Join 3,418 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Pioneers of Love
January 23, 2010 3:34 PM   Subscribe

Pioneers of Love - a three part documentary about relations between the Ngadjonji people of Far North Queensland, Australia & early white settlers. More about the Ngadjonji people can be found here, including early photos, language, traditional stories, ancient history & more. [previously]
posted by UbuRoivas (6 comments total) 11 users marked this as a favorite

Many thanks for this.
posted by fourcheesemac at 4:31 PM on January 23, 2010

You're welcome.

(i jumped the gun on the "traditional stories" link, which isn't at all about the dreamtime mythology. also, i've requested a NSFW link from the mods)
posted by UbuRoivas at 6:55 PM on January 23, 2010

Holy. Best of the web, indeed. Thanks!
posted by PareidoliaticBoy at 7:11 PM on January 23, 2010

I've always been interested in the corollaries between the affects of Europeans on the native peoples of Australia/New Zealand and the Americans, specifically North America/Canada. Anyone know of any good places or examples of this happening in the media of books, movies, etc? My knowledge of this affect in Australia and NZ is limited; any specific media would be appreciated.
posted by ZaneJ. at 3:26 AM on January 24, 2010

Wow. I was born in Mareeba, near Atherton, and spent much of my childhood in Atherton, and other towns in the Atherton Tablelands, including Malanda (my father grew up on a farm there, I spent a little bit of time at Malanda Primary and Malanda Highschool) and I knew nothing 'Little Siberia'! Thanks so much for sharing this.
posted by Megami at 12:39 PM on January 24, 2010

Note: in the last video, there is mention of 'three aboriginal piccaninis'. In case people don't know, picannini is a pigeon english word for 'child' both in Australia and in Papua New Guinea Pigeon. In Australia, it specifically meant an Aboriginal child, though in PNG it usually just means child.
posted by Megami at 12:48 PM on January 24, 2010

« Older SS-N-22 Sunburn is the NATO designation for a Russ...  |  Dan Abnett, writer for 2000ad,... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments