"Mad Jack" Churchill
January 31, 2010 9:26 PM Subscribe
In May of 1940, "Mad Jack" Churchill became the only man in WWII to record a kill with a longbow.Lt. Col. John Malcolm Thorpe Fleming Churchill
posted by Upton O'Good (41 comments total)
35 users marked this as a favorite
is a man of many stories:
- He became one of the first British commandos, serving in Norway
, Italy, and Yugoslavia.
- He carried a claymore into battle, and at one point captured 42 Germans armed only with his sword.
- He also played the bagpipes in battle; when he was captured in 1944, out of ammunition, he played his bagpipes until knocked out by a grenade.
- He was saved from death under the Commando Order
by a German officer, and later escaped twice from camps.
- After the war, he became an avid surfer, and was the first to surf the Severn tidal bore
The full story is in the first link: a profile of Jack Churchill