Skip

He put a ring on it, and it felt like a kiss
June 13, 2011 4:58 PM   Subscribe

Also can we know admit, as a nation, that Single Ladies totally bites Buzz Lightyear?
posted by The Whelk at 5:02 PM on June 13, 2011

Wow, that song is really obnoxious.
posted by cogneuro at 5:13 PM on June 13, 2011

Wow, that song is really obnoxious.
posted by cogneuro at 5:13 PM on June 13 [+] [!]

Wow, threadshitting two comments in. New record? Anyway, LOVE this, and I don't love the original. Well done.
posted by tantrumthecat at 5:20 PM on June 13, 2011

Endless noise? That's about right.
posted by bwg at 5:21 PM on June 13, 2011

Metafilter: Endless noise? That's about right.
posted by wheelieman at 5:35 PM on June 13, 2011 [2 favorites]

Thank you, both for the video and the group. I'mma have me some fun mash-up listening tonight.
posted by Rory Marinich at 5:40 PM on June 13, 2011

For once, a mashup post that doesn't talk about X vs Y, as if the two different songs are competing against each other instead of working together. Never did understand the reliance on that naming convention.
posted by emelenjr at 5:52 PM on June 13, 2011

For once, a mashup post that doesn't talk about X vs Y, as if the two different songs are competing against each other instead of working together. Never did understand the reliance on that naming convention.
posted by emelenjr at 5:52 PM on June 13 [+] [!]

I always assumed that it was a holdover from the early 90s, when a hot, then-new electronic act would remix an older, more established pop/rock act.
posted by tantrumthecat at 5:59 PM on June 13, 2011 [1 favorite]

It says something about how well this was done that the original now sounds to me like a stripped-down remix of it.
posted by Beardman at 6:00 PM on June 13, 2011

Wow, threadshitting two comments in. New record?
posted by tantrumthecat at 5:20 PM on June 13 [+] [!]

Actually, my first post ever was a threadshitter, and it was the first comment.

Of course, I was really only trying to be clever with my first comment ever, but it pretty much just made me look like an arsehole.
posted by ronofthedead at 6:03 PM on June 13, 2011

I hate mash ups. I'm not a fan of SYTLs. I didn't love the original song. But this is sooooo much fun. Thank you. I smiled all the way through it. I really like the way they mad eit sound almost like a 60s song with just a bit of tweeking. Well done, I say!
posted by cccorlew at 6:15 PM on June 13, 2011

My favorite part about this is that I have a vision of The Whelk finding this and toe-tapping along. Thanks for this jolly little tribute.
posted by ms.jones at 6:15 PM on June 13, 2011

One third listen here. Just wanna quickly add that whomever put this together REALLY gets what makes a set of chord changes "Motown" (as opposed to "Not Motown").
posted by tantrumthecat at 6:22 PM on June 13, 2011 [3 favorites]

ON my THIRD listen, rather. Guh.
posted by tantrumthecat at 6:22 PM on June 13, 2011

I like both versions, fuck you very much.
posted by fungible at 6:27 PM on June 13, 2011

This actually reminds me what a great piece of arranging the original is.
posted by scrowdid at 6:27 PM on June 13, 2011

Well, the youtube comments suggest that the music here is original, so there's nothing for Beyonce to versus.
posted by 23skidoo at 6:30 PM on June 13, 2011 [1 favorite]

The backing track is original; this is a remix and not a mashup.

(on preview: what 23skidoo said)
posted by flatluigi at 6:36 PM on June 13, 2011

I love this post. Before this, I thought that the only way women ever sold their music was by running around in a circle in leotards while rhyming "it" with "it". Now I realize they actually dressed in awesome, classy dresses and, you know, sung.
posted by wayofthedodo at 7:02 PM on June 13, 2011

This made me smile, thank you!
posted by whitneyarner at 7:49 PM on June 13, 2011 [1 favorite]

wayofthedodo: "Before this, I thought that the only way women ever sold their music was by running around in a circle in leotards"

Wait wait wait. Forget whether you like the music or not. You'd really call that dance "running around in a circle"? Really?

Really?

wayofthedodo: "while rhyming "it" with "it". "

Feminine rhyme. See also.
posted by roll truck roll at 10:04 PM on June 13, 2011

This is really fun! Well done.

And shows how obnoxious the content filtering has gotten, that even a remix can not be watched in germany anymore. I'm glad that hidemyass is still around, if only the quality were better...
posted by ts;dr at 1:49 AM on June 14, 2011

Marvellous!
posted by prettypretty at 4:09 AM on June 14, 2011

I love this post. Before this, I thought that the only way women ever sold their music was by running around in a circle in leotards while rhyming "it" with "it". Now I realize they actually dressed in awesome, classy dresses and, you know, sung.

The dance in the Beyoncé video was adapted from a Bob Fosse-choerographed dance from the time period in which you state that women dressed in classy dresses and, you, know, sang. It wasn't just "running around in a circle in leotards."
posted by blucevalo at 6:44 AM on June 14, 2011

« Older I think Lulzsec is a pretty cool guy. eh hacks US...   |   Live And Learn Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments