Something old (from the previous bills):
• Short, 3-year term of protection.
• Structure. It's an amendment to chapter 13 of the Copyright Act, which currently applies only to vessel hulls.
• High standard to qualify for protection, amounting to originality plus novelty. New and unique designs will qualify for protection, while everything else remains in the public domain.
• Independent creation defense. As in copyright, it's theoretically possible for creative lightning to strike twice, without triggering liability.
• No registration, period. This eliminates a previous hurdle, goes one step beyond copyright, and benefits emerging designers, my greatest personal concern over the past 5 years.
• Heightened pleading standards to discourage litigation, a.k.a. pleading with particularity.
• Home sewing exception. This expands the fair use-style provisions already in this chapter of the Copyright Act -- and means that the fashion police can't raid crafters' closets looking for illegal
• Substantially identical standard for infringement, largely borrowed from trademark. Probably the most publicly debated issue, and a compromise dating back to the initial hearing on the DPPA when I proposed a narrower "closely and substantially similar" as an opening gambit and a ranking member of the committee floated "virtually identical" as an alternative. There have been many iterations since, resulting in this compromise.
• Initial mood -- which is probably what a true compromise should engender. But nothing that another century of lobbying from fashion designers couldn't fix! In the end, this bill addresses the needs of emerging designers, offers recognition and protection to all creative fashion designers, brings the U.S. in line with IP law in other fashion design-producing countries, closes a legal loophole related to counterfeiting, and will force former copyists to actually design clothing or at least sign licensing agreements -- meaning more jobs for designers and more affordable choices for consumers. Not bad for half a decade's work.
« Older Soul Toons: DeStorm Power creates a one-man a capp... | Huge solar storm triggers unus... Newer »
This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments