This Christmas Eve spare a thought for the Chrildren of Iceland, who will be suffering a traumatising visit from Kertasníkir
, or "Candle Beggar", the thirteenth and final of the strange and somewhat sinister Icelandic Santas, or Yule lads, who are the childre of the ogress Gryla
. Most of them don't seem to care if you've been bad or good - mainly they want to steal your food and wreck stuff.
The other Yule Lads:
- "Sheep-Cote Clod" - has peg legs, steals ewes milk.
- "Gully Gawk" - hides in gullies, steals cows milk.
- "Stubby" - Steals scraps of food, also known as Pönnuskefill ("Panscraper").
- "Spoonlicker" - Licks spoons.
- "Pot Licker", scrapes and licks pots.
- "Bowllicker" - hides under beds to steal food from bowls left on the floor.
- Hurðaskellir - "Door Slammer" - compulsively slams doors all night.
- "Skyr Gobbler" - devourers vats of skyr
- "Sausage Swiper" - devourers sausages.
- "Window peeper" - He likes to watch.
- "Door sniffer" - Smells out your cookies nad cakes and takes them.
- "Meat hook" - Steals meat through the chimney with a hooked pole.