Straight, No Chaser
June 17, 2010 12:31 PM Subscribe
Wordpress.org launches Wordpress 3.0.
The popular blogging platform and open source CMS continues to evolve with 3.0, “Thelonious” (wordpress versions are named after jazz musicians
). The official Wordpress.org announcement
has an excellent video tour and overview. Tune into some Monk
and catch up on the new features
(sixrevisions.com has a great overview
New features include:
- A new default theme, Twenty Ten. Webdesigner Depot offers some notes comparing Twenty Ten to the old default, Kubrick. Note that Twenty Ten is now also the default on Wordpress.com.
- A lighter look to the familiar admin interface, and a new admin "Help" tab. You can also choose an admin username and password during installation, instead of the default "admin". Webdesigner Depot has a good overview of the Wordpress UI development process.
- New APIs for theme developers, allowing users to customize backgrounds, headers, and menus through the admin interface. There is also built-in support for shortlinks.
- Custom post types. To get started, see Konstantin's excellent tutorials, Custom Post Types and Extending Custom Post Types.
- Improved support for custom taxonomies. See Justin Tadlock's intro to using taxonomies, and notes about using custom taxonomies to create a movie database, and refresher on custom taxonomies.
- Improved bulk updates for Wordpress, plugins, and themes, including a "Maintenance Mode" while the update is happening.
- The merge of Wordpress and Wordpress MU (Multi-User), allowing you to power multiple sites from a single Wordpress installation. WPMUtutorials offers some notes for MU users.
What are you waiting for? Go download Wordpress
, update your installation to 3.0
, or check out the 3.0 download counter