Who Killed Alberta Williams?
November 27, 2016 2:28 PM   Subscribe

Missing & Murdered: Who Killed Alberta Williams? is an 8-part podcast series from the CBC investigating the murder of Alberta Williams.

Alberta's body was found in 1989 along the infamous Highway of Tears, known for numerous disappearances and murders of aboriginal women. The podcast host, Connie Walker, is herself an indigenous woman and takes the time to explore the impact of these crimes on communities like hers. She started researching this story after the lead police investigator contacted her with a short email directly accusing one of the suspects. What was originally intended to be a short tv new story is now an eight-part podcast series after Connie Walker was able to talk to multiple witnesses who never spoke to the police at the time. Currently five episodes have been released.

Previously on Metafilter: Connie Walker's work at the CBC on a MMIW database, the Highway of Tears.
posted by carolr (4 comments total) 41 users marked this as a favorite

Finding this fascinating (especially since the prime suspect lives in my hometown and they visit it). I'm really happy the CBC is starting to tackle more race issues in their podcasts. There is this and there is the The Code which I haven't listened to but I believe also features a first nations host I think . The disgusting level of racism and treatment that still happens to our first nations peoples is a national tragedy (especially since most white people are clueless that the residential schools were open in my town until 1996..which I learned nothing about going to school at the same time) and the more it is brought the forefront the better. White people are taught all this happened in the past and that it was something our very very distant ancestors did. I really admired the way as well she goes into the generational trauma that being ripped from their families and forced into schools has affected first nation communities. The highlighting of how traumatic it is to report their abuse and to be believed by the government in order to get reparations was something I hadn't thought of. I cried at the stories of elders who were speaking about their abuse and had to do in detail for the first time to prove their abuse.
posted by kanata at 3:34 PM on November 27, 2016 [1 favorite]

Seems like an interesting case. Thanks for the link.
posted by jonmc at 8:05 PM on November 27, 2016

I'm only three episodes in, and I do tend to like true crime kind of stuff, but maybe it's just these times we've living in now, but... this is extraordinarily difficult to listen to. In a way, I should say, that reflects very well on the people who worked on this story. Walker especially, who walks the line between being a journalist and actually caring about the people she's speaking with in a much closer way than most.
posted by Sequence at 11:14 PM on November 27, 2016

Just started this today because of your link... thank you!
posted by cluebucket at 6:32 PM on November 30, 2016

« Older We're digging a hole   |   overwhelmed by all the ancient color Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments