@samantharonson are you picking me up or not? annabelle should of gotten me with you.
September 24, 2009 4:50 PM   Subscribe

"Twits": dramatic readings of our most prized celebrities twitter feeds. posted by pwally (9 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Could the Washington Post not find politician tweets to make fun of, being in DC?
posted by raysmj at 4:56 PM on September 24, 2009

That is a really great question.
posted by pwally at 5:10 PM on September 24, 2009

As someone who started a hate mail dramatic reading project this summer, I have to say that this series is abysmally unfunny. This isn't quite as embarrassing as the short-lived Mouthpiece Theater, which also came from The Washington Post, but it does share the same desperate desire to anticipate what people might think is funny, rather than simply acting on immediate instinct. Overcalculating is simply not how the Web works. These dramatic readings haven't subverted the initial tweets. They reinforce the perceived intent of the tweets and become redundant. The "joke" here is that because these tweets are banal, they should be read in a banal voice. But wouldn't it be more interesting if the dramatic reading was an attempt to understand the meaning of the original tweet? Wouldn't it be more interesting if the actors found an unexpected respect in the source they were apparently parodying? (These actors look like they were just happy to collect a check from the Washington Post in a tight economy.)

When people began sending me hate mail and I read more of these messages, I realized that there was far more going on within the sentences. I found unexpected ways of transforming ephemeral fury into something positive and fun. Simultaneously, the reason why the Keyboard Cat meme was so funny was because it provided a highly entertaining and utterly unusual context to preexisting Internet clips. It injected new life into clips that we thought were finished. It demonstrated the Internet's seemingly boundless capacity to remix, rethink, recontextualize, rework, and revise all the magical moments that had come before.

The people at the Washington Post don't understand these basic instincts. They should stick to putting out newspapers, not meddling with social media forces they cannot possibly comprehend.
posted by ed at 5:19 PM on September 24, 2009 [3 favorites]

celebrity = twitter + too many !!!! and ????? marks + inability to punctuate.
posted by HeyAllie at 5:20 PM on September 24, 2009

wow that is profoundly unfunny and I can't believe the mouthpiece theater. It's hard to believe adults made either of them.
posted by bhnyc at 5:36 PM on September 24, 2009

Could have been funny, the concept is sound. Execution pathetic.
posted by fire&wings at 5:51 PM on September 24, 2009

The reason I joined twitter: http://twitter.com/robcorddry
posted by e40 at 6:00 PM on September 24, 2009

OK, sorry, I should have linkified that: http://twitter.com/robcorddry
posted by e40 at 6:01 PM on September 24, 2009

Not nearly narcissistic enough.
posted by zerodark at 8:14 PM on September 24, 2009

« Older Or was that squeal thing you did supposed to be...   |   Colossal Green Volcano Rises In Italy Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments