Join 3,433 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Gestus
May 23, 2012 8:34 AM   Subscribe

Gestus is a moving image processing framework that uses computer vision techniques to explore the artistic possibilities of the vector as a symbolic form.
posted by Dr. Fetish (15 comments total) 13 users marked this as a favorite

This will make an excellent tool for selecting candidates for insertion into video mashups.
posted by LogicalDash at 9:02 AM on May 23, 2012

This is Very Interesting. Thanks for posting
posted by rebent at 9:09 AM on May 23, 2012

Pretty interesting. I want to know how they got Peter Lorre to narrate the videos, though.
posted by halfbuckaroo at 9:16 AM on May 23, 2012 [2 favorites]

The sidebar on his home page merits an NSFW tag.
posted by oneironaut at 9:17 AM on May 23, 2012

But otherwise, beautiful.
posted by oneironaut at 9:19 AM on May 23, 2012

This is good.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 9:30 AM on May 23, 2012

Yeah, that one entry on the sidebar took me by surprise. It seemed very... out of place.
posted by surazal at 9:49 AM on May 23, 2012

Considering that I was simply proud of myself for understanding what all the words in the post meant, this is obviously not something I would ever use, but watching the videos gives me that very strong "The future is now!" feelings that neat things do.
posted by MCMikeNamara at 9:52 AM on May 23, 2012

Pretty interesting. I want to know how they got Peter Lorre Ren Hoek to narrate the videos, though.

Fixed that for you
posted by Ratio at 9:57 AM on May 23, 2012 [4 favorites]

Apologies for missing the potentially NSFW sidebar item -- it's a project the author created (with his software) that uses Andy Warhol's original film as its source.
posted by Dr. Fetish at 10:16 AM on May 23, 2012

Oh wow, this is awesome.
posted by egypturnash at 10:30 AM on May 23, 2012

Wow! I played around with VLC's Hough transform video filter the other day, superimposed on Yasujir┼Ź Ozu films, but the result left much to be desired. The camera also never moves in Ozu films , so I'd love to see how Gestus would handle it. I totally want to get my hands on this. Does anyone know what's lurking in the Source section? (It's currenty down for maintenance.)
posted by quoquo at 11:02 AM on May 23, 2012

This looks like some pretty low grade optical flow computation. Is it part of the art that he jigged it up himself, instead of using a more professional package? They've been around for a long time, and there were some pretty good open source packages downloadable last time I checked.

This seems like circa 1979 results.
posted by StickyCarpet at 11:33 AM on May 23, 2012

there were some pretty good open source packages downloadable last time I checked.

Sticky Carpet - what packages might those be?
posted by nosila at 4:32 PM on May 23, 2012

It' been a while since I've tried compiling anything along these lines, and links do go dead.

Here's one that I would take a look at.
posted by StickyCarpet at 4:04 PM on May 27, 2012

« Older Life in Life:...  |  Should more British people com... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments