Christmas Movies - If you can't escape them, embrace them
December 1, 2013 10:58 AM Subscribe
posted by theora55 (86 comments total)
28 users marked this as a favorite
There are a lot of Christmas movie
plots out there; hard to believe some of them haven’t been filmed. Yet
. I can't list Brazil
as a Christmas movie no matter how great a movie it is. Watch it in January. Some Christmas movies resonate differently
for grownups. The Polar Express
didn’t make my list
because you should read the book
aloud every year on Christmas Eve. Highest-grossing
Christmas movies, for those so inclined.
Inside, my countdown of Christmas movies
, one a day from here to Christmas.
- Prancer, because it’s a nice kids’ movie and a good warmup.
- Bad Santa beat out The Santa Clause and its offspring.
- Lethal Weapon and Die Hard because I always think they’re the same movie.
- While You Were Sleeping because it’s okay to be a little bit sappy. Okay, a lot.
- A Midnight Clear because there’s still a war on.
- Elf, because it is required to be on the list. Rules is Rules.
- Stalag 17 because I mentioned there’s a war on, right?
- The Nightmare Before Christmas because it’s so beautiful.
- A Charlie Brown Christmas because Vince Guaraldi.
- Miracle on 34th Street because Santa.
- With Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol as a nice palate cleanser.
- Four Christmases, not sure why.
- Jack Frost with Michael Keaton. Nope, no slasher movies at Christmas.
- Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer, because The Abominable.
- The Muppet Christmas Carol is tied with Scrooged as the best Christmas Carol. Mr. Magoo doesn't count.
- The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (animated, 1966) because Dr. Seuss and Boris Karloff.
- Joyeux Noël because Merry Christmas sounds classy in French.
- Love, Actually, because Let's get pissed and watch porn.
- Life Of Brian because Bethlehem, Nativity, Wise Men.
- Scrooged, because Bill Murray.
- White Christmas, because Sisters.
- The Holiday because it’s romantic and funny and modern.
- Trading Places no reason necessary, you charlatans.
- It's a Wonderful Life because Zuzu’s petals.