October 8, 2012 7:52 PM Subscribe
The iEconomy: Apple and Technology Manufacturing.
posted by zarq (16 comments total)
29 users marked this as a favorite
Since January, the New York Times has been running a series of articles "examining the challenges posed by increasingly globalized high-tech industries," with a focus on Apple's business practices. The seventh article in the series was published today: In Technology Wars, Using the Patent as a Sword
. Related: For Software, Cracks in the Patent System
and Fighters in the Patent War
.Part 1: "An Empire Built Abroad"
(January 12, 2012)
* How the U.S. Lost Out on iPhone Work (Previously on MetaFilter)
* Motion Graphic: The iPhone Economy
Part 2: "A Punishing System"
(January 25, 2012)
* In China, Human Costs Are Built Into an iPad
* Graphic: Compliance by the Numbers
* The Lede Blog: Chinese Readers on the ‘iEconomy’
/ Voices of Chinese Readers on the 'iEconomy'
* Poll Finds Consumer Confusion on Where Apple Devices Are Made
* The Lede Blog: Questions for Li Qiang of China Labor Watch
* Economix Blog: Facebook Chat About the 'iEconomy' Series
Part 3: "Protecting Profits"
(April 29, 2012)
* How Apple Sidesteps Billions in Global Taxes
* Apple’s Response on Its Tax Practices
* Graphic: Shrinking Corporate Tax Rates
* Graphic: One Technique Apple Pioneered
Video: Charles Duhigg and David Kocieniewski Respond to Reader Questions and Comments
Part 4: "Retailing's King"
(June 24, 2012)
* Apple’s Retail Army, Long on Loyalty but Short on Pay
* Video: Video: David Segal Responds to Reader Questions and Comments
Part 5: "The Impossible Made Possible"
(August 5, 2012)
* In Wooing of Nissan, a Lesson for Tech Jobs?
* Graphic: Evolution of a Manufacturing Supply Chain
* Slideshow: An Automaker Migrates to Tennessee
* Room for Debate: Should the U.S. Seek More Tech Manufacturing?
Part 6: "Artificial Competence"
(August 19, 2012)
* Skilled Work without the Worker: A New Wave of Adept Robots Is Changing Global Industry (This article is linked in this post.)
* Video: The Robot Factory Future
* Video: Business Day Live: Nissan's Lesson
Part 7: "A System in Disarray"
(October 8, 2012)
* In Technology Wars, Using the Patent as a Sword
* Graphic: For Software, Cracks in the Patent System
* Graphic: Fighters in the Patent War