Making a Difference
September 2, 2010 8:51 AM Subscribe
posted by zarq (4 comments total)
16 users marked this as a favorite
"Sure, Bono and Richard Branson can change the world. But there are millions of individuals making a difference who are not rich or famous." The Christian Science Monitor's ongoing Making a Difference
section focuses on "that unheralded community – 'to honor the decency and courage and selflessness that surround us.'”
* "No friend to the puu yai
(big shots) of organized crime, militant groups, or government, colorful forensic pathologist Porntip Rojanansunan solves human rights cases."
* 'The Aftermath Project': Photographers go back after the war
) "An experience in Bosnia led Sara Terry to create an organization to explore and document the consequences of conflict long after the world’s attention has turned elsewhere."
* Packing 400 lunches - and love - to serve the homeless
: "Kansas City's 'mother of the streets' rises at 4:30 each morning, packs 400 decorated bags, and then seeks out the homeless."
* How do you teach third grade math? "Reconciling diverse languages, experiences, and the playfulness common to all 9-year-olds, Ann Griffith’s job is to get her students to the right answers."
* In Pakistan, women's rights activist Sheema Kermani stages plays that stir controversy – and thought
* When scholars face threats, global networker Robert Quinn finds them safer places to do their work
. He's the founder and executive director of Scholars at Risk, in New York.
* Finnish teacher unlocks music for special-needs students
: "Markku Kaikkonen helps Marko Koivu and other students become skilled musicians, even though they don't read conventional musical notation."
* Protecting women and girls in China, where one child per family is the rule – and a boy the preference
. "Chai Ling was a leader of the 1989 student uprising at Tiananmen Square. Now she wants to help women and girls in her native China."
* Saving cultural treasures in war-torn lands
: "Stuart Gibson of UNESCO circles the globe to help endangered museums undergo rebirth."
* After seeing Mumbai's slums bulldozed, he now works to save and restore them
: "Crews once bulldozed thousands of slum homes in Mumbai, a metropolitan region of about 16 million people in India. Santosh Thorat sees a better way: Help residents fix them up."
* Teaching others how to give money
: 'Born into wealth, Marion Rockefeller Weber uses her Flow Fund Circle to teach philanthropists how to give money wisely.'
Little Bill Clinton:
A school year in the life of a new American. (A separate year-long special report, some of which shows up in the Making a Difference
Background on the CSM
from their 100th anniversary in 2008.