Here's a list of MeFites who have stuff they make and sell online. If you're shopping anyway, check out the stuff your fellow MeFites have available. If you're a MetaFilter member with stuff for sale, you can submit your shop. There's more info in MetaTalk.
Photography, Prints and Calendars
- mikepop: Posters, stickers, notebooks, socks (soon!) and other such things. I've taken a lot of my drawings and uploaded them (to Redbubble) so you can buy them on stuff. I'll be updating the shop soon with more and seasonal items. (If you want a drawing that's not in the shop, let me know and I'll add it)
- moonmilk: Farm to Scanner: I have no idea how I got these veggies wedged into my scanner, or why. Beautiful images of fresh produce from the New York City Greenmarkets, made on a desktop scanner! Featured on metafilter 11 years ago and everyone hated it then, but I finally got around to making a shop and honestly it's really good: society6.com/farmtoscanner. Mostly art prints, but you can also get a few things like pillows and phone cases. If there are any images or society6 products you want but don't see in the store, let me know.
- ancillary: It's often the case that the .h264-encoded video vignettes of one's life, those moving memories recorded and tucked away on mobile phones everywhere, wonder wistfully what fate awaits them. Thankfully, FlipClips exist specifically to alleviate the melancholy felt by these forgotten digital video files, thrust aside by their jpeg brethren who are gleefully t-shirted, postage-stamped, and photo-mugged/booked/pooped. In a beautifully hand-crafted, perfect-bound paper flipbook, these personal video files can live forever, batteries not required. 15% off with coupon code mefi15.
- millipede: http://www.ArtPal.com/artbylpd Prints and originals of my artwork
- gac: Unique fine-art prints, crafts, and zines from Philadelphia artists (including metafilter's own gac) at regarding.com
- brainwane: Hi, I'm Sumana Harihareswara and I run Changeset Consulting, providing short-term project management and related services for free/open source software projects. Give a gift to a friend who runs a hobby software project -- buy a few hours of my time and I'll rewrite documentation, clean out the bug tracker, respond to pull requests, or otherwise lighten their load. Say you're a MeFite and I'll knock the price down. (Free initial consultations available to anyone.)
- ananci: I'm an experienced freelance business consultant who can help you with new business set up, marketing and sales, growth strategies, financial analysis, contract review, and / or research. I have some openings for new clients! I've worked with Mefites before, and really enjoy serving this community.
- Violet Blue: I am a professional writer, editor, speechwriter and researcher who provides cross-sector communications consulting services. I help authors, small businesses, company founders and CEOs, advocates and other individuals tell persuasive stories that resonate. If you, or someone you know, needs help with a manuscript, proposal, speech, article, bio, or any of several other formats and genres, give me a holler. I offer a 10% discount to friends from the green.
Etsy, Crafts and Jewelry
- terrapin: Gage Hill Crafts sells knitting kits and patterns, yarn, and natural skincare products for makers. All of our products are sourced and made in Vermont.
- jenjenc: I make hand-cut ornaments out of beautiful hardwood on my scroll saw. I have lots of options for both people and pets! You pick the shape, the wood, the name/year, and on many of them, the color of rhinestone crystal embellishment. New this year, you can order directly from my website, Moonchildwoodcraft.com. Click on the red banner to shop, and enter the code "Metafilter" at checkout to save $5 on your order over $15.
- Crystalinne: Print With Love is closing at the end of 2019. So grab some awesome gifts and goodies before they’re gone! Limited edition shirts are 60% off in unisex XS - 3X. All prints are 25% off Hand painted coffin boxes, coffin trays, and ring boxes are 50% off. FREE US domestic shipping on all orders. Plus you can add gift wrap and upgraded shipping options at checkout! Shipping to UK, CA, and AUS available. Other world wide shipping upon request. PrintWithLove.com
- Sweetie Darling: Rock Springs Paper Craft: Intricate and swirly hand-marbled paper transformed into one-of-a-kind gift items, including note cards, coasters, and hand-stitched books. Great for stocking stuffers, hostess gifts, holiday swaps, and hard-to-buy-for folks. 10% discount for MeFites; enter SWEETIE at checkout. Sales tax collected on orders shipping within North Carolina.
- nonasuch: Handmade assemblage jewelry, incorporating vintage & antique components, found objects, and gemstone beads. nonasuch.etsy.com You can use the code INTERNETFRIENDS for a 10% discount. Thanks!
- cherryflute: I make knitted ornaments for flutes in many sizes (piccolo down to contrabass flute) Get #flutehats, #catonflute, #penguinonflute and/or #flutehearts- a handmade gift by me! Great gifts for flute ensembles of all sizes! [note: #flutehats and #flutehearts come in all flute sizes piccolo down to contrabass] #flutehats #catonflute #flutehearts #penguinonflute Also, if you order multiple styles, I will combine your shipping, refund you the extra shipping cost, and send the whole order together! Order 10 and get one free!
- obloquy: The Supernatural History Series brings the spooky past to life in vintage style! Each of these handmade paper good collections includes a new edition of a classic book, facsimile historical artifacts, and other assorted items. Choose from the Pharaoh's Curse Pack, the Zombie Horror Pack, the Ghosts of Christmas Pack and more. New illuminated manuscript greeting card sets available, too! Visit The Other Fox Shop (Etsy) and enter code MEFI13 for 13% off.
- d13t_p3ps1: Brain Basket Designs I make wire wrap jewelry with a wide variety of crystals and minerals, with a focus on pendants and necklaces. Use the coupon code METAFILTER to get 10% off your purchase!
- robocop is bleeding: The Corey Press - Hand carved madness from Salem, MA. Medieval UFO abductions, occult conspiracies, and Lovecraftian nightmares all inked and pressed to wood. Etsy | Threadless | Website
- magnetsphere: Everyone wants a nerdy, anatomical, cross stitch kit. Everyone! bluebamboo.etsy.com
- craven_morhead: I make custom light fixtures, desk items, and other handmade household items at Fox Meadow Woodworking. My work focuses on live-edge and reclaimed lumber, and I've recently finished a larger run of gift-sized products. I also do custom work, just ask!
- stilgar: I make jewelry, and all sorts of bicycle themed stuff. From earrings to flasks, to head badges for bicycles and wide array of stickers and vinyl decals. Future Crash I also have a shop for more...adult themed.. items. Raven's Head Toys
- boilermonster: If you feel a need to look like an extra from a Post Apocalyptic movie, this is the place. All the armor is made from old traffic signs or scrap metal.
- sucre: I’m a printmaker under the name Rare Press. I make printed goods and art prints by hand in my apartment! I carve rubber and linoleum, and sometimes draw or paint, too. Here’s my Instagram as well!
- norabelle: I sell posters and an increasingly infamous tea-towel featuring an infographic that contains every single Eurovision result in the history of the contest that Metafilter is so curious about. New for Christmas 2019 - there's also an infographic tea-towel summarising the league positions of the teams in the highest division of English men's association football since 1992. We call it the Top Flight Tea Towel. 15% off anything in the shop with FUEGO. Totally Flagulous
- watch out for turtles: Bright and colorful yarn made love in the form of women’s scarves, baby blankets, cup cozies, girls’ hairbows, and wall hangings. At my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/RandomOliveStitches
- MexicanYenta: My shop, Carizozo, is where I sell the bath and body products I started making because I live in New Mexico and I could never find anything that moisturized as well as I wanted. Body butter, solid lotion bars, organic liquid soap, and Bunny Balm. Most items are vegan, but a few use beeswax (I'm working on finding a substitute that works as well).
- yoga: Mile Wide Studio Modern Flair: Soft enamel pins inspired by mid century modern design. Pins are a variety of colors, metal, roughly 1"x1" and have 1 or 2 black rubber clasps. Designed by yours truly. Free shipping!
- augustimagination: GalaxyPeachPlaygear, quirky, nerdy, soft wristcuffs and other bondage gear (all pictures/shop content SFW), all designed and sewn by me. Happy to talk customs. Free pronoun pin if you mention your pronouns along with an order!
Books, Magazines and Zines
- xingcat: Suburban Holidays, a collection of holiday plays. Holidays at home. Sometimes that's the country, sometimes the big city, but more often than not, it's the suburbs. These seven short plays, written by Patrick Cleary, cover the spectrum from heartfelt to exciting to just plain funny. Christmas, New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day, and Halloween are featured in this collection of shorts. Link to book on Amazon.
- veggieboy: "How to Instant Pot" is your complete guide to the Instant Pot, the popular and occasionally puzzling multi-cooker appliance. It's also a cookbook with more than 100 recipes.
- mishafletch: I wrote a cookbook called Cooking is Terrible, which you can purchase at many ebook stores, as a bundle with epub, mobi, and PDF, or in paperback. It's aimed at anyone for whom cooking is not constant, unrelenting joy, and especially at people with limited time and energy.
- ManInSuit: ManInSuit: Sheila Heti (author, of, among others, How Should A Person Be and Motherhood) had the idea to collaborate with me on a book of everything I know. That book is The Chairs Are Where The People Go. It is about improvisation, municipal politics, how to teach a charades class, running conferences, feeling like a fraud, love, quitting smoking, and other things. [Amazon USA // Canada // UK] The New Yorker said: "A triumph of what might be called conversational philosophy... The world is better for these humane and hilarious essays."
- aniola: & sibilatorix, co-authors of Chocolatology: Chocolate's Fantastical Lore, Bittersweet History, & Delicious (Vegan) Recipes - Where does chocolate come from? What is it good for? What scientific studies (reputable and otherwise) have been done on it? And how do you incorporate it into every meal of the day and then some? We you into the world of chocolate, walking you through its lore, history, and uses.
- churl: Metafilter was so kind when we launched Incredible Doom, and Season 1 is now complete! Free to check out online, but best experienced as 6 meticulously handmade, offset-printed issues (with feelies!) for individual sale. Good for anyone in your life who knows the twin horrors of adolescence and the nascent internet of the early '90s—and what can happen when the two collide. Secret MeFi deal: when you order, ping firstname.lastname@example.org with your mailing address and I’ll personally send you a (very limited-quantity) chipboard slipcase I designed to hold the set Incredible Doom Season 1
- Scram: My new historical map is Cults!, featuring 30 offbeat faiths with rap sheets. The guidebook How To Find Old Los Angeles celebrates places where the past is present. Named one of 100 Must-Read Noirs by Book Riot, The Kept Girl is a fact-based mystery novel set in 1929 Los Angeles and starring the young Raymond Chandler, who is also celebrated in a stocking-sized Art Deco map. Plus: a seasonal sale on gift certificates for Esotouric's offbeat L.A. sightseeing tours (Black Dahlia, Bukowski, Birth of Noir), and back issues of Scram, a journal of unpopular culture.
- ikahime: ikahime maintains The Vespiary Book Bindery where she makes handsewn blank books from scratch. Hardback, paperback and leather. New and recycled materials. Box sets! Let me know that you're a MeFite, and I'll give you 10% off!
- Narrative Priorities: released two books this year, which combine into one very long very gay time travel adventure, set in Japan in the 1860s. Chronin is a historical SF duology which tells the story of Mirai Yoshida, an undergraduate in Time Travel Studies who finds herself marooned in the past. Think Mulan + Back to the Future + Rurouni Kenshin -- great for adults and older teens! Available from any bookseller, but if you'd like me to make you a custom sketch bookplate for gifting purposes, please go ahead and memail me and we can make arrangements!
- exceptinsects: The Little Women Cookbook: Novel Takes on Classic Recipes from Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy, and Friends Join the March family for joyous Christmas breakfasts, lovely lunches, scrumptious desserts, and more! A perfect gift for Little Women fans everywhere, the book is packed with timeless illustrations, favorite passages, historical trivia, and additional commentary by the authors..
- heurtebise: I’ve finally opened a web store to sell my stickers and comics. It’s mostly stickers right now, but I’ll be adding more comics soon.
- Mike Mongo: The Astronaut Instruction Manual. A fully-functioning instruction manual for the awesome kind of 8-to-12 year old preteens who await being given permission to live, work, and play in space as the next generation of astronaut space explorers. As seen on Metafilter. Audible audiobook. Book promo video. Endorsed by 5-year old podcaster Nate Butkus.
- scaryblackdeath: I write a rockin' military & post-military sci-fi series about student debt, corporate dominance, and space pirates called Poor Man's Fight. My urban fantasy series Good Intentions is a smutty, polyamorous comedy-adventure; the warning label will either turn you away or sell you on the whole series. Also, if you've ever seen a fantasy adventure and thought, "These monsters aren't being paid enough to throw their lives away fighting these shiny heroes," check out my fantasy series Wandering Monsters! All titles are available in ebook and paperback. The Poor Man's Fight and Good Intentions series are also available through Audible.
T-Shirts, Mugs, Cafe Press-type Items
- Wordshore: Libraries are cool, and learning stuff is cool, so Use Libraries and Learn Stuff. Items and ephemera includes greetings cards, a poster (the most popular product, bought by libraries and librarians in several countries and used in several protests and demonstrations), postcards, mugs, aprons and more. Zazzle get most of the money; the buck or two I make off each item go (for family reasons) towards organizations who research Progressive Supranuclear Palsy.
- Jon_Evil: Jon Good Chocolates is an artisan chocolatier making handcrafted bonbons and amazingly detailed chocolate space ships. Everything is vegan and mad from equitably sourced Ecuadorean dark chocolate.
- banished: Comfort Stick - Soft lips, face, and body. Perfect for dry, winter skin.
- tocts: Truths Too Terrible is an indie card game designed and published by tocts and French Fry. It's a simple game of deduction (think: "Clue, but a bit meaner") with a lovecraftian noir theme brought to life with beautiful hand-painted artwork.
- scottMontgomery: I’ve created a unique silicone baking pan I call the Chicago Coñata baking pan. It makes hollow cakes, omelettes, brownies, etc . The baked or frozen hollow shape is a Piggypotomae, ready to be filled, decorated and eaten.
- fraying: I grow hemp and make CBD tinctures and topicals on our small farm in Oregon.