking his broken wrist across the border to Canada...
posted by Cool Papa Bell at 9:38 AM on August 12, 2010 [7 favorites]


I just figured it would take longer than a few minutes to change your mind from doubt to full-on woman bashing. Maybe I was wrong.

Amazing. People are getting their undies in a twist over a throw away post that has no merit or substance other than LOLtexasteabaggers. Were we supposed to seriously debate something here?
posted by spicynuts at 9:38 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


I don't get this "21 year" thing.

Well, I think there are two issues on the table which are being conflated by the right in order to make their point seem stronger.

The whole thing about the baby being a citizen and do you deport the mother and force a citizen out of the country... that is likely correct (although I don't have any real world evidence for how these matters are handled.)

But the other half, the part which gets confused into the whole conversation, is the idea that, by having these babies, the parents are then automatically eligible for government assistance, green cards, whatever it takes to keep them here. The fact is, the parents remain illegal immigrants (assuming that's how they got here), and as such have no access to any government money or programs until they can be given legal status, a process which cannot begin until after the child has turned 21 and is able to begin the petition process.

It's the lumping all this into one large ball which leads to confusion.
posted by hippybear at 9:40 AM on August 12, 2010 [7 favorites]


No matter how smokin' hot CNN's own anchor baby may be, this whole affair just makes me miss Aaron Brown all the more. AB probably wouldn't have given that nutjob a national forum for her flapping dentures in the first place -- which is exactly why he isn't on TV anymore.
posted by turducken at 9:40 AM on August 12, 2010


Over here in these parts 'low hanging' refers to the penis in that a big one would hang low. Not the sac. Who cares about a big sac?
posted by spicynuts at 12:09 PM on August 12 [+] [!]


Eponyscrotal?

Seriously, though, you've never heard the expression "he's got a pair of low-hangers?"
posted by me & my monkey at 9:43 AM on August 12, 2010


Mrs. Iselin: [at meal time] I'm sorry, hon'. Would it really make it easier for you if we settled on just one number?

Sen. John Yerkes Iselin: Yeah. Just one, real, simple number that'd be easy for me to remember.

[Mrs. Iselin watches her husband thump a bottle of Heinz Tomato Ketchup onto his plate]

Sen. John Yerkes Iselin: [addressing the Senate] There are exactly 57 card-carrying members of the Communist Party in the Department of Defense at this time!
posted by jnrussell at 9:45 AM on August 12, 2010 [4 favorites]


Politifact:"Having a child can also help an undocumented parent qualify for relief from deportation, but only 4,000 unauthorized immigrants can receive such status per year, and the alien has to have been in the U.S. for at least 10 years."
posted by dirigibleman at 9:46 AM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


wait a second, I think I know what's causing the confusion here.

Does Ms. Riddler think these people re *actual* aliens? Like from space? It would explain so much.
posted by The Whelk at 9:48 AM on August 12, 2010 [5 favorites]


Just 25 Americans Died As A Result Of Terrorism Last Year — Less Than Traffic Accidents, The Flu, Or Dog Bites.
posted by ericb at 9:48 AM on August 12, 2010 [4 favorites]


Politifact: "Having a child can also help an undocumented parent qualify for relief from deportation, but only 4,000 unauthorized immigrants can receive such status per year, and the alien has to have been in the U.S. for at least 10 years."

Bringing facts to a debate with this politician is like bringing a gun to a tickle fight.
posted by inigo2 at 9:51 AM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


Who cares about a big sac?

Teabaggers!
posted by ericb at 9:59 AM on August 12, 2010 [16 favorites]


--That people like that get into positions of power bothers me greatly.
posted by Mooski at 8:43 AM on August 12 [1 favorite +] [!]

--What is it with Texans at the voting booth, anyway? Is there some mind altering drink they have to take before they vote?

Apologies to all rational Texas voters. We know you're out there. Outvoted but out there.
posted by bearwife at 8:45 AM on August 12 [+] [!]

--Er, you know that there are nutjobs in the US House from all over the country. Singling out Texas is lazy and unfair.
posted by Burhanistan at 8:59 AM on August 12 [1 favorite +] [!]


I knew this was going to turn into LOL TEXANS SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED IN THE BALLOT BOX AMIRITE, so I did some homework.

Debbie Riddle "got into a position of power" pretty much as passively as Mooski put it. District 150 rep Paul Hilbert, who represented the district in suburban Houston (one of the most conservative parts of the state) from 1983-2002, died before the end of his term. Riddle ran unopposed in the special election to fill the seat.

She ran unopposed again in 2004.

In 2006, her opponent was Dot Nelson-Turnier, a political newcomer who was a) the first democrat to run for the seat since 1990, and b) openly gay. Riddle won with 70% of the vote.

In 2008, she ran against a Democrat, Brad Neal, who had five years of experience working in wastewater treatment plants and, at the time of the election, was working as a project manager for an oil/gas equipment company. He had no political experience and received 33% of the vote. There was also a Libertarian candidate in the race who received 2% of the vote. Here is his website.

The seat is up again in November. Bran Neal is running again. He appears not to have even a campaign website. His July 15 campaign filing with the Texas Ethics Commission reports that he has received $19.50 in total political contributions. During the first six months of the year, he had $1011.46 in campaign expenditures. Those expenditures included his $750 campaign filing fee with the Harris County Democratic Party. Other expenditures: business cards, cell phone minutes, checking account fees. (Read his full report.)

There's a Libertarian on the November ballot, too. Eric Holdt. He also has $0 in contributions, as well as $0 expenditures. No web presence.

The election is in 2-1/2 months.

Debbie Riddle and her ilk aren't elected because people support her, necessarily, although she certainly caters to them on some issues. (Anchor babies not likely being one of them.)

People like her "get into positions of power," and stay there, because of the extreme malaise, ineptitude, or decrepitude of the Texas Democratic Party. It does not provide viable candidates to people like her, and it doesn't throw even an ounce of support to people like Brad Neal who, while inexperienced, could probably be made an attractive alternative if someone would just provide the expertise and money to counter the fucking loony batshit Debbie Riddle.
posted by mudpuppie at 10:02 AM on August 12, 2010 [33 favorites]


Bringing facts to a debate with this politician anyone who makes arguments based on speculation and emotion alone is like bringing a gun to a tickle fight reality to Conservapedia.

By that, I mean some people will get a laugh out of the process, but no one will change their mind in the end. I hope that there are people who are on the fence about this, and Anderson Cooper swayed them back to reality, but I don't think they were watching CNN.
posted by filthy light thief at 10:03 AM on August 12, 2010


It's not cool to comment on someone's looks just because you disagree with them.

Let me explain.

It isn't simply that we "disagree with them". This women is hateful and ignorant - she spouts lies on television that would destroy many lives if people bought into them - that have in fact destroyed many lives already because people already have bought into them. If she were marginalized, it'd be one thing, but she's in fact an elected representative.

The whole thing is appalling, and many decent people such as myself want to believe that this person is not a person like ourselves. To comment on the strangeness of her appearance is to try to reassure ourselves that we aren't like this.

However, there's another point, and that's that this woman is objectively scary. Get an anthropology text and take a look at universal body signs that indicate rage or madness - this woman is possessed of all of them, the clenched jaw, staring eyes, the lot.

Honestly - turn off the sound and imagine you saw her speaking to a younger member of your family. I believe that you would instinctively run to protect your relative. And seeing people like this is extremely unusual. I had a landlord ten years ago who was like this - I honestly can't think of another example in my life.

So the other reason people are commenting about her appearance is that she appears to be dangerous based on her appearance alone. The fact that such a scary-looking person was elected says a lot of dreadful things about the electorate.

As another somewhat relevant example, let's take Cheney's trademark sneer. This is so pronounced that you'd almost believe he had a stroke, but there is no objective evidence for that claim. Commenting on that sneer is perfectly reasonable. Facial expressions do have meanings; to look at Cheney's sneer and try to read his attitude toward the world through it is completely logical.
posted by lupus_yonderboy at 10:03 AM on August 12, 2010 [16 favorites]


You know, I was born here, and so was my wife and my two sons.

WHAT ENTITLEMENT PROGRAMS ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Because I would like to, you know, get some.


62, man. Just hold on until you're 62. That's the Socialism Eligibility Age in the US.
posted by mr_roboto at 10:04 AM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


P.S.: If you really think Texans in that district are stupid and want to do something to have a positive effect, you can donate to Brad Neal's campaign here.
posted by mudpuppie at 10:05 AM on August 12, 2010


The only good thing about mocking a person's facial paralysis/issues is that it creates such a backlash that the mocker loses elections. And rightfully so.

I haven't actually seen the images. I dunno what her face is like or why. Unless she's literally working herself into foaming at the mouth from hatred, I don't care.
posted by Lemurrhea at 10:08 AM on August 12, 2010


Remember, folks -- the Constitution is a Sacred, divinely inspired document which must be held literally at all times, and defended in its most pure, absolute form, as written. Word for word. Except the part about brown-skinned people. That part got in there by accident and needs to be removed, because, obviously, the constitution is flawed because it was written by flawed people, and should be altered to suit the current times whenever necessary.
posted by Devils Rancher at 10:09 AM on August 12, 2010 [7 favorites]


ericb: "Who cares about a big sac?

Teabaggers!
"

Don't knock it until you've tried it.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 10:13 AM on August 12, 2010



People like her "get into positions of power," and stay there, because of the extreme malaise, ineptitude, or decrepitude of the Texas Democratic Party.


Thanks mudpuppie, for all the info. I'm thinking about donating to Neal, though I must admit I'm getting a little tired of making donations in non-Washington races. I'm already making them to try to remove some particularly crazy U.S. Congresspeople.

I will add that I obviously don't live in Texas but have friends there, and they too moan to me about the nuttiness not only of the state reps but also of local judges. It isn't the only state with issues, but there's clearly a problem.

Long ago I lived in Massachusetts and we had the problem of fairly unchecked corruption and laziness among state representatives (and some judges, too) due to the unchecked control of state politics by the Democratic party. It is never a good thing when there is only one strong party in a jurisdiction.
posted by bearwife at 10:14 AM on August 12, 2010


Don't knock it

Unless, you know, they're into that sort of thing.
posted by The Whelk at 10:14 AM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


Is the solution to deport the mother and leave the American citizen baby to fend for itself?

Yes. We leave them in the wilderness where they are raised by wolves. Just, you know, not these wolves.
posted by The Bellman at 10:14 AM on August 12, 2010


Here's the problem:

RIDDLE: Well, actually, I -- when your folks called me in the preliminary, that was part of the conversation. They did not tell me that you were going to grill me for this specific information that I was not ready to give to you tonight. They did not tell me that, sir.

COOPER: OK. OK.

Well, if you do have follow-up information, we would love to get it.


There will be no rise from the infantile idiocy of US public political debate until the media start seriously reporting and holding these people to account.

Time after time, we see the media giving out a free pass, when they stop only asking pre-arranged questions, when they refuse todrop legitimate questioning of politicians remarks, only then will the political landscape change.
posted by quarsan at 10:15 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


American citizen baby

Awesome name for a band.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 10:16 AM on August 12, 2010


So am I correct in thinking that the only anchor babies that this particular set of people have issues with are the brown ones? Because what about all the Canadian parents who have American born children. I don't see them being targeted or addressed in the same way.
posted by Fizz at 10:16 AM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


I grew up in Texas. Trust me, there are many intelligent and reasonable people there. They keep their mouths shut, because they know the batshitcrazies will come after them. There seems to me to be direct correlation between having a large evangelical protestant population and this crazy-vs-rational paradigm.

Also keep in mind that this is "news" because it is batshitinsane. Nobody will make an FPP of a politician on a news interview making a moderate, reasonable proposal about a genuine issue. Except maybe Al Franken, and that's only news because he is Al Franken.
posted by Xoebe at 10:16 AM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


Just want to drop a quick thanks to dirigibleman for his Politifact link. There's more real information in that one webpage about this issue than I've read in every MeFi thread about it combined. Great stuff; recommended reading.
posted by hippybear at 10:18 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


So am I correct in thinking that the only anchor babies that this particular set of people have issues with are the brown ones? Because what about all the Canadian parents who have American born children. I don't see them being targeted or addressed in the same way.

Jon Stewart made sure to point out that Jason Jones and Samantha Bee (both Canadians) were having their THIRD anchor baby. It's being joked about, but it's not being really addressed as part of this issue-as-political-football.
posted by hippybear at 10:20 AM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


The GOP has given up on the Hispanic vote. Their only option is to exclude as many Hispanics from the country of possible.
posted by Ironmouth at 10:21 AM on August 12, 2010 [9 favorites]


I was born to American parents in Canada, later moved to the US for ten years, then moved back to Canada...fuck, I did it wrong.

wait, no I didn't.
posted by TheWhiteSkull at 10:24 AM on August 12, 2010 [4 favorites]


Also keep in mind that this is "news" because it is batshitinsane.

Thought about adding the tag, but felt it was just shy of warranted. Like, maybe if she ate a baby on live TV. Or claimed to be carrying Anderson's.
posted by hermitosis at 10:26 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


mudpuppie, thanks for researching the facts for the rest of us, and for the donation link. My following links are less interesting now =)

More info: Here's the Texas Democrats 2010 candidates list, where you can donate to the Texas Dems, but not for any specific candidate.

If you want to contact him directly, here's his info on Vote-TX.org. Harris County Democratic Party lists different contact info, and again you can contribute to the HC Dems at large, but not to a particular candidate.

The Libertarian candidate for District 150 provides links related sites, including one to Neal's website, but www.votebradneal.com gets a 403 Forbidden message, and Archive.org doesn't have any old version.
posted by filthy light thief at 10:27 AM on August 12, 2010


"When the sun was fully up, the gunslinger moved on west." S.King
posted by JohnR at 10:32 AM on August 12, 2010


speaking of saline injections and "low-hanging fruit"/scrotal sacs, I'd just like to point out that there is a fetish out there that actually brings these two things together. No, I'm not posting a link to it.

I'm not sure how this contributes to the discussion here, but…wait, were we having a discussion about anything, anyway?
posted by LMGM at 10:32 AM on August 12, 2010


muddgirl: "She's actually a Texas State Representative. All our State Representative nutjobs unfortunately come from Texas. And even more unfortunately, all the sane ones are Anchor Baby sleeper agents."

Objection, assumes facts not in evidence. Namely, that we have any sane state House representatives in Texas.
posted by fireoyster at 10:33 AM on August 12, 2010


I was born in India, raised in Dallas, TX, and I'm now a Canadian Citizen. I have no plans to ever move back to the U.S.A. PEACE!
posted by Fizz at 10:35 AM on August 12, 2010


The empheror has no clothes, and I'm afraid the empheror who has no clothes is not listening!
posted by Dreamcast at 10:35 AM on August 12, 2010


mudpuppie: perhaps you didn't intend to, but it seems to me that you document a pretty clear case that democracy is terminally broken in Texas.

You're presenting a place in the world that's so broken that a head case like Ms. Riddler can run essentially unopposed for years. This "Texas Democratic Party" you are blaming - surely it is in fact made up of Texans?

Let's present a hypothetical. Suppose that the US had to decide whether to drop an atom bomb on Iran. Would you trust these voters to make a rational, considered decision involving millions of lives?
posted by lupus_yonderboy at 10:42 AM on August 12, 2010


The transcript is useful:
"According to the Pew Hispanic Center, 47 percent of illegal immigrant households are couples with kids. . ."
OK, any stats on what percentage of all households are couples with kids?
"But most of these people appear to be here for work and hope to remain here. So, who is, in the words of Senator Graham, dropping and leaving? Well, it turns out people who come here on tourist visas, wealthy couples from places like India, Turkey, Pakistan, China. . ."
posted by Herodios at 10:44 AM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


"Time after time, we see the media giving out a free pass, "

I don't see this as giving out a free pass. He asks the question three or four times because she keeps ducking it. She finally says that she doesn't have the answer. He tells her that he's going to follow up - and probably he will.
posted by lupus_yonderboy at 10:44 AM on August 12, 2010


The people who are spouting all of this "anchor baby" stuff seem like the same ones who only a few years ago were going on about "the Reconquista." So which is it? Do the Mexicans want to move to the US or do they want to move (large chunks of) the US to Mexico?
posted by TedW at 10:48 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


The Hottentot mongrel flood is back!
posted by homunculus at 10:55 AM on August 12, 2010


Señor, que pendeja.
posted by jquinby at 10:55 AM on August 12, 2010


You know you have to wait 21 years before the whole "anchor baby" plan can play out, right? Seems like an awful lot of planning for a border jumper.

Look, we're dealing with people who started planning to put a sleeper agent in the White House 45 years in advance! 21 years is nothing to them - especially when they can bring their kids up foreign schools where they won't be infused with american values. What's wrong with you people!!

On the other hand, I have a problem with both President Obama and Enchia on this issue. they keep using 'demagogue' as a verb, and it's starting to grate.
posted by anigbrowl at 10:56 AM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


MISTER_A DECLARES WAR ON DOG BITES!
posted by Mister_A at 10:57 AM on August 12, 2010


From the Think Progress link:

...recorded 32 reported incidents of dogs fatally killing humans last year.

FATAL KILL
posted by Mister_A at 10:59 AM on August 12, 2010 [4 favorites]


Two thoughts:

1) At first I was happy to see a journalist actually asking things like "So, you don't have any actual facts?" But then I realized how sad it was that seeing a journalist actually doing his job was cause for excitement. I also realized how sad it was that it takes someone as "out there" as Debbie Riddle or Orly Taitz before journalists actually do step up and ask that kind of question. One would think that in a format like this, verifying the claims of both interview subjects should be the primary job of the reporter -- even (or perhaps that should be especially) when the person is not visibly crazy.

2) More importantly, the Auto-tune the News people need to make a video from this clip; it's just too perfect for them. Maybe then I'll be able to get "Hide your kids; hide your wife" out of my head.
posted by Katrel at 11:01 AM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


Seriously, though, you've never heard the expression "he's got a pair of low-hangers?"

Nope.. Not in 40 years of swearing. Is that a regional Texas thing? I have heard the song "Do your balls hang low do they wobble to and fro..etc".
posted by spicynuts at 11:01 AM on August 12, 2010


OK here's the scenario: Let's say a woman without a visa (i.e., legal permission to be in the country) has a baby in America. The baby is automatically an American citizen. The mother is still in the country without a visa.

Is anyone suggesting that the American citizen be deported?

Is the solution to deport the mother and leave the American citizen baby to fend for itself?


First thing: if caught, the mother gets deported.

The other things that happen depend on the particulars.

One option is for the child to move with the mother. In that case, the child isn't being deported. The mother is being deported and is taking her child with her. I suppose there might be some very few cases where the child is not a citizen of the mother's country, in which case she couldn't take the kid.

Maybe the father is a US citizen or can otherwise stay in the US. In that case, the kid is welcome to stay with him as far as the US cares. Likewise, there might be other US-legal family who can act as guardians.

Or the parents can choose for the kid to stay in the US and enter the foster system.

This isn't hypothetical. Families really do face these choices as one or both parents are deported.

Having a child can also help an undocumented parent qualify for relief from deportation, but only 4,000 unauthorized immigrants can receive such status per year

To be clear, there is no program for undocumented parents of US citizen children.

There is a broader program that allows USCIS/ICE to permit up to 4000 people who were scheduled for deportation to stay in the US because their deportation would pose, I forget the wording, but it boils down to "a fucking huge tragedy" to a US-legal spouse/relative. "You'd have to move to Mexico to stay with your family" doesn't rise to that level. That 4000 limit is for any reason, not just deportable parents of US-citizen children.
posted by ROU_Xenophobe at 11:01 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


Yo, She-bitch, let's go.
posted by Shike at 11:04 AM on August 12, 2010


they keep using 'demagogue' as a verb, and it's starting to grate.

Demagoguers gonna demagogue.
posted by Combustible Edison Lighthouse at 11:14 AM on August 12, 2010


Men get Botox and plastic surgery too, muddgirl.

Oh, Sean Patrick Flannery, what have you done.
posted by adamdschneider at 11:19 AM on August 12, 2010


I think she is really a member of the Silly Party.
posted by govtdrone at 11:20 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


The people who are spouting all of this "anchor baby" stuff seem like the same ones who only a few years ago were going on about "the Reconquista."

I still think that "anchor baby" is the "welfare queen" of the 2010s. Probably the same people spouting the new phrase 35 years on. Always good to have a pithy description of a nebulous enemy.
posted by hippybear at 11:21 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


The GOP has given up on the Hispanic vote.

My guess on the more accurate characterization: the GOP are regretting that they allowed the conservo-tainment industry to hijack their agenda but don't have a goddamn clue how to fix it. They've lost a considerable chunk of their voter base over shit like this. Not that the GOP have really cared all that much about any non-Cuban minority, but they're showing signs of regretting that decision as well.
posted by middleclasstool at 11:21 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


Jeez, her face looks like a skull wrapped in skin. Like the 'faces of meth' woman with good makeup and a wig.

It kind of looks OK when you pause the video, but in motion it's just unnerving. I guess it's the result of excessive 'skin tightening' plastic surgery. It sure ain't natural.
posted by delmoi at 11:25 AM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


Who cares about a big sac?

AC/DC

The GOP has given up on the Hispanic vote. Their only option is to exclude as many Hispanics from the country of possible.

Or to make them afraid to vote.
posted by mrgrimm at 11:26 AM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


I couldn't watch it because she's leaning so far over (to the right, which of course only makes sense). I was afraid she was going to fall off her chair.
posted by mr_crash_davis mark II: Jazz Odyssey at 11:29 AM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


Ironmouth: The GOP has given up on the Hispanic vote. Their only option is to exclude as many Hispanics from the country of possible.

Yup, which is stupidly short-sighted at a moment where nearly four-in-five children of illegal immigrants are born in the U.S. and are therefore U.S. citizens.

As a child of Latino immigrants myself, I can tell you from experience that when these kids get to be voting age they are not going to forget moments like this. This is going to come back to bite the GOP in the ass, and it's going to bite them hard.
posted by joedan at 11:31 AM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


People like her "get into positions of power," and stay there, because of the extreme malaise, ineptitude, or decrepitude of the Texas Democratic Party.

That's not really true.

In the 2008 election, less than half of the 150 seats of the TX House had two-party competition; the other candidates were either totally unopposed or faced a libertarian sacrificial lamb. The lack of oppositions cuts across both parties.

There are two things likely going on here.

One is that the Texas House is just a horrible job. The pay is basically a token and there are endless special sessions (TX legislators have semi-sneaky ways of increasing their effective pay). It's one of those jobs that could be genuinely hard to recruit for.

The other thing is lingering remnants of a long-standing political culture throughout the (extended) south where political participation tended to be low, especially in regards to higher-level participation like running for office.

It does not provide viable candidates to people like her, and it doesn't throw even an ounce of support to people like Brad Neal who, while inexperienced, could probably be made an attractive alternative if someone would just provide the expertise and money to counter the fucking loony batshit Debbie Riddle.

In suburban Houston? I expect you could throw a million dollars behind Neal and he'd still get his ass roundly kicked.
posted by ROU_Xenophobe at 11:35 AM on August 12, 2010 [4 favorites]


They've lost a considerable chunk of their voter base over shit like this. Not that the GOP have really cared all that much about any non-Cuban minority, but they're showing signs of regretting that decision as well.

There was atime, not too long before the whole "illegals" thing exploded, where you could see Republican candidates trying to court the Hispanic vote (not just Cuban Americans). I remember this happening in NY, when George Pataki was first campaigning. I agree that in their zeal to get attention and throw the kitchen sink at the Democrats, they really screwed themselves on the Hispanic vote. So I have to agree that their only option right now is to give up on it, and hope that they can raise enough fear and outrage among their members to turn that blunder (if they even see it as a blunder, I'm not sure at this point) into something that will end up working for them.
posted by DrGirlfriend at 11:36 AM on August 12, 2010


Jeez, her face looks like a skull wrapped in skin. Like the 'faces of meth' woman with good makeup and a wig.

In Canada we call this look a "facelift".
posted by KokuRyu at 11:37 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


[blinks, looks around...] Wow, I'm actually here. Preview and everything. OK, total newbie. Lessee... um, got this here link that I remembered from when I lived in Austin for a long time and first encountered this lady. Written by two very fine writers who often worked as partners. Sadly, one of 'em is no longer with us.

Just wanted to say, Ms. Riddle's been peddlin' this stuff for a while, and the "Compassionate Conservatism" crew has long given its blessing to it:

Austin Chronicle link

Hope that is the right way to link something... never could understand that "HTML" stuff y'all whippersnappers use....
posted by hankercranker at 11:38 AM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


The USA seems to be choc-a-bloc full of frightened people.
posted by five fresh fish at 11:41 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


Seriously what difference does it make? What do her eyes/lips have to do with the content of what she is saying?

This is why liberals always lose arguments in the media, media including the intarwebs. This woman is clearly a whackjob, a crank, an agitator, a bigot, and has both the persistence, position, power, and ability to attempt to negatively affect the lives of thousands of people.

But for god's sake, don't make fun of her looks. That's just unfair.

Of course it's unfair, but why does anyone care if it is unfair? This lady is a horrible person, and should be criticized, chastised, humiliated, and scorned in any possible way, manner, form, and method. If making fun of her mangled face makes someone ELSE mock her, then by god I'm all for it.

You treat monsters like monsters. And this lady, and ALL OF HER ILK, are fucking monsters, and it's about goddamn time those who claim to uphold liberal and progressive ideals learn to ball up their fist and FIGHT.

I swear to the flying fucking spaghetti monster a bunch of people would come out of the woodwork all upset if people made fun of John Wayne Gacy for being fat.


First, I'll will say whatever I wish about whoever I wish and take the consequences, so kindly piss off.

That is an interesting sentiment, but wait until the metatalk thread. One person here has already thrown the sexism card at you. It shouldn't be long now.
posted by discountfortunecookie at 11:41 AM on August 12, 2010 [7 favorites]


Mmmmiiiissstteerrr..! Ann-derrr-ssssooonn..!.. ANNN-der-sssoonn!
posted by pyrex at 11:43 AM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


Just wanted to say, Ms. Riddle's been peddlin' this stuff for a while, and the "Compassionate Conservatism" crew has long given its blessing to it:

Maybe what they really meant by "Compassionate Conservativism" was that they were going to start showing more compassion to the mentally ill--specifically, by including them in their caucuses.
posted by saulgoodman at 11:49 AM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


Is the solution to deport the mother and leave the American citizen baby to fend for itself?

Well, no, the solution is to do nothing, which is what would happen if she didn't have the baby. Only about 2% of illegal immigrants are deported every year. If the mother did get deported somehow, she could give the child to relatives, or take him or her back with her, with the option to return later on.

The USA seems to be choc-a-bloc full of frightened people.

Xenophobia tends to rise in times of economic uncertainty. It's like clockwork. In fact, I would bet that a lot of the early anti-illegal stuff that came up in '07 and even '06 were related to the beginnings of the economic downturn.

It certainly is disgusting though.
posted by delmoi at 11:54 AM on August 12, 2010


Is anyone suggesting that the American citizen be deported?

Is the solution to deport the mother and leave the American citizen baby to fend for itself?



Here's an old case from 2007. The folks arguing against the 14th amendment or about anchor babies really do wish for the American Citizen Child to be deported and denied citizenship. Or separate the influence of the parent and raise the child as an American in government care. That sure worked for the Native Americans a hundred years ago.
posted by Stynxno at 12:00 PM on August 12, 2010


I think those who expect people to *not* comment about someone's unusual appearance, especially when that someone is seeking attention, are bound to be disappointed. It's an unreasonable expectation.
posted by five fresh fish at 12:05 PM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


That is an interesting sentiment, but wait until the metatalk thread. One person here has already thrown the sexism card at you. It shouldn't be long now.

Wait I know this one....and after the metatalk thread...the ORAL SEX!!!
posted by spicynuts at 12:07 PM on August 12, 2010


Who cares about a big sac?

A good tailor?
posted by horsewithnoname at 12:12 PM on August 12, 2010 [4 favorites]


What's the opposite of eponysterical? --The Bellman

n'eponysterical pas?
posted by Fezboy! at 12:18 PM on August 12, 2010


"Well, at this point, I don't have the hard evidence right here in front of me. Because, I had no idea when I was getting ready for this interview that we might be talking about what evidence I might be able to provide to these outlandish claims we have been making..."
- 2010


(from wikipedia, pardon me) "[h]owever, it is generally agreed that he produced a piece of paper that he claimed contained a list of known Communists working for the State Department. McCarthy is usually quoted to have said: "The State Department is infested with communists. I have here in my hand a list of 205—a list of names that were made known to the Secretary of State as being members of the Communist Party and who nevertheless are still working and shaping policy in the State Department."



They are working very hard to create the evidence, forming think tanks that sound official, getting the data embedded into news articles to cite, all to create the illusion of reality, while they work to manipulate the machinery to gain themselves favor with the electorate and change the laws so they can maintain their fear and hatred. How soon they forget what history has taught us.
posted by daq at 12:18 PM on August 12, 2010


Free education coming from the "pit of hell" is just the beginning with this woman...
posted by bitter-girl.com at 12:20 PM on August 12, 2010


Wow.

I see GOP VP potential in her future!
posted by markkraft at 12:32 PM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


I figure Linda McMahon has VP locked.
posted by Splunge at 12:43 PM on August 12, 2010


You know, I really miss Molly Ivins. I just realized how very much I would like to read her take on all this.
posted by Katrel at 12:45 PM on August 12, 2010 [10 favorites]


From the Think Progress link:

...recorded 32 reported incidents of dogs fatally killing humans last year.

FATAL KILL


I think you mean ANIMALITY!
posted by WinnipegDragon at 12:50 PM on August 12, 2010 [4 favorites]


There's got to be some kind of direct correlation of size of the US flag pin to the level of crazy. Rep Riddle appears to be holding steady at "shithouse rat,"aka Brown alert level.
posted by jamaro at 12:59 PM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


Yeah, people like this get re-elected in some districts in California and other states too. When you've carved up your districts just right, some people end up with no opposition other than maybe a primary fight, and who pays attention to state legislature primary fights? (well, I would if there ever was one in my district, but I've never seen any serious primary challengers to my state or national reps in my 80+% Democratic voting district).
posted by wildcrdj at 1:00 PM on August 12, 2010


I tried to say this about the crazy woman who assaulted a McDonald's employee over the menu, but that thread got killed, so I guess I'll get a chance to use it here:

Man, white people be buggin'.
posted by grubi at 1:04 PM on August 12, 2010 [6 favorites]


There's got to be some kind of direct correlation of size of the US flag pin to the level of crazy.

Riddle is not wearing a US flag pin. She is wearing a shield that protects her from logic.
posted by flarbuse at 1:13 PM on August 12, 2010 [6 favorites]


Debbie Riddle raises question evasion and putting words into her interviewer's mouth to a sublime, absurdist art form.

COOPER: What former FBI officials -- I mean, what evidence is there of some sort of long-term plot to have American babies born here and then become terrorists -- raised as terrorists overseas and then come back here?

...

COOPER: But you have no actual evidence?

...

COOPER: Can you tell us who these former FBI folks are, and what evidence they have or what evidence they have shown you?

...

COOPER: But -- but they haven't told you any actual evidence, right? So, some former FBI -- you say some former FBI agents have talked to your office. Have they given your office actual facts or proof?

RIDDLE: That information, we are still gathering.

But the point that I think you are trying to make is about folks coming over here, having their babies when they are not here legally, or they might have overstayed their visa, whether they are coming from south of the border or whether they're coming from Middle Eastern countries.


That's no answer, that's a punchline.
posted by Spatch at 1:24 PM on August 12, 2010


And, quite frankly, it is altogether possible to make a dirty bomb, stick it in a suitcase, walk it across our southern border, and take it to downtown Houston or any other city, and blow it up, and kill a million or more folks.

Uh, I suspect immigrants are too busy trying to make a living wage for this kind of activity.
posted by hot_monster at 1:37 PM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


> mudpuppie: perhaps you didn't intend to, but it seems to me that you document a pretty clear case that democracy is terminally broken in Texas.

The case I'm making is that the Democratic Party in Texas is broken (though hopefully not terminally). Democracy is suffering as a result (again, hopefully temporarily).

You're presenting a place in the world that's so broken that a head case like Ms. Riddler can run essentially unopposed for years. This "Texas Democratic Party" you are blaming - surely it is in fact made up of Texans?

Of course it is. That's beside the point. There's a long dissertation to be written on the history of the rise and fall of the Democratic Party in Texas. I'm not about to make it myself.

My first job out of college put me in the position of getting to know (or at least getting to listen to) a lot of old Texas Democrats, including some who served as elected and appointed officials. Based on what I know of their opinions (and based on my own as a liberal Texas native), I feel comfortable asserting that there is pretty widespread agreement that the party is totally ineffective. It's a conservative state, yes, and electing Democrats -- or hell, let's just make it non-specific, and say electing non-Republicans -- is an uphill battle. But that doesn't mean it can't be done, and that doesn't mean that the D party shouldn't try. But right now, their efforts at accomplishing this admittedly difficult task are laughable even to the people who used to be loyal to the Texas Dems.

Let's present a hypothetical. Suppose that the US had to decide whether to drop an atom bomb on Iran. Would you trust these voters to make a rational, considered decision involving millions of lives?

Are we talking about your example, verbatim, as typed? Then fuck yes I would. Look, I grew up in rural/suburban Texas. I grew up gay in rural/suburban Texas. My family was conservative. My family is still conservative. These are the people I grew up with. Currently, I don't think there's a single Big Political Issue where my beliefs align with theirs. But I also know that they're not bad people, and they're not stupid. If the November ballot included a line that said
Referendum: To drop an atom bomb on Iran. Effective November 3, 2010
[ ] Yes
[ ] No
I'd trust them to vote No. Because what you're talking about is crazy.

People like this woman who spouts nonsense about anchor babies are outliers. They maybe live in one house on the block, but they don't make up the whole neighborhood. And they get the press, because they make for great news clips. But they don't make up Texas (or Minnesota, or Nebraska, or wherever), and they don't make up the electorate. They get elected for positions on taxes and abortion and stuff like that -- issues that resonate with both Republicanand Democratic voters -- not because of their wacky positions on infant sleeper cells. (In a perfect world, they'd NOT be elected because of their wacky positions on infant sleeper cells, but that's not how elections work. All politics is personal, etc., except for the stuff that doesn't apply to me.)

The Democratic Party could field a candidate in that race, and other races who was moderate-to-conservative on the issues that matter to people in a personal way -- moderate-to-conservative like pretty much all the other Democrats who serve in the Texas House.

The two-party system sucks, but it's what we've got right now. And when one of the parties is broken, how can you expect democracy to function? It's not functioning properly -- you're right. Because voters don't have a viable, appealing alternative to freakshow incumbents, and that's because the party doesn't work hard enough to make it happen.

In suburban Houston? I expect you could throw a million dollars behind Neal and he'd still get his ass roundly kicked.
posted by ROU_Xenophobe at 11:35 AM on August 12 [2 favorites +] [!]


I don't disagree. Neal would get his ass roundly kicked. But I'm certain that somewhere outside of Harris County there is a Democrat (or Independent, or whatever) who is willing to run for that shitty job (which pays less than $10,000 a year), and who would appeal to small-c conservative voters, and who voters would actually think was a refreshing change from someone who proves herself loony on cable news. But what is the party doing to look for such a candidate?

You've kind of proven my point. "She's a Republican, so why bother opposing her?" I think that's bullshit (not coming from you, but coming from the Texas Dems), and that's the kernel of my complaint.

I miss Molly Ivins. :(
posted by mudpuppie at 1:40 PM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


I'll admit it. I want to know what the deal is with her facial behavior. She looks and behaves in a way that is noticeably different than many people in the public spotlight. I am trying to understand where she is coming from. Is she a person that has struggled with a disability, an illness, or something that has caused her pain and suffering...and possibly the need for necessary reconstructive surgery? Does she know that reality and all it entails? Or is she a person that has been blessed with financial privilege (for whatever reason), affording her the choice of an elective and costly surgery to improve her perception of herself, as she sees fit? Does she know that reality and all it entails?

Sure, it's none of my business and I don't *need* to know. But it gives me some context for interpreting her statements and trying to understand them. And how to best respond in a way that she, or someone who believes in what she says, can relate to.
posted by iamkimiam at 1:48 PM on August 12, 2010


Get short, timely messages from Debbie Riddle:

http://twitter.com/debbieriddle
posted by R. Mutt at 1:58 PM on August 12, 2010


How terrorist get citizenshaip?
posted by stonepharisee at 2:00 PM on August 12, 2010


She mentioned this information came to her from "former FBI agents" -- uh huh.

WHY are they no longer working for the FBI, I wonder? Could it have anything to do with, oh I don't know, coming up with insane and impossible terrorism plots? Maybe?
posted by mooncrow at 2:14 PM on August 12, 2010


Uh, I suspect immigrants are too busy trying to make a living wage for this kind of activity.

It's not that immigrants are too busy to put a dirty bomb in a suitcase and kill a million people.

It's that it's more or less physically impossible to build a dirty bomb -- a normal bomb with some manner of radioactive shrapnel -- that will kill a million people. The very nature of a dirty bomb means that they're not particularly more dangerous than a "normal" bomb. Only scarier.

You've kind of proven my point. "She's a Republican, so why bother opposing her?"

For sure, you always want to have some real candidate for every race. For one thing, having a real Democrat in a race like that makes it harder for J. Random Crazypants to enter the Democratic primary, win unopposed, and then publicly pledge his support for Kim Jong Il. For another, even if the candidate has no realistic odds of winning, there's always a chance that some scandal will swallow the incumbent (viz Tim Mahoney's single-term House career after the Mark Foley thing), or the incumbent might simply die.
posted by ROU_Xenophobe at 2:24 PM on August 12, 2010


But I strongly support J. Random Crazypants's "A Mule On Every Veranda" initiative.....
posted by BitterOldPunk at 2:28 PM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


fuck, that flag pin is some serious crazy wingnut bling
posted by angrycat at 2:30 PM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


I miss Molly Ivins. :(

Boy howdy. Me too.
posted by Devils Rancher at 2:51 PM on August 12, 2010


I wish to respectfully disagree with ROU_Xenophobe, above. The problem is *not* that Texas Lege Critters are adept at arranging special sessions. They avoid them like the plague.

The problem, simply stated (Occam's Razor, people...) is that the Lege, and the government of the state as a whole, is purposely structured to irresponsibly avoid responsibility.

The Lege, under the Texas Constitution, may only meet once every "bi-ennium," barring the special sessions referred to, and when they meet (in odd-numbered years, from January through the end of June, roughly) they can only meet for 180 calendar days.

This enshrines the Holy Texas Shibboleth: "Bidniss iz Gud, Gummint iz Bay-ud." This has a doubly good effect, as far as the good ol' boys are concerned: Not only does it keep them Dam Fedruhl Effectives from messin' with Texas (the original motive behind the post-War-of-Northern-Aggression Founders' intent, after them Carpetbaggin', Occupyin' Fedruhl Effectives let Texans have their Freedums back after 1870, when Texans finally let word leak to their slaves that they were, as rumored, free), but it makes damn sure that the folks who comprise the Lege can support themselves without dependin' on that there Gummint salary, as they iz all Bidness-men and Ladies and all rich-type like them J.R.'s of this here world, what we should admire, instead o' them there Noo Yorcans makin' fun of 'em and all.

Wanna run against Riddle? Not only do you need the cash up front to beat her, and to keep your legs from getting broken, you need the nice, cush career that lets you take six months (or more) off every two years. And that's how it should be. We need to be ruled by our Betters, like J.R. [removes hat].

God Bless Texas. I miss Molly, too, dammit.
posted by hankercranker at 3:14 PM on August 12, 2010 [6 favorites]



166[blinks, looks around...] Wow, I'm actually here. Preview and everything. OK, total newbie.


Welcome, hankercrank! Love the Ivins link. (Joins the chorus of Molly missers.) Love the way you write. Two comments so far and they are both great -- you're also batting 1.000.

It is wonderful to meet you, sir.
posted by bearwife at 3:40 PM on August 12, 2010


Wow. How do these people get elected?

Can you name any of your state reps without looking them up? That's how.
posted by lumpenprole at 3:44 PM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


fair enough, but I do know Tom Ammiano and Mark Leno (b/c my state senators are cooler than your state senators. nyaaah!)
posted by mrgrimm at 3:48 PM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


Can you name any of your state reps without looking them up?

Seriously? Yes! I can also name the credible candidates running for our district's currently vacant state rep and state senate seats. It isn't just me -- we recently went to a "meet your neighbors" block party and we chatted with some of the people we met, who had noticed a campaign sign for a different office in our front yard, about the candidates in those races and some others.
posted by bearwife at 4:23 PM on August 12, 2010


Seriously? Yes! I can also name the credible candidates running for our district's currently vacant state rep and state senate seats.

Ah, but the fact is you can name all the credible candidates whose advertising/canvassing budget was big enough that their names got into your brains. Which means that in your district a) you have people running for house and senate who are individually able to support their campaign costs, and/or have friends with the time and expertise to campaign for them, or b) the parties have vetted and put candidates forward, and have supported them at least up to a point.

Again going back to Debbie Riddle, the Democratic Party's inaction is at least partly to blame for the fact that she's still in office.
posted by mudpuppie at 4:29 PM on August 12, 2010


Okay, well I wasn't trying to be super snarky, because I sure as hell can't. I feel like I'm part of the problem.
posted by lumpenprole at 4:29 PM on August 12, 2010


This is the season for horrifyingly earnest nutjobs who can't handle interviews to try get into elected office. Sharron Angle comes to mind immediately (running for Senate in NV vs current majority leader Harry Reid). She has that facial rictus as well, like she just wants to lunge out at you but decorum demands that she KEEP THAT SHIT UNDER LOCKS. The perma-smile is not only insincere, but I'm sure it also gives cancer to babies, puppies, baby sloths, and anything else good and nurmable. It is the white phosphorous of facial expressions.
posted by wowbobwow at 4:31 PM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


Well, the Significant Legislation section of that Pit_of_hell_speech wikipedia article Astro Zombie linked to up top indicates "She is also a member of the Boner Commission," which would seem the misnomer of the century, or at least raise it's own questions. I'm giving serious thoughts to becoming an expat - this country just seems to be more & more a haven for the batshit insane.

Saturday we've got a bunch of Nazis from Detroit from detroit to protest the immigration law in Arizona, presumably to promote similar laws here in Tennessee. Regardless of what sympathy I may have for immigration reform, I hate Nazis. Anyone got a clown suit they can fax me?
posted by Pressed Rat at 5:08 PM on August 12, 2010


Over here in these parts 'low hanging' refers to the penis in that a big one would hang low. Not the sac. Who cares about a big sac?

i really really love low hanging balls--and a big sac. i could link to some sites
posted by PinkMoose at 5:20 PM on August 12, 2010


The empheror has no clothes, and I'm afraid the empheror who has no clothes is not listening!
posted by Dreamcast at 10:35 AM on August 12 [+] [!]


That's about as long as I could stand it, and mostly it was while I had it on a different tab in the background. Forget her face, and the terror response (and backlash) it provokes, as hermitosis pointed out, folks, she's got the crazy eyes. It stands out even more when they have the split screen with her and Anderson Cooper. Just a still shot of the two of them next to each other should be used in facial recognition training:

"All right, class, let's look at the next slide. Which one of these two is most likely to go batshit insane and lash out violently?
posted by Ghidorah at 5:47 PM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


The Lege, under the Texas Constitution, may only meet once every ‘bi-ennium,’ barring the special sessions referred to, and when they meet (in odd-numbered years, from January through the end of June, roughly) they can only meet for 180 calendar days.

That actually sounds like it could potentially be awesome... is there any statute that actually outlaws forming a second legislature to serve during the other 185 days? Because you should totally do that.

Instead of calling the directing legislator "Speaker" you should call them "Antipope".
posted by XMLicious at 5:51 PM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


lumpenprole: I think more people should pay attention to that sort of thing, definitely!

As for my state reps: Sam Hunt (who I recognize because he came to a protest a few blocks from my house) and Brendan Williams (stepping down; there's actually an interesting race for that one, altho it's mostly between several stripes of Democrats. I've been procrastinating filling out my mail-in ballot because I want to be sure about my choice for Williams's replacement.)
posted by epersonae at 5:54 PM on August 12, 2010


The thing about Riddle's mouth was bugging me, too, but after much introspection it's come to me: she looks exactly like the Spittin' Image Ronald Reagan puppet from Genesis' Land of Confusion video.
posted by Graygorey at 6:23 PM on August 12, 2010


Thank you, bearwife, ma'am. Mighty kindly of you to be so nice to a raw rookie. Just gettin' wet, I am, and still worried about how I look (or don't) in the suit.

And you have a great idea there, XMLicious. Were I still in the Cursed Pile of Planks north of the UT Campus, I would hire caterers and we would feast and rule with impunity as the Anti-Lege, and we would happily put a plaque outside the joint anointing the Humble Dump before All Hyde Park as «Chez Avignon, maison de l'anti-lêge!»

Vive la Texas libre, mes enfants! The Goddess of Liberty is more that just papier-mâché!
posted by hankercranker at 6:27 PM on August 12, 2010


I think she has been pithed.
posted by five fresh fish at 7:04 PM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


It's most likely a lot of inferior botox treatments done at the local plastic surgeon.
posted by Burhanistan at 7:11 PM on August 12, 2010


This clip seems to demonstrate that U.S. journalists have lost the ability to interview effectively. Note that even Anderson Cooper, competent by domestic standards, steps on his own questions: "What about X? What about Y? What about Z?"

This enables the interviewee to easily sidestep: "Yes, that raises the issue of A..."

Too bad Cooper et al. won't ask a precise yes or no question, and then badger for an answer: "You said X a moment ago, which is factually incorrect. Do you know that X is factually incorrect?"

All this, of course, is just a reflection of the fact that that in political journalism, there is no such thing as evidence-boundfact, merely the opinion of Mr. Pink on Topic T vs. the opinion of Mr. White on Topic T.

Also, judging by the lunacy of this woman, the Overton Window for the 2010 elections has now been opened so wide as to accommodate Infinite Space.
posted by darth_tedious at 7:52 PM on August 12, 2010 [2 favorites]


I finally got to watching it (hence the pithed comment). Cooper sucked balls at that interview. Perfect opportunity to ask hard, driving questions. And he doesn't. Let's her bamboozle him. It's really quite pathetic.

American "news" is godawful.
posted by five fresh fish at 9:20 PM on August 12, 2010


The first American news program to hire a hard-hitting British bulldog interviewer will do well.
posted by five fresh fish at 9:22 PM on August 12, 2010 [3 favorites]


i really really love low hanging balls--and a big sac. i could link to some sites
posted by PinkMoose at 8:20 PM on August 12 [+] [!]


Some threads, everything just seems eponysterical....
posted by Skygazer at 10:07 PM on August 12, 2010


2) More importantly, the Auto-tune the News people need to make a video from this clip; it's just too perfect for them. Maybe then I'll be able to get "Hide your kids; hide your wife" out of my head.
posted by Katrel at 2:01 PM on August 12 [3 favorites +] [!]


Total derail, but you know that scene in Star Trek II where Khan sticks that big awful worm in Chekov's ear? That's how I feel about you right now. I read your post at about 4 PM and had seen the original news clip but not the autotune video and decided to google it and it's now 2 AM and I can't get to sleep and I'm trying to get rid of that song like a bad case of the hiccups that you wonder if they'll ever end and you start thinking what's the longest someone's ever had a song stuck in their head.

We gon' find you....
posted by Challahtronix at 11:01 PM on August 12, 2010 [1 favorite]


Cooper just had some other lunatic Congressman shouting at him nonstop on the same subject. He kept his cool & the guy came across as completely psychotic, but in his attempt to be fair he totally lost control of his own show.
posted by scalefree at 12:01 AM on August 13, 2010


How is babby anchored?? How terrorist get citzenshaip?

They need to de port inlaegal mother> who anchor thier babbys. becuse these babby will frigth back?
it was on the news this mroing a mother in tx who had terrorist her three kids . they are taking the three babby back to guamatamato too water to board my pary are with the FBI agent who cant porduce his evedince ; i am truley sorry for your lots
posted by No-sword at 1:37 AM on August 13, 2010 [3 favorites]


In some parts of the US, the only criterion many voters base their decision on is abortion. If one candidate is pro-life and the other is pro-choice, nothing else matters. The crazy as a loon candidate with no experience or qualifications will get their vote.
posted by Daddy-O at 6:52 AM on August 13, 2010


I watched the AC interview with Rep. Gohmert last night and was possibly more freaked out by that than by the interview with Rep. Riddle. Holy fuck the crazy is thick amongst proponents of this particular "issue." While we can debate whether he lost control of his show, he certainly won the issue by letting that rantypants freak run his high-volume shit pipe all over his show. It was ugly and dirty and stank but nothing better demonstrates just how crazy these fucktards are than playing out rope while they tie intricate nooses around their necks IMO. By European standards it is pretty subtle, but effect is damning when done properly.

I have a new-found respect for Anderson Cooper who seemed a bit of a pretty face to me previously. A network staffed with anchors of his ilk would be worth watching.
posted by Fezboy! at 7:07 AM on August 13, 2010 [1 favorite]


you start thinking what's the longest someone's ever had a song stuck in their head.

Have you heard, about the bird?
posted by quin at 7:08 AM on August 13, 2010 [1 favorite]


Video of said interview with Rep. Gohmert.
posted by Fezboy! at 7:11 AM on August 13, 2010


More on Gohmert: Contradicting FBI Information, Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert Insists ‘Terror Babies’ Exist.
posted by ericb at 8:31 AM on August 13, 2010


you start thinking what's the longest someone's ever had a song stuck in their head

I've probably mentioned this before, but I once had Joe Walsh's "Life's Been Good" stuck in my head for about 9 years. Just humming the bass line verse intro (bum bum bum bum) will now send my wife into a rage.

To be honest, I'm not sure what killed it other than a steely determination to block out all thoughts of it (i.e. The Game). I have won for now, but it never stops beckoning ...

(Cooper, Gohmert debate "terror babies" makes me laugh much more than it should. Why the fuck does CNN care about Texas state senators?!)
posted by mrgrimm at 8:55 AM on August 13, 2010


Jesus, how does a 60-year-old man still sound like that?
posted by uncleozzy at 9:14 AM on August 13, 2010


Related: Florida State House candidate Marg Baker wants to put undocumented immigrants in concentration camps.
posted by EarBucket at 9:25 AM on August 13, 2010


Is she unaware that we already have facilities for holding undocumented immigrants? It would probably make her really happy to know that they receive appalling medical care (sometimes none! Even for a broken spine and cancer!).
posted by rtha at 9:39 AM on August 13, 2010


> Related: Florida State House candidate Marg Baker wants to put undocumented immigrants in concentration camps.

Silly lady. Doesn't she know that if you lock them up they'll just keep having anchor baby after anchor baby until they can stand on a pile of anchor babies and easily climb over the wall?
posted by Burhanistan at 9:48 AM on August 13, 2010 [4 favorites]


Well a strong backbone is the cornerstone of America! If they can;t be bothered to build up their character then they don't belong here!
posted by The Whelk at 9:54 AM on August 13, 2010


Video of said interview with Rep. Gohmert.

Sweet jesus. He's a gibbering, barking madman. I'm not sure whether to laugh or to be severely afraid. Time to hunt up his district and see if the Dems are the least bit alive there. He's gotta go.
posted by Devils Rancher at 9:58 AM on August 13, 2010


> Time to hunt up his district and see if the Dems are the least bit alive there. He's gotta go.

His district is behind the Pine Curtain, so I'm not sure there's much to be done there, unfortunately. More the strategy would be to mitigate his influence.
posted by Burhanistan at 10:24 AM on August 13, 2010


Illegal immigrants’ babies 8% of newborns.
posted by ericb at 10:34 AM on August 13, 2010


I really wish Anderson would have asked him why they need to wait 20 years so their bomber can have a US passport when we let people in on tourist visas all the time. There is no need to plot 20 years in the future to get someone through our security.

When the idiot asks him, "Do you think the terrorists are stupid?" the answer is "No, which is why I know they wouldn't try this retarded idea. It's a waste of resources when their desire to strike us could be over by then, or all the leaders could have been killed by the US by then, and there are a million easier ways to launch an attack."
posted by furiousxgeorge at 11:03 AM on August 13, 2010


Every single American should bow their heads in goddamned fucking shame. How could such an ignorant person be elected to office? How can our society allow for the millions of ignorant voters necessary for this person to win an election in the first place?
posted by Civil_Disobedient at 11:50 AM on August 13, 2010


Illegal immigrants' babies 8% of newborns.

"Because some of these children have one parent who is a legal resident, the Pew study does not bolster the argument to change the 14th Amendment, said the Immigration Policy Center, a Washington-based organization that opposes Graham's initiative."
posted by mrgrimm at 12:00 PM on August 13, 2010 [1 favorite]


Every single American should bow their heads in goddamned fucking shame. How could such an ignorant person be elected to office? How can our society allow for the millions of ignorant voters necessary for this person to win an election in the first place?

Debbie Riddle represents Texas House of Representatives District 150. (info page with map)

It has a population of ~140,000.

That's a far cry from millions of ignorant voters.
posted by hippybear at 2:48 PM on August 13, 2010


Riddle won her last election 43,896 to 22,843.
posted by EarBucket at 3:02 PM on August 13, 2010


The scary thing is that she's probably in a safe enough district that revealing herself to be a lunatic on live national television isn't going to hurt her this November.
posted by EarBucket at 3:03 PM on August 13, 2010


Jesus, how does a 60-year-old man still sound like that?

I just lost the game.
posted by mrgrimm at 3:12 PM on August 13, 2010 [1 favorite]


The Houston Chronicle is finally on this one. Article and spreadsheet with figures here.

"The Chronicle asked the Harris County Hospital District, which runs LBJ, for its birth statistics. For the year that ended Feb. 28, 63.33 percent of deliveries at LBJ were babies born to undocumented immigrant women. That's up from 59 percent the year before and down from 71 percent in the year that ended Feb. 28, 2008."
posted by Houstonian at 6:39 AM on August 15, 2010


« Older Using its College Results Online database, The Edu...  |  World War II was a time that c... Newer »


This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments