Skip

Travolta's officially lost his marbles:
October 19, 2000 9:46 AM   Subscribe

Travolta's officially lost his marbles: "George Lucas and Quentin Tarantino and a lot of people saw [Battlefield Earth] and thought it was a great piece of science fiction." In an alternate universe, maybe.
posted by highindustrial (19 comments total)

Let him spend his money on this one. He'll only be more of a laughing stock then he already is. One would think that after the horrible reviews and almost non-existant audience, a person would see the "big picture".

But, I guess not. Maybe after this sequel, he'll fade back into obscurity and do some more "Look Who's Talking" films.
posted by da5id at 9:53 AM on October 19, 2000

It's funny how religious zealousness can blind you from the obvious.
posted by waxpancake at 10:00 AM on October 19, 2000

i didn't see the movie...i read the book...and i would have rather saved time and just watched the movie instead.
posted by th3ph17 at 11:37 AM on October 19, 2000

"This one time, at acting camp, I played a really nasty evil alien who had taken over the Earth and laughed at everything the good guy said. That was cool."

posted by salsamander at 12:11 PM on October 19, 2000

John travolta is not a pimp. He is a stupid.
posted by Hankins at 12:25 PM on October 19, 2000

Perhaps eventually Lucas will say what he really thinks, discourage Travolta from doing the sequel ("Battlefield Earth 2: Lost In BF.E."?), and let him voice one of the Gungans in the next Star Wars movie instead.
posted by JAcrimonaut at 12:47 PM on October 19, 2000

Oh course they loved it, saying anything else would result it litigation.
posted by skallas at 1:46 PM on October 19, 2000

Since Lucas inflicted Episode 1 on us, I wouldn't trust his ability to rate anything a "great piece of science fiction."
posted by Tubes at 2:01 PM on October 19, 2000

The last time Lucas did actual science fiction was with THX-1138.
posted by kindall at 2:13 PM on October 19, 2000

As anyone who's actually (been unfortunate enough to have) seen the movie can attest, the $70 million budget figure seems bogus, even factoring in Travolta's presumably exorbitant producing and acting fees. The production values on display are strictly Sci Fi Channel-caliber. I think the whole thing is an elaborate ruse to part investors from their money. The real funds were probably diverted to the Caymans. If I mysteriously disappear, this is my Pelican Brief.
posted by highindustrial at 3:30 PM on October 19, 2000

Actually Travolta didn't get paid squat. He actually helped produce it.

Considering they only told half the story from the book in the movie a 2nd one was planned from the start. They will force it down our throats.

posted by john at 3:55 PM on October 19, 2000

This sounds like the same argument that Schwarzenneger came up with for Last Action Hero.
posted by Cavatica at 3:57 PM on October 19, 2000

I haven't read the book. I haven't seen the movie. I will never read the book. I have to see this movie. A line from the Onion's review of it sticks with me: "A movie not so much seen as lived through." I regard this as a ringing endorsement, challenge-wise. I was on a flight back from New Orleans this week, and one of the movies they threatened to show was "Battlefield Earth." Oh, how I prayed. No. Instead, they gave us "Boys and Girls." Oh, how I drank.
posted by Skot at 4:06 PM on October 19, 2000

john: Travolta only invested $5 million of "his own" money -- deducted from his salary. The breakdown: he got $10 million up front, against $20 million if the film grossed $50 million-plus domestically (obviously, that didn't happen). The primary sugar-daddy in this equation was one Elie Samaha.
posted by highindustrial at 4:19 PM on October 19, 2000

It's good for my friends anyhow. Travolta makes all his movies in Montreal. Even the bad ones.
posted by mikel at 4:22 PM on October 19, 2000

Ah, OK.

It would be nice if a movie was made from some decent science fiction, but then it seems they will just destroy it through screenings that dumb it down.
posted by john at 5:23 PM on October 19, 2000

How can they force the sequel down "our throats." Are there just legions of people that completely ignore critics, advice, common sense and are forced to the theater? Is it the flashy advertising campaign or just the celebrities?

I'm guessing it was just sci-fi fanboys who are stimulated by the cookie-cutter crap found on the sci-fi network. Maybe they're aiming at these anti-social types and hoping they jump on the Scientology bandwagon. Hey they have money, they'll be computer programmers in a few years. Get em while they're young.

Am I the only one who finds the dianetics commercials just insulting. They take everyday problems and try to lift them to the status of a critical illness that can only be healed through the magic of Scientology.

posted by skallas at 7:41 PM on October 19, 2000

To be fair to Lucas, he has consistently described Star Wars as "fantasy".
posted by dhartung at 8:27 AM on October 20, 2000

I read and enjoyed the bood several times...as a kid. I don't know if I would again, I probably wouldn't bother reading it. Didn't see the movie, although I want to for much the same reason as Skot does.

And I'm definatly not a Scientologist.
posted by mutagen at 10:28 AM on October 20, 2000

« Older Gore and horses have something in common...big...   |   Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments