The Lord is my happening; he's where it's all at.
December 15, 2013 6:00 PM Subscribe
In the late 60s, Lutheran clergyman John Rydgren hosted the weekly radio Silhouette, broadcast across the US and in Vietnam, and squarely aimed at the flower power generation. Silhouette Segments (1968) was a double-album which compiled short excerpts from the show. I've compiled as many of the tracks as I can find (see below). But perhaps it makes sense to begin with the Hippie Version of Creation: "The Cat flipped a switch, blinked those big, eternal eyes, and he dug the switch action. 'Yeah... I'll take it.' "
- Music to Watch Girls By (2:52) "Check this out. They say God created people in the beginning of things. Girls included. Quite a design. God made it. You might think about that the next time you're watching a girl. Not to take the fun out of it. Just makes girl-watching mean more."
- Personality Doll of the Week
- Mercy Mercy Mercy
- Hippie Version of the 23rd Psalm (1:01) "The Lord is my happening; he's where it's all at. He tricks me sweetly - he never bugs me."
- Rinky Dink (2:50) "Man said, 'Can you help me think ten feet tall?' And God said, 'Even higher.' And Man said, 'How high?' "
- An Offering of Music (2:34) "In the middle of swirling light and driving sounds a man stood by his drums, cymbals, guitars and amplifiers, and he said - without saying words - 'Lord, I offer my music to you. The loud and soft sounds, the distortion, the emotion of my sound, I offer to you.' And God said, 'D'ya know what you're saying?' "
- Disadvantages of Life (2:27) "Escape if you can - you know, 'la la la' your way through life."
- Hippie Version of Creation (3:44) "The Cat flipped a switch, blinked those big, eternal eyes, and he dug the switch action. 'Yeah... I'll take it.' "
- Search It Out (1:37) "Look inside, girl - search it out."
- Transistor Father
- Plea of a Lonely Girl (1:15) "Summer wind is God in his gentle form of love saying, 'Hi!' "
- To Sir With Love
- The Happening (3:11) "They're young. They think."
- Groovin' on a Saturday Night
- Dark Side of the Flower (4:12) "In the garden grows a flower, bending low to the earth, its face in the dust. I can see the dark side of the flower. Can you see the dark side of the flower?"
- Dedicated to the One I Love (1:30) "Maybe my love isn't really love at all, because it can be a drag."
- Christmas Montage
- Portrait of Christ
- Sweet Home (1:00) "Home, sweet home. Right Mom?"
- The Lord is My Shepherd (0:55) "The Lord is my shepherd: in the city...in a crowd...in a jet, slicing through the sky...in the middle of war...at a funeral..."
- The Oil Painting (0:57) "He's reaching out to the sun - and from the intense look on his face, it seems he wishes he could reach way outside himself."
- The Air Terminal (0:56) "He loves everybody - not like a giant Santa Claus in the sky."
- Butterfly (0:57) "What could be more silent than a butterfly doing push-ups in a lemon meringue pie?"
- Here Lies the Church (0:58) "They say he opens your eyes to beauty, flowers, people, you and God - no drugs needed."
- Move Out in Style (0:58) "You ready for all the luxury one big, swingin' world can offer?"
- A Simple Stroll (1:02) "They say God seems kinda close to a person at a time like that - you know, when the go-go world can't crowd him out."
- The Noise (1:02) "No money-back guarantee you'll be free of noise, confusion, pain, pressures, decisions - uh-uh. He just says, 'Trust me, man.' "
- Great to Build Something (0:59) "They say that's the way God feels about what he's made."
- The Disadvantages (0:59) "If you decide to stay around and be part of the struggle for sanity, you might not wanna go it all on your own."
- A Beautiful Girl (0:53) "You can sure see what draws a guy to look at these ads. Nothing Man has made - God made girls. Of course, Man has given them the big 'sex symbol' image, but God made the initial form. Quite a design. Have to think about that the next time I'm watching a girl."
This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments