Sorted
August 26, 2007 11:56 AM   Subscribe

Celebrating Tony Wilson (realplayer - realplayer alternative here). BBC Radio One's weekly 2hr Essential Mix, this week featuring show host Pete Tong and Hacienda legend Mike Pickering. It'll be up for a week from today - tracklisting here.
posted by forallmankind (18 comments total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
 
It's available for download here. A damned fine tracklisting, and a nicely-done tribute.
posted by beaucoupkevin at 12:37 PM on August 26, 2007


Cheers, forallmankind (though I bet womankind are loving this, too). Would have missed this otherwise and it's going to make being up all night working on this article a bit less dull.
posted by Abiezer at 1:27 PM on August 26, 2007




This is a good mix! Highly enjoying it at the moment. I almost didn't click the link because of the realplayer mention, thanks beaucoupkevin.
posted by cazoo at 1:40 PM on August 26, 2007


Tony Wilson introducing The Happy Mondays in 2007.
posted by Poolio at 1:48 PM on August 26, 2007


Yeah, but the Mondays in 07 is really depressing.
posted by Burhanistan at 1:58 PM on August 26, 2007


Thanks for this fam (and the dl beaucoupkevin). I like this tong and spoon remix of Robyn.
posted by vronsky at 2:02 PM on August 26, 2007


BBC Essential Mixes are usually posted to this blog (Some ads NSFW!!!) shortly after they air along with the track listing.

Handy, if you're looking for an alternate download source.
posted by sparkletone at 2:05 PM on August 26, 2007 [1 favorite]


Yeah, but the Mondays in 07 is really depressing.

I'm not sure when that Monday's clip is from, but it's not 2007.
posted by Poolio at 2:11 PM on August 26, 2007


Ok... now that I've read the "more", I can tell you that the video is from 1990.
posted by Poolio at 2:21 PM on August 26, 2007


Stone Roses in 1989 from the full-on Madchester era.

But I'm betting that 90% of what made the Hacienda amazing was happening off the stage.
posted by empath at 2:49 PM on August 26, 2007


Also, now that i've started listening to the mix -- How fucking awesome were New Order?
posted by empath at 3:25 PM on August 26, 2007


But I'm betting that 90% of what made the Hacienda amazing was happening off the stage.

90% of what made the Hacienda amazing was what was in the tablets that people were taking for the first time. The other 10% was shit. It was a terrible club, that was pretty well owned by Manchester's gangsters. Look the wrong way at the wrong person and you'd end up with a shooter in your face.

The real tragedy of Tony Wilson's life is that he did so much for that city, and the one time he ever asked for something back -- like a little bit of police protection on the door of the club that he ran -- he got nothing. So much so that he ended up closing the place for the customers protection. And when he did re-open, the deal was done and the bad boys had the run of the place.
posted by PeterMcDermott at 4:39 PM on August 26, 2007


I'm not sure when that Monday's clip is from, but it's not 2007.

Ok, but unless you want to just punish your eyes/ears with awfulness, don't bother viewing the youtube vids of the recent Happy Mondays reunion (we need cash bad!) gigs. Unthinkable.
posted by Burhanistan at 5:23 PM on August 26, 2007


The police don't want to get involved in protecting night clubs because there's so much shady shit going on from everybody involved that its hard to know who the victims are. There's a lot of drug dealing (or indirect profiting from drug dealing) going on and a lot of taxes being evaded, even by the 'good' guys.
posted by empath at 6:01 PM on August 26, 2007


How fucking awesome were New Order?

They've had like one or two "really quite close to brilliant" moments on every album since Republic (which I like, but not nearly as much as something like Power, Corruption, and Lies, but yeah - you take in the material they made from 1980-1989 and they were a true force of innovation.

(I love love love Tong beatmatches that Hurley mix of "Fine Time" into "Blue Monday" into "5-8-6." Love it.)
posted by beaucoupkevin at 7:14 PM on August 26, 2007


I think it's computer mixed, because I can hear some pretty obvious ableton distortion here and there.
posted by empath at 7:54 PM on August 26, 2007


the hacienda was a top club i went from day 1 till the club closed never had any trouble good post forallmankind
posted by baker dave at 10:44 AM on August 27, 2007


« Older The Great Iraq Swindle   |   The KKK Took My iPod Away Newer »


This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments