Join 3,432 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Give me my #**$!! ice cream
December 27, 2013 9:40 AM   Subscribe

Have an ice cream cone. [via]
posted by Think_Long (21 comments total) 12 users marked this as a favorite

It made me smile.

I don't, however, think that I would have smiled had I been the one who wanted a #**$!! ice cream cone.
posted by leftcoastbob at 10:02 AM on December 27, 2013

Turkish ice cream is great. I've only had it once, really wish it was bigger in the US. It's got a totally different texture from regular ice cream (more cohesive), doesn't melt as fast, and has just the right amount of sweetness to it.
posted by FJT at 10:05 AM on December 27, 2013

doesn't melt as fast

Which the video makes obvious!
posted by sutt at 10:24 AM on December 27, 2013

Dondurma
posted by neroli at 10:33 AM on December 27, 2013

That guy's gonna get hit.
posted by goethean at 11:00 AM on December 27, 2013

I think this is absolutely wonderful to watch, and I'm pretty glad that the guy played along perfectly. I wonder how this would play in different countries, potentially ones with more blown out public displays of machismo.

I'm not as huge a fan of the youtube anti-jitter technology, which makes everything float and gives you the impression that you're seasick.
posted by RubixsQube at 11:16 AM on December 27, 2013

I'm not as huge a fan of the youtube anti-jitter technology, which makes everything float and gives you the impression that you're seasick.

Oooh, is that Youtube doing that!? I assumed that was some horrible in-camera processing.
posted by sutt at 11:21 AM on December 27, 2013

I'm pretty sure it's youtube (see here) but you are correct that it could be in-camera processing. Either way, it's real tough to watch for extended periods of time.
posted by RubixsQube at 11:37 AM on December 27, 2013

Seeing this, and the Chinese vendors that "draw" lollipops, and the fruit vendor who decoratively carves pineapple, I realize how competitive it is and how I would lose my shirt in something as simple food vending around the globe.
posted by sourwookie at 11:48 AM on December 27, 2013

That guy's gonna get hit.

Would you hit a guy who handles a 30 inch ice cream scoop like he's a ninja?
posted by surplus at 11:51 AM on December 27, 2013 [7 favorites]

Rubixqube: although the ice cream video didn't get to me, the example in the link you posted made me really queasy. I couldn't even finish the vid.
posted by sutt at 12:32 PM on December 27, 2013

this routine is widely practiced in Istanbul - i didn't know about it at first and had to learn the awkward way, trying to grab my cone, yet delighted with the guy's dexterity. The payoff was when I then sat eating my exceptionally chewy ice cream, watching the vendor doing this to other unsuspecting tourists
posted by helion at 12:34 PM on December 27, 2013

I picture George Michael Bluth getting wind of this practice, and trying it out at the banana stand, with unfortunate outcomes.
posted by sandettie light vessel automatic at 1:05 PM on December 27, 2013 [2 favorites]

This practice is actually a remnant from Attaturk's time, when all the sufi swordsmen were forced underground. These silly-seeming pranks are all actually modified positions of their basic offensive and defensive sword forms. So, while that rascally ice cream vendor seems innocent enough, he's actually calculating how best to bleed you out.
posted by planetesimal at 1:10 PM on December 27, 2013 [3 favorites]

This made me smile hardcore. I love cheesy street attractions!
posted by threeants at 1:19 PM on December 27, 2013

So, while that rascally ice cream vendor seems innocent enough, he's actually calculating how best to bleed you out.

You cannot imagine how badly I want this to be true.
posted by R. Schlock at 1:27 PM on December 27, 2013 [2 favorites]

We've made it this far and no one has commented on the ice cream man's epic mustache?
posted by ZaneJ. at 1:49 PM on December 27, 2013

Have you noticed the ice cream's man epic mustache?
posted by nostrada at 2:06 PM on December 27, 2013 [4 favorites]

I'd avoid staring at it in person, as that's how he captures your attention to line up the kill.
posted by planetesimal at 2:12 PM on December 27, 2013

This guy needs to set up at the Santa Monica Pier.

Would you hit a guy who handles a 30 inch ice cream scoop like he's a ninja?

No cone for you!
posted by Room 641-A at 2:19 PM on December 27, 2013 [1 favorite]

I love people who are in their element at work. This guy takes the cake.
posted by dobbs at 4:05 PM on December 27, 2013

« Older Twenty game developers you don't know, but should...  |  As the Christmas season winds ... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments